Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Chat colors and accessing them.

Discussion in Counter-Strike: Source started by enviolinador, Apr 18, 2014

1. May 31, 2012
    For a while (since CS:S got support for it/I saw it on alliedmods) I've been trying to get console text to be displayed in color. I've noticed that it only requires the use of a given character (this one, I believe) and the hex number for the color to be displayed. I've been successful doing it on some servers, but on others (such as pF), I get a 'this message contains a restricted character' message. I don't know, however, if when on a map (whose access, from that I know, is root) it'll get displayed.

I'm writing this mostly as a question. I'm fairly sure using sm_say would bypass said filter (but I feel it'd be a bit intrusive, so I'd rather not to it). As my intention isn't malicious on any grounds, it'd be cool if you guys could tell me if it'll work or not (to either use it or not beforehand). The change isn't much but I feel having the map's text displayed on a different color could help players notice the commands better.

EDIT: On a side note I've noticed that, on servers that don't have the extension (?) needed for this, the text will be displayed as in vanilla CS:S. That's quite neato since it gives me confidence in the messages being readable even without the colors. The issue comes if the servers (such as pF) block the message completely.
  2. Jan 30, 2013
    Known about this since the day they added hex support in source/tf2. Was fun using it on server that supported this lol. Like you said normal chat gets blocked, unless the plugin was configured in a way that the message still printed like my old tf2 community's plugin did. I would assume admin chat could still apply with this "feature" but I wonder if maps/console still would apply to the blocked character rule. I state console/admin chat because it needs to be a ore configured colored message which admin chat is. Tho I never see ze maps use it for chat messages; dunno why. Also, you probably don't need the special character. I think a plugin could be made, or probably does exist, To where just the hex is needed. Sorry about bad wall of text. Mobile sucks
  3. May 31, 2012
    Well from what I know I could just sm_say the fuck out and it'd work, but I feel it's too intrusive and it looks awkward with the ADMIN (ALL): on green. I'd like to know if the direct say from the server console bypasses it.
  4. Jan 30, 2013
    Direct say as in using the say command? If so it Would still be bound by th same rule, needing a colored message ALA admin chat. AFAIK it won't work with just "plain" text strings. Also for those who are lost, this is the hex thing were talking about http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=71243231
  5. May 31, 2012
    It does work, though, as long as you add the char + hex for the color. I've been doing it on a few servers now. What I wanna know is if it will get blocked.

Also, I feel we're kinda saying the same and going in circles perhaps maybe.
  6. Jan 30, 2013
    I like circles tho :frown: . And if it's blocking you it will most likely block the map/console message. I don't think access level maters. Plugins can bypass it with the right hooks like u see in my picture though it still shows the message. It's possible it's a server/sourcemod setting that could be disabled (some servers don't give the block message) for the map duration. But I'd ask someone who knows more than I like Kyle. EDIT, I think the blocking of messages is part of smac
    RedM00N, Apr 18, 2014 Last edited by RedM00N, Apr 18, 2014
  7. Apr 9, 2007
    It won't here.