Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Compiling issue

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by Purpzz, Oct 2, 2012

1. Dec 3, 2011

I got a strange/dumb problem with my map compiling..
    So it goes like this..

So, my version 4 from Exorath is done, now when i try to compile it in full normal mode, i keep ending on this error: numplanes + fakeplanes >= MAX_MAP_PLANES

I know what this is and what this means but i have tried everything to get around it and nothing works so far.
    The strange thing about this is that in my current version (exorath v3.5) the map has a lot more func_detail / world geometry brushes then in version 4, and when i want to compile version 3.5 everything just goes fine, but i have made more detail work in to props with propper in the v4 so i should have less brushwork then version 3.4 but yet now he gives me this weirdo error and i dont understand it anymore.
    How can a map with less brushwork then the current version can get this error??

- Current map brushwork: around 94%
    - Version 4 (last succeed compile): around 85%

So this is weird, anybody an idea please?
    Dont come of with the google answers please, i already saw them and tried them out, so far none helped :frown:

Thanks for the one who can help me with this!

Compile log for more information:

Code:
    materialPath: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\Purpzz\counter-strike source\cstrike\materials
    Loading C:\Users\Purpzz\Documents\Programmas\Counterstrike source\z - in progress\ze_destruction_of_exorath_v4\ze_destruction_of_exorath_v4.vmf
    ConVarRef mat_reduceparticles doesn't point to an existing ConVar
    Could not locate 'GameData' key in c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\Purpzz\counter-strike source\cstrike\gameinfo.txt
    Patching WVT material: maps/ze_destruction_of_exorath_v4/nature/blendmilrock001_2_wvt_patch
    Patching WVT material: maps/ze_destruction_of_exorath_v4/de_dust/rockwall_blend_wvt_patch
    Patching WVT material: maps/ze_destruction_of_exorath_v4/nature/blendmilground016_8_wvt_patch
    Patching WVT material: maps/ze_destruction_of_exorath_v4/ground/blendsnow_asphault_wvt_patch
    fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
    Material RealWorldTextures/glass_break is depending on itself through materialvar $crackmaterial! Ignoring...
    Material RealWorldTextures/glass_break is depending on itself through materialvar $crackmaterial! Ignoring...
    0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...100...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10Processing areas...done (0)
    Building Faces...done (0)
    Chop Details...done (1)
    Find Visible Detail Sides...
    Merged 1746 detail faces...done (1)
    Merging details...done (0)
    FixTjuncs...
    PruneNodes...
    WriteBSP...
    done (0)
    writing C:\Users\Purpzz\Documents\Programmas\Counterstrike source\z - in progress\ze_destruction_of_exorath_v4\ze_destruction_of_exorath_v4.prt...Building visibility clusters...
    done (1)
    Creating default LDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
       skybox/sky37*.vmt
     ! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
    Creating default HDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
       skybox/sky37*.vmt
     ! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
    Finding displacement neighbors...
    Finding lightmap sample positions...
    Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
    Building Physics collision data...
    done (8) (1742954 bytes)
    Placing detail props : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
    Compacting texture/material tables...
    Reduced 18979 texinfos to 4047
    Reduced 363 texdatas to 290 (16095 bytes to 12173)
    Writing C:\Users\Purpzz\Documents\Programmas\Counterstrike source\z - in progress\ze_destruction_of_exorath_v4\ze_destruction_of_exorath_v4.bsp
    24 seconds elapsed

4 threads
    reading c:\users\Purpzz\documents\programmas\counterstrike source\z - in progress\ze_destruction_of_exorath_v4\ze_destruction_of_exorath_v4.bsp
    reading c:\users\Purpzz\documents\programmas\counterstrike source\z - in progress\ze_destruction_of_exorath_v4\ze_destruction_of_exorath_v4.prt
    3571 portalclusters
    10518 numportals
    0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10Optimized: 133275 visible clusters (8.01%)
    Total clusters visible: 1664594
    Average clusters visible: 466
    Building PAS...
    Average clusters audible: 710
    visdatasize:1021903  compressed from 3199616
    writing c:\users\Purpzz\documents\programmas\counterstrike source\z - in progress\ze_destruction_of_exorath_v4\ze_destruction_of_exorath_v4.bsp
    3 seconds elapsed

[Reading texlights from 'lights.rad']
    [1 texlights parsed from 'lights.rad']

Loading c:\users\Purpzz\documents\programmas\counterstrike source\z - in progress\ze_destruction_of_exorath_v4\ze_destruction_of_exorath_v4.bsp
    Patch Sample Radius Clamped!
    15260 faces
    numplanes + fakeplanes >= MAX_MAP_PLANES
    Purpzz, Oct 2, 2012 Last edited by Purpzz, Oct 2, 2012
  2. Nov 11, 2011
    Off the top of my head, if I'm not wrong, there is a percentage overhead when compiling. Hate to say this, but can't you make more models? :tremble: lol
  3. Feb 24, 2011
    Texture application tool --> browse --> select the "dev/trigger" texture
    hit replace
    select nodraw in the right hand window --> replace!
    Already done / still not working? No worries, just go all out on propper.

Not sure what would cause it to happen all of a sudden, there might have been some mixup somewhere. Or maybe Valve came along and messed something up.
    Best of luck.
  4. Dec 3, 2011
    Basicly not, in version 3.5 lets say (rouch counted) the map has like 60% propped.
    Version 4 has like 90% propped, almost no func_detail left, and thoose who are left, are not able to make props out duo the heavy collisions thing they would need.

All my triggers are already nodraw from version 2.1 (around the time you handle me over a predator vmf and i saw you used nodraw, then u told me why and i start using it to :razz:)
  5. May 31, 2012
    Are you sure it's a plane/face issue and not a VRAD one? I had a lot of problems with lights and sometimes it said something along this lines, even with 'safe' numbers on planes and faces.
  6. Apr 9, 2012
    Compile without func_details and see if it works (so you can check if it is not simply another cause).
    Doesn't surprises me that hammer fucks up right before an release. If I was in Purpzz place I would be like: "Well, as if I haven't seen that before... :yawn:"
  7. Dec 3, 2011
    I have to be honest no clue, the map has no leaks that i know, light i dont think that would be any issue to, and the compile log is clean just there he stops without saying anything more, its kinda guessing whats wrong without even know where to start looking lol

Yes, i already did (disabling my triggers, then func_detail) on both it compiled without problems, so i think there is the issue but the map has like every detail work from v3.5 is propped to reduce the brushwork and the current func_detail work i cannot prop duo pieces floor/roof/wall
  8. May 31, 2012
    When does it exactly stop? Any chance of copying the log into a pastebin and posting it here?
  9. Dec 3, 2011
  10. Nov 11, 2011
    MAX_MAP_PLANES supposed maximum limit is 2^16. You have 15260 faces. 2^16 - 15260 = lots of numplanes. Someone want to continue my thought?
  11. Dec 3, 2011
    Hm exorath v3.5 has over 18.000 faces.. i dont think thats the problem but with hammer we never know sure:thinking:
  12. May 31, 2012
    It does happen on VRAD. Take out lights/quickhide a few.

EDIT: Try setting the lightgrid of all your map's textures to 32 if it's not that already.
  13. May 17, 2011
    If you have an abundance of situations like this:

(Note where the brushes are in relation to the BROWN grid lines)
    [IMG]

It may be worth reworking them to this:

[IMG]

The brown grid lines are automatic vis cuts, but they also cut up your brushes as well which creates additional planes.

You can safely ignore the HORIZONTAL brown grid lines in the SIDE/FRONT views, these are just for grid consistency in hammer and they do not cut anything up.
  14. Dec 3, 2011
    Didnt work out :frown: i set all textures to 32 and tried but still that error thing pops in, nothing seem to be changed in the compile log, such stupid bugs argh
  15. May 31, 2012
    Try taking out lights and making the lightgrid higher again. I had this very same problem, and moving to a 32 grid solved it, however, exorath is a larger map, so it might need more. Try 64. If nothing, remove lights.

Also, remember to press alt+p to see if you have any corrupted solid that might be fucking shit up.
  16. Dec 3, 2011
    I found it!! That last thing you said '...see if you have any corrupted solid that might be fucking shit up' got my mind thinking and now the map compiles fine, the problem are my hitboxxes i made as replacement for the solidness on my bosses, to still get the sparkling effect when they shoot him (you told me once to use transparent textures with metal surface and i did) only the hitboxxes seem a bit to complex :/ Will have to rebuild them, finaly its fixxed!

Thanks Enviolinador and all the others trying to help me out! Loves <3
  17. Nov 11, 2011