Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

CS:S Chat Colours (And improved Chat Filter)!

Discussion in Server Updates started by Kyle, May 28, 2012

1. Apr 9, 2007
    So after Dillinger and a few others were getting mad at me today (They still haven't posted their colours...), I've "released" this.

You have to be at least a Donor to use Chat Colours. The command is sm_cmenu (or !cmenu in chat).

They look like this:
    [IMG]

Would you like your badass colour to be added to the list? Sure, post and we'll see how it looks.
    If you find an exploit with my new chat filter, I'll assign you your very own colour.

Thanks!

Thanks to Grudge, Harvey, Nena and a few others for making fun of me for having values attached to my name, and breaking chat a number of times.

EDIT: To clarify, don't donate because of this. While it works at the moment (Carried over from TF2), I can see Valve (Alfred) removing this when they/he finds out.
    • Wizard! x 6
    • Like x 3
    • Winner x 3
    • Artistic x 2
    • Good Idea x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Useful x 1
      Kyle, May 28, 2012 Last edited by Kyle, May 30, 2012
    • Sep 25, 2010
      @Kyle :> on ze the colours dont match up with their names on the menu
    • Apr 9, 2007

(I only test ZM)
    • Jul 28, 2011
      • Like Like x 1
      • Sep 25, 2010
        Edit:> can we make the colour chosen to save when we leave the server.
        Detonator, May 28, 2012 Last edited by Detonator, May 29, 2012
      • Feb 1, 2011
        @Kyle did you check the post? I posted like 2000 colors. This is awesome and you are the man!

EDIT: I'll look through those charts and pull out some colors I'd like to see. As it is now, the colors are too washed out / pastel-ish...most of them look almost the same in chat besides purple. I liked it better the way you had it earlier, where they had a bit more saturation.

EDIT2: Could you give me the hex values of the current colors so I know a starting point on the chart as far as saturation goes
      • Apr 9, 2007
        Red maybe. Any suggestions? Black would look horrific. I've yet to hear of a "Light Black", besides Gray of course.
      • Feb 9, 2012
        can u explain more of what the chat filter is? so we know what exploit we're looking for. also what about teal color
      • Apr 9, 2007
        • Like Like x 1
        • Feb 18, 2011
          I am pretty sure a noname admin mod used a little while back (when mani was alive, so yeah, a while ago) colours like this were being used. Why would they remove it? Not like you are modding the engine.. (unless you are doing it, whatever i dunno)
        • Jun 4, 2006
          black? last thing we want is chat colors to become annoying as fuck... everyone hates the guy who posts white text on a white bg or black text on a black bg.. let's not grant anyone the ability to be 'that guy' in-game.
          I'm also curious what the chat filter involves.

@Kyle if I want to pick out some possible colors what format do you need 'em in for easy implementation? just regular ol hex or what? I might be able to get some better ones than the easter theme we got goin' on. Keeping them all visible & easy to read regardless of bg color will be a must.

Also I think we should ditch the lime color / not use any color that's close to the main admin chat one. I keep finding myself gravitating my eyes toward players using lime thinking its an admin saying something important annnnnd it's not. I'd either remove Lime or make it more yellowish or something... anything that wasn't near what the admin one is.
          Brian, May 29, 2012 Last edited by Brian, May 29, 2012
        • Feb 9, 2012
          Well after experiencing it for a while, it feels quite annoying to see and read the texts. Could we maybe leave it normal but instead have player names in color? That way there's no confusion in the text but players can still have that uniqueness.
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Nov 14, 2010
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Feb 24, 2011
              I approve of this idea, although i'd stay away from colors too difficult to see IMO.
              Great update Kyle!
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Nov 14, 2010
                USE IT!!!
                [IMG]
                • Agree Agree x 2
                • Informative Informative x 1
                  Luke, May 29, 2012 Last edited by bellabasic, May 29, 2012
                • Feb 1, 2011
                  @bellabasic those colors are awesome - I dig!

My favorite color to type in would be 00FFFF or 00CCFF !

As much as Kyle hated my chart I'm gonna post this one on here because I think it's a good reference for people to figure out their fave colors' respective codes :neutral:

[IMG]

EDIT: Whatever the color of the current "Yellow" is, I really like. It's like a tan / pearl white and it really stands out but isn't as harsh as pure white. I think it's somewhere between FFFFCC and FFFFFF
                  • Artistic Artistic x 1
                    dillinger, May 29, 2012 Last edited by dillinger, May 29, 2012
                  • Jun 4, 2006

blue-75sat-40d9ff

Blue Purple - 559dff

bluepurple-559dff

Purple - ac7eff

purple-ac7eff

Light Purple - c5a1ee

lightpurple-c5a1ee

Pink - ff6cc9

pink-ff6cc9

Yellow - ffec40

yellow-75sat-ffec40

Orange - ff9326

orange-85sat-ff9326

Bluish Green - 30f09d

bluishgreen-80sat-30f09d

Teal - 54cdcd

teal-54cdcd

Peach - f69679

peach-f69679

Brown - c68f59

brown-c68f59

Lime - 9cd949

lime-9cd949

And attached is the .PSD template in case anyone wants to try and come up with some more / alternative ones. Just change the color overlay fx value on the text layer.

Attached Files:

• Wizard! Wizard! x 2
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • Good Idea Good Idea x 1
                      Brian, May 29, 2012 Last edited by Brian, May 29, 2012
                    • Feb 1, 2011

or maybe 40c7c7
                      • Like Like x 1
                      • Nov 14, 2010

[IMG]

Instead of Blue-Purple
                        INDIGO - 5658ac
                        [IMG]
                        • Like Like x 2
                          Luke, May 29, 2012 Last edited by bellabasic, May 29, 2012