Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Computer Build Progress

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Anathema, Apr 10, 2012

1. Aug 18, 2006
    I just have one suggestion, one that would save you ~$500:

Instead of buying 3960X, buy the 3930. The ONLY difference between the two is that the 3960X is clocked 100MHz higher, and you can easily overclock the 3930 to well above that (in the 5GHz range, even). At the end of the day, the 3960X is a 3930 clocked 100MHz higher with a $1000 price tag on it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Feb 18, 2011
      I already have it rofl, I got it before any of the other cpus for LGA 2011 came out (I got it around late November as an early x-mas present.)
    • Aug 18, 2006
      Oh, well in that case, enjoy! Another upside to the extreme series is that I believe they select the highest quality CPU dies per wafer and use those for the Extreme series. The same goes for the Xeon CPU's, so you should get a higher overclocks at lower voltages.
    • Feb 18, 2011
      Coolio, and I need a heatsink, I almost forgot about it. Adding that.
    • Mar 19, 2011
      Man I don't get it how you can drop 1000$ into a cpu, If I had the money I might do the same just to be blowing money on a crazy build. But whats the reasoning? Are you just blowing money, or is their a some serious thought behind your purchase?

Let me know because I might be missing out on something, even though I just game.

Also, for a mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131700
      plus ASUS has bomb ass customer service.

Also, if you are going to drop all that money might as well get a soundcard too, unless your mobo that you are getting just has ridiculously high quality on-board audio.
    • Mar 2, 2012
    • Apr 9, 2007
      Why are you spending 350 on an HDMI cable?
    • Jan 8, 2012
      1000$ diamond braided cable 333$ per foot of cable. Pretty ridiculous lol.
    • Feb 18, 2011
      I just sat there reading the reviews...wow some of them are pretty funny.
    • Apr 9, 2007
    • Feb 18, 2011
      Why are you asking me all of this? Parents bought the cable for a home theater a little while back, just as they bought the 1k$ processor. Ask them.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Nov 11, 2011
        I recall someone offering $1 million USD to anyone that can prove that Monster cables are better then a regular HDMI cable. No one claimed the prize. The fact is, they are the same whether you buy a thousand dollar one or this one from Amazon. Granted, there are different cables that can function better than others, but even then, you're paying maybe $30 tops. $1000? Noob! lol
      • Feb 18, 2011
        There ya go.

I said that too, but it came with a lifetime warranty with money back for the full price and the guys apparently told my parents that the lifespan on that thing is 30 years (even though they could be outdated by then.)

If you are going to post criticizing the price, read the whole thing before asking me 'why did you buy that' or 'why would you spend so much money on that'. And remember this is about my computer, not about an HDMI cable.
      • Apr 9, 2007
        What. What products are you actually purchasing? Not really interested in what has already been spent as I can only complain.
      • Jan 10, 2009
        i love my 570's. i would suggest them to anyone. but with prices dropping i would go with the 580. if you don't want to fork out the extra cash for the newest of the new.

OC them and voila instantly better card.
      • Dec 6, 2011
        Alright where to begin. @Ray , don't forget, it also has 3MB larger L3 cache, and the 3960k also can overclock quite better than the 3930k, but honestly in the end I'd still be getting the 3930k XD

I've seen $1,000 HDMI cables in action and $5 HDMI cables in action, not even a difference. @Kyle @Anathema

Don't listen to NBK, he's being a derp about the sound card. You should only think about getting one if you get some huge ass speaker system, and then there's still some debate.

Alrighty, for the heatsink, I was going to say get the V6 GT like I have, but the fans aren't even held on tight, they're in position by just clamps, so if I go above 30% or below 100% on their fan speed, I get an extremely loud and annoying high pitched 'fan-hitting-something' noise. I'd say get something basic like this Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO until you water cool. Very cheap and efficient, and the Hyper 212 series has had great reviews.

For a keyboard, might I recommend the Logitech G19? If it's too expensive, try out the Logitech G510. They're both excellent keyboards and the LCD's can use many different programs to monitor anything you wish. Some games even have plug-ins for them, ex: full out quest list for Borderlands while you're playing.

Love your power supply choice :thumbsup:

Honestly have never dealt with Networking cards, I've always been a few feet from my router.

For the monitor, it's really nice, though it doesn't have LED backlight if you like that (not a big deal).

On graphics cards, the 580 has dropped enough for me to give it a thumbs up, since we've talked about that $389 MSI card =P Or you can still go for the sexy 680 if you'd like. At this point in time I wouldn't recommend an AMD card, since the 680 is better than the 7970 in about every test, and still costs less, something I didn't see coming at all. The GTX 570 isn't something you should go for, the only reason Brownieapple's are probably running well is because he has the 570 HD 2560MB edition, which is only $20-$30 cheaper than a few 580's. Honestly this is up to you. If you get a 680 now, you can run solo with it, even if you get a triple monitor setup. I'd say grab a 2nd 680 when the 700 series comes out, and you'll be good for at least the next 2 years. If you grab a 580, you'll probably run into graphics memory limitation before anything else, though this would again, be down the road (unless you try to do a tri-monitor setup).

When water cooling comes, I'll help you out on that, I got quite a few products in mind that I've used in the past for builds I done for others.

For an HDD, I'm pretty sure you're good for now, unless you want even more space, then wait til the prices go back to normal, and pick up what you'd like.

SSD's are looking pretty nice right now, but STAY AWAY FROM OCZ. The best SSD for the money that I've found out there was the Plextor M3 Series. Got a 128GB one for $149.99, just realized it went up $30 right after I bought it. The reason I recommend this drive is that it has some of the fastest SSD speeds, and right now one of the lowest flaw/failure rates. It's <0.5% right now, which is amazing. The only thing about this drive I'd consider a negative is that you shouldn't fill it up all the way, maybe leave 15GB-20GB of space on it at all times, because when you fill it up, it can lose up to 10-20% of it's speeds, like most of the SSD's out there right now (the larger the capacity of the drive, the less it slows down). Their new M3 Pro series fixed this problem, and it also a little bit faster. If you have the money, I'd say pick up a 256GB instead, so you can have more speedy programs + quick OS boots. Other than the Plextor M3 Series, I'd also recommend the Crucial M4's, and the Samsung 830's, though these have their ups and downs as well, and sacrifice performance for reliability. Those 3 are all in the same boat for the time being, prices might drop in the future. I'd say work with your current SATA II SSD, and if it fails/doesn't give you the speeds you want, then go for one of the 3 I suggested. Though there's probably a couple more that are also good, SandForce controlled SSD's have had countless problems and have been failing in less than a year, if they aren't DOA. My recommendation to you is to pick up a basic boot drive, possibly something like a 64GB Plextor/Crucial/Samsung SSD, and then a 128GB/256GB for all of your programs, etc. If you're unsure now, you can just stick with a 128GB for right now, and then if you like it, and want more space, grab another.

You like cases with space?
        Obsidian 800D
        LIAN LI PC-P80
        Cooler Master HAF X 942
        SilverStone Temjin Series TJ11B-W
        SilverStone Temjin Series SST-TJ10B
        ENERMAX FULMO GT
        XCLIO 777COLOR
        Xigmatek Elysium Black Server Edition or Xigmatek Elysium Black
        Rosewill BLACKHAWK-ULTRA

Spent an hour on this post, my shit SSD wiped out my first one when I was almost done posting the cases, FML.
        • Like Like x 1
        • Mar 19, 2011
          He already has a nice build so why not purchase a sound card.. Anyways I was kind of speaking on my behalf, true a sound card isn't needed but it's a nice thing to have for a speaker system or better audio quality when listening through a headset. He doesn't have to purchase a high end one either, he can get a good quality one from Asus for $40.

**Edit**
          Might as well add one since he's not going to use all his pci-e slots.
        • Feb 21, 2007