Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Century Link Fiber Coming Soon

Discussion in Networking started by Zenzr, Jan 16, 2015

1. Jul 8, 2012
    Excited for Century Link to release Fiber in my area. I am SO sick of slow internet (my sig is at my University, not my actual internet.)

I talked with online support today, no data caps, or anything like that. In the actual contract I think it says 2.5TB but still. I can manage I think.

I pay $45 for 10/1 MB/s right now, so this will probably be like $80 a month. But still, I'll manage lol.

Whatcha guys think?

2. Dec 30, 2006
    Don't do it. It's a trap. Look at what happened to tony.
  3. Aug 7, 2012
    Make sure that it's fiber to the premise, not fiber to the node. You won't get good speeds if the fiber doesn't come all the way to your home.
  4. Jul 8, 2012
    I thought about this. I talked with other people at my job (IT Help Desk) and they were pretty sure its 100% fiber.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
  5. Dec 27, 2012
    Got Fiber in my school. It's god damn amazing.
  6. Jul 8, 2012
    Indeed. There's no data limit either. If I get it I plan on hosting some servers for fun lol.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
  7. Jul 8, 2012
    Bumping this as I have a few questions pertaining to it.

So they (CenturySuck) have fiber coming 100% into the house, although I won't be able to get it because I can't afford to pay $140/month for gigabit.

But I have another question about CAT5e vs Cat6.

What are the differences?

I read online that both support up to at least 1gb/s transfers as I not only was to wire my apartment network for a possible future gigabit out but also the local LAN for gigabit for my local NAS and other things.

Is there anything else I should know about them? Which is better? My school's IT department has like hundreds of feet of CAT5e and we're allowed to take a cord here and there since we make our own and it's extra.
  8. Jun 11, 2012
    They same one just offers a little more oof. Speed is the same. Basically if you can find Cat6 as cheap go ahead, else, your fine with Cat5e.

I think till now it's cost effective to go Cat5e. I wired my parent house with that.
  9. Oct 20, 2012
    I can absolutely agree with that, as he knows how bad I desynced in our criminal mastermind run on GTA 5
  10. Dec 30, 2006

I will forever not always hate you for that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Apr 9, 2007
      I think that's been the minimum since 1999. I think it's been Cat6 for a few years?
    • Mar 20, 2011
      CAT 6 will allow you to run it farther than CAT5e. There is already CAT7. Unless you are running well over 300FT then you are fine with CAT5e.
    • Jul 8, 2012
      I would have to run it like 5-6 times around my apt to even get close to that lol.
      • Funny Funny x 1