Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Clarification on Beaconing?

Discussion in Help Desk started by P@P@, May 29, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 16, 2012
    On ZM, if an admin beacons himself then a player asks for a beacon, the admin must give the player a beacon, yes?

Ex:
    Admin 1 gives himself a beacon on ZM map after zombie has been chosen.

Player 2 sees Admin 1 give himself a beacon and asks for one.

Admin 1 realizes Player 2 has asked for a beacon but refuses to give Player 2 a beacon.

Is this okay?
  2. Sep 14, 2008
    Dani, May 29, 2013 Last edited by Dani, May 29, 2013
  3. May 31, 2012
    I've been told that the admin should beacon other players if he or she is gonna beacon himself. I think I saw this in the thread about orange !spec himself.

edit: Dani beat the shit out of me to this thread :razz:
  4. Feb 3, 2012
    If the player is a human and wants a beacon then you should give them one. :razz:
  5. Oct 29, 2010
    I was always under the impression that beacons were at admin discretion, Kyle's reply to my sarcastic comment in my thread was the first I'd ever heard about having to beacon someone.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • May 31, 2012
      Hmmm could be an interesting turn around in the topic; is it really a feature meant to be used administratively or as a perk?
    • Apr 9, 2007
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Oct 29, 2010

Anyhow, I'll continue to beacon everyone that asks for it. :lying:
      • Jul 16, 2012
        Was just asking because an incident occurred this morning (read the Ex.).

Final conclusions though? Unless I missed it I don't see a definite answer regarding the subject.
      • May 31, 2012

^ not definite :razz:??
      • Jul 16, 2012
      • Aug 2, 2010
        I give beacons to players that ask for one UNLESS they're all in the same spot.

If I've already turned the bacon on myself and someone in the same spot asks for one, I normally just beacon them and turn mine off.

It's annoying as hell when you have several beacons going on at the same time in the same place.
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Jul 8, 2012
          Also it really doesn't help anything besides clogging up chat too.
        • Apr 9, 2012
          So, as of I am getting this... If I want to beacon myself for no reason other than to let an admin forcibly work (also for no reason) he should give me a beacon no matter what? Sounds pretty abusive
        • Jul 14, 2010
          Beacons are an unnecessary command because they aren't used to enforce any rules, so no I would say admins do not have to give out beacons. There's no rule saying they have to either, it's not part of the job of monitoring the server.
        • Feb 27, 2012
          It's nice to make the people happier (it seems nobody is ever happy -_-) by doing it when they ask for it. But i don't see why it should be a thing they would HAVE to do if it is asked. It's just really a "fun" thing most of the time.
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Jul 16, 2012
            I understand all of the points made, however; if an Admin beacons himself and refuses to beacon anyone else, does that not become abuse of power? As penguin said, it's an unnecessary command.

Situation that brought this up : While in ZM earlier this morning Eradicate placed a beacon on himself, a player (his damned name slipped my mind) and myself asked for a beacon as well, after a bit of us both asking, we asked nightcrawler if he would (he didn't), he in-turn asked Eradicate if he could see chat. Eradicate responded with yes he could but he refused to give others beacons.
          • Feb 8, 2013
            I don't mind handing out beacons to people who need it, but if you start getting on the admin's nerves and whine and complain to them for a beacon, then I'll not beacon that player.
            Post Merged, May 29, 2013
            Abuse of power means you use admin commands either for advantage, or you misuse it in a way, or you just continuously spam it.
          • Jul 14, 2010
            This seems far too silly and minor to be admin abuse :sweat:
            I don't like the idea of telling admins they have to give out beacons or else they risk losing their admin, which is what admin abuse leads to.
            • Agree Agree x 3
            • Mar 12, 2008
              I don't beacon if there's already two active ones.

Any more than that and the beacon "blip" gets really annoying. This is extra work since you need to disable it once they turn zombie, but a few are good about saying "un-beacon me, admin!" so it's not as bad. They get a beacon whenever they like.
            Thread Status:
            Not open for further replies.