Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Computer issues! :(

Discussion in Technical Support started by Chc, Jul 30, 2012

1. Jan 27, 2011
    Alright so I went out of town sunday and got back tonight. Computer was working completely fine. When I got home today I tried to turn it on and it turned on for about 3 seconds and shut off. This continued until I unplugged the power cord. I checked all the cables in the tower and all seemed good to go. I let it cool down for a while, came back and tried it again, didn't work. On the back of the PSU i switched from 115v to 230v or watts(whatever it is) and it turned on! Didn't hear any beeping or anything...looked up on my screen and noticed nothing was going on. No response whatsoever. I switched from DVI to HDMI to see if the cord went bad or something, but the issue still occurd. I for some reason think my HD crashed because it shows I have a connection to my monitor, but not bios or anything shows up. I unplugged my HD and checked cables and everything was good. I do not have another HD to check to see if that is the issue, I would think something would happen if my HD crashed...?(never had it happen before)

I really do not want to buy a new desktop, so if anyone has any ideas, let me know!

specs

Windows Xp
    CPU:
    Intel i5 750 Lynnfield Quad Core
    Memory:
    4g G.Skill
    Video Card:
    Nvidia 250 GTS
    Sound Card:
    onboard
    Headphones:
    sennheiser pc160
    Monitor:
    Harddrive:
    Samsung 23" LED SyncMaster XL2370
    Seagate 80gigabyte HD
  2. Apr 20, 2011
    I have idea throw your shity pc out of window
  3. Apr 9, 2007
    Careful... You're not in the EU, in NA we use 115v, EU and other places use 230v. There's a chance you fried your hardware doing this.

If you believe it's your HDD, take it out and power up. Take everything out and use onboard video (If available). It could be anything, just troubleshoot.
  4. Nov 11, 2011
    I second Kyle's comment. Exactly what you might have burned is only going to be revealed through troubleshooting. Remove your hard drive and video card and use your built in video card (if you have one). If you don't, remove the hard drive only and see if anything freezes. Keep the switch on your power supply to 115V. If this doesn't yield any results, open up your case and look for scorch marks or popped capacitors on your motherboard. If that's the case, you'll need to desolder the capacitors (or have them professionally done) or replace the motherboard.
  5. Mar 20, 2011
    Switching from 220v-230v to 110v-115v or vise vera will not smoke your main board or any other component inside your computer. It will and can smoke your power supply though if you are in a country which has only 220-230v system because when switched to 110v it will send the 110v across the neutral and 110v across the hot. In your case though it sounds like you just have a bad power supply. Pick one up and replace it, make sure it is set to your local power voltage before installing and then it should fire up.
  6. Jan 27, 2011
    When i switch it back to 115 it does the aame thing as turning on for a few and shutting off. I unplugged everything except for my cpu and it still did the same problem. Can the psu go bad and cause?

Edi: saw churmas post. Guess ill go get a new psu tomorrow and give that a try
  7. Mar 20, 2011
    Chc yeah, it is your power supply, I am so sure, I will buy you a beer if I am wrong... You probably have a bad capacitor in the power supply which is discharging too quickly which is why it will turn off because the capacitors will not keep a continuous flow of electrons. Go pick one out and start some zombie killing.

<<<-----------I have a degree in electrical engineering and have a few years of knowledge under my belt. =)
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Feb 14, 2012
      As others have mentioned you need to swap your PSU. IDespite how much I don't like Churma he's dead on and it doesn't take a degree to figure it out. You just have to read the numbers.
    • Nov 11, 2011
      Yeah, the fuse in your power supply should have kept your main board safe but there is always that chance. In any case, I'd grab a spare PSU and see if that resolves the issue.
    • Apr 9, 2007
      If we're blindly guessing it's his motherboard... Next would be Ram then CPU.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Jan 27, 2011
        Can we atleast assume its the cheapest part possible? Lets say the power cord is the cause(would shit my pants if it was)
      • Nov 29, 2010
      • Nov 11, 2011
        The cheapest part would produce the worst results lol. Simply disconnecting the 20/24 pin ATX power connector from the motherboard (without removing the existing P/S) with a replacement P/S's 20/24 pin ATX power connector should take less than 30 seconds.

1) Try a different power supply.
        2) Check your motherboard for burn marks or blown capacitors.
        3) Remove your RAM and test again.
        4) Listen for any beeps.

It's either your power supply, motherboard, or RAM... or even your CPU. It's hard to diagnose if you don't tell us what you've tried so far. So please update us when you do.
      • Apr 9, 2007
        Anything can be the cause. We're not beside you so we can't really assist.

Remember, if you have a bad power supply, you can take out the entire system if you replace the components without replacing the PSU. Same goes for a short on the motherboard.
      • Jan 27, 2011
        Ive unplugged everything, took out the ram and left the mobo and cpu attached and it still occured.
      • May 14, 2011

You should be getting 1 short beep to say system is fine, or a series of long/short beeps. This is a code which will tell you what is wrong. If you are not getting any beeps check the small speaker (usually connected at the bottom of the mainboard with a 4+1 pin socket with only 2 red and black wires going out) is plugged in correctly.

If you still get no beeps it means you mainboard isn't getting enough power.

To test your power supply disconnect it fully from the pc and get a multimeter. To trip the psu into switching on you need to short the green and the black wires. http://www.overclock.net/t/96712/ho...supply-psu-test-a-power-supply-and-components Thats a full guide.

Then just test the 12 volt and the 5 volt rails on the power supply. If it works then its your components. (you get both 5 and 12 volts going through the molexs, just test both of the side connections (+) with and of the two middle ones with are both (-) terminals.
      • Apr 20, 2011
        8 disagrees so many haters,,, if I did that my mum will be happy
      • May 14, 2011
        I didn't understand a word of that. People disagreed because your comment was rude and uncalled for.
        • Agree Agree x 2
        • Nov 11, 2011
          When someone asks for help, you don't tell them to fuck off. It's disrespectful.
          • Like Like x 1
          • Feb 14, 2012
            If your HDD or RAM was bad you would still get the BIOS screen. Is your system fan running?