Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Compy v.1.0

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by brownieapple, Jan 21, 2012

1. Jan 10, 2009
    Since Quietly Yell requested that i make a thread for my computer here it is. pics and updates will follow. this is basically an informal post build build log. with links and pictures. and stuff.

Case: Antec Lanboy Air Red/Black
    Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
    CPU: Intel i5 2500K -3.3GHz
    Videocard: EVGA GTX570 HD 2.6GB
    RAM: G.Skill Rpijaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
    PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200W
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM SATA3
    Keyboard: Logitech G510
    Mouse: Cyborg R.A.T. 7
    Monitor: Asus VH238H 23" w/Speakers
    CD/DVD/BR Burner: LG Black Super Multi SATA WH12LS30 LightScribe Support

Things to Buy

1x XSPC Raystom - Recieved
    1x EVGA GTX570 HD - Ordered
    2x EK GeForce 570 GTX SE Block - Acetal + Electroless Nickel Plated - Rev 1.1 - Ordered
    1x PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT 1/2" ID 3/4"OD RED - Ordered
    1x DD Monsoon D5 Premium - Ordered
    1x 655/D5 pump - Ordered
    1x Silver Kill Coil - Ordered
    1x Biocide - Ordered

** I haven't decided on what rads i want to buy. or the Fitting/Tubing size.

Finally Some Pictures
  2. Dec 6, 2011
    Well, I also just wanted to see your current stuff because you were talking about some nice fans, etc. Though, it's nice to have a 'rough sketch' plan for your PC build. Your mind will be ever-changing on this, so you want to plan early. I'm going to tear this apart in terms of editing and explain why for each :tongue:

~Antec Lanboy Air Case -
    I'm not too picky on cases, just make sure you pick one that fits you. Make sure you do your research on every aspect of cases (dust amount, cooling, upgrade ability, space, etc.). I've heard this one is nice for those gamers that like to move their computer often. It seems to be good with cooling too. If you really want a nice case with a ton of options and ability to add-on, try a full tower case, something like a HAF X 942.

~Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z -

Even if your SLI'ing in the future, your mobo is WAY OVERKILL. Unless you plan to add on some expensive ass hardware in the near future, this mobo is not needed. You may be thinking of putting 3 cards on here or something, if you are, make sure you remember that scaling for cards isn't 100%. You could get a great Asus for under $200, even if your looking for a gen3 board. I'm a basic person when it comes to motherboards, not too much of a fan for all of the bells and whistles. The ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 LGA 1155 is the gen3 board I plan on getting, not too expensive, but still up there since Asus products always are. This supports SLI/CF for when I want to add on another card in the future.

~i5 2500k CPU -
    I have no regrets about this. It's the most popular and I think it's the best one to get unless you do insane stuff with hyperthreading/file shit/whatever, but you most likely aren't. So it'd be a waste getting anything higher than this, sometimes people get the 2600k for the extra $100, but I don't think it's worth it.

~GTX 570 2.6GB -
    The extra memory is not needed at all. This would be for a 30in monitor or something that's running higher than 1920x1080 res. I'd say to just wait for the 2012 Nvidia cards, the GTX 660 will most likely be able to max out games at 1920x1080 no problem, but if you like the better FPS and not borderlining 30FPS on demanding games, grab a GTX 670 and you will max out any game with no problems. If your an AMD kind of guy (which I am atm, better value), you should aim for something in the 6870 range, or once again if you don't want to borderline 30FPS, go for the 6950. For the 7000 series, it's not exact information since it's not released yet but the 7870 should be equal to the 6950 and should run cooler/quieter/better, so the 7950 would be overkill. Although, if your like me and like to future-proof the shit out of things, go for the 7950 like I'm going to. You'll be out about $450, but it's the price to pay to get into heaven.

~Ripjaws 16GB RAM -
    I wouldn't change a thing. Nobody really needs over 8GB, even for the gamers, but why the fuck not get 16GB? only $80-$90 for it, cheap as hell. B)

~1200watt PSU -

Are you high? Do you plan on running your appliances too off of this steroid freak? Two 7970's only need a good branded 750watt'er. If you like having options grab a 850watt, but that's if your SLI'ing/CF'ing some $500 cards. For a 2012 card, the GTX 670 should be a little similar to 7950, which will only require a 750w PSU for CF, and this is if you have a ton of heavy duty hardware. Chances are you could get away with a Corsair 650w, but not always great to work right below the line. So if your getting something near the 570 and will SLI in the future, grab a 750w.

~WD HDD 1TB -
    Do you best to wait out the greed of the hard drive producers, and go with something temporary. $150 for a good 1TB HDD is ridiculous. If you want to spend the extra money, then just go ahead. Or you could take the SSD route and try to keep everything on a 180GB SSD while you wait, which wouldn't be a bad idea for some. I do a lot of hard drive cleaning and wipe out all of the stuff I don't use often, so I barely go above 100GB of space on mine.

~ Keyboard and mouse -
    Make sure you really need these, because they're a large waste of money if your not using the accessories that are included. The keyboard is an amazing luxury if you use it right. The mini-LCD on it can do a ton of things, and I think in the product review vid that Paul did, he mentioned there's additional programs you can download for it, to be even more of use. I personally like that you can monitor GPU/CPU temps. The mouse is pretty expensive, so be positive you really need all of it's little trinkets and gadgets.

~ Monitor -
    If your looking for a monitor review, I do not have one for you. I honestly believe most monitors are great, just make sure you have your desired resolution, contrast ratio, etc. I bought a no-name brand 23.6'' TV/monitor that has worked great for almost 2 years now. It's on roughly 60-80hours a week, so this is just an example that you can get any monitor to work for you. Obviously there's very poorly made ones and duds, but these should be easy to rule out.

~ Optical Drive -
    Whatever floats your boat, I have used mine probably 5 times in the lifetime of my current computer. So unless your into CD burning/movie making/stuff like that, buy the cheapest possible one, and let it do it's job collecting dust in your computer.

~ Sound card -
    I don't think there is a big difference with sound cards, but it's up to you if you want to drop $150 on a 1% difference.

~ Speakers to consider -

If you listen to music every second of your life that your not sleeping or doing something that doesn't allow it, you need good speakers. My dad bought a 2.1 Altec Lansing set for $15 in 1999, and they've been used probably almost every day since then. They work like $50 speakers that are made today. These things are 13 years old and still kicking without any sign of letting up. I'm beginning to think they're impossible to break since I listen to music extremely loud and with heavy bass when it requires it. So when these cursed speakers break from something other than wear and tear (because they literally can't), I'd recommend a beastly system like this Corsair 2.1 Set on steroids, or the 2.1 Logitech System that's generally the same, with a little lower performance and without the extras. If your not a big speaker person, grab some basic 2.1 set for around $20-$30 and you should be perfectly fine.

Remember, these are MY THOUGHTS and MY THOUGHTS ONLY. Others may have different opinions on some things, so don't hesitate to get in your two cents. I hope this helped, because I spent a shitload of time on this. Don't worry though, helping people is what I like to do, so this was time well spent. :biggrin:
  3. Jan 10, 2009
    Oh. I already own all this. I was just leaving specs b4 I post pics. :wink:
  4. Mar 13, 2010
    You're the kind of person mac computers were made for.
  5. Dec 6, 2011
    oh wtf lol, I thought that was a plan. But anyways, that's just something to reference and I hope it helps out other too. Here's my current "plan"....

Also add in another set of 2x4GB Vengeance RAM

a 7950 will be added over time, along with another for Crossfire later in the summer most likely.
  6. Jan 10, 2009
    Have one of those too.. but this isn't a how big your wallet is thread. So lets leave that out of this thread.
  7. Dec 6, 2011
    idk why I didn't ask this before, why do you have a 1200w PSU....?

AND a $350 motherboard...?

Btw, where the hell are those pictures!
  8. Jan 10, 2009

its a semi dream build. i settled with the ASUS ROG Maximus series because i couldn't afford the enthusiast series boards or the CPU's to go with them. [1000$ processor + 500$ motherboard = the total cost of my build minus the 570 because i bought that a few months later.] and the 1200W is kinda future proofing myself incase i get a motherboard that supports 4way SLI/XFIRE and a ton of fans/other crap.

next up is water-cooling as i just bought the first piece to the puzzle. the XSPC Raystorm.

also. pictures are still in the works. i have been really swamped with school and work. i'm at school right now and will be for the next 5 or 6 hours working on school work. to get far enough ahead i can hang out for a few days.

also Quietly your build looks good. i think your are going to like the Raven. i kinda wish i went with a different case but i am totally happy with the i have a neat case factor. also i like the challenge of trying to water-cool it since it isn't really made for it.
  9. Dec 6, 2011
    Well, I guess some of it makes sense, but I still think you went a little overboard. Since technology is running very fast, your PSU and mobo will be out of date in a couple of years if you try to get some GTX 800 series GPU or something.

And that is one BEAST ASS FUCKING CPU water block. What type of radiators are you going to get? I'd like to see them baddies.

Also, I chose the Raven as a nice smaller case because I want a challenge when it comes to water cooling. When the time comes, I will be putting in a 180x2 Rad on top of 2 of the 3 AP 180mm's at the bottom of the case. This should be around the time right I get my 2nd 7950 into my build, so it will be quite the task. Still trying to figure out where a 2nd 360 radiator will be going. Maybe mounted on the back.....

And Seeker, your picture isn't working. :fakenopic:
  10. Jan 10, 2009
    lol yeah and i got it for $60 slightly-not really even-used. the guy took it out of the box. stuck it up to his motherboard with no TIM and decided it didn't fit his look. so i got it for 60$ shipped where the lowest price i found it new was ~70$ shipped :grin:

not sure what rads i am going to get. i am thinking at least a 120 and 2 240's. my loop will consist of my cpu/motherboard/2gpu's. i'm planing on wc'ing the motherboard so it looks cleaner. and the possibility of running less fans :grin: so i can get some plexi made to swap out with the side panel mesh.

oh and his pic is "Now this i can cap to" lol.
  11. Dec 6, 2011
    Nice deal. I honestly only like to buy shit new. I cannot stand buying anything used in terms of computer hardware. And why a 120 and two 240's? why not a 360 and a 240 or two 360's? Your loop would probably be way too big.

Also, how are you making your money for this and how much more do you need for your complete setup?
  12. Jan 10, 2009
    space constraints if i want to use any of my drive bays i have to get a 240. so it really is the only option. plus i want everything inside the case for a cleaner look. but i plan on buying the rads last so i can buy them after i figure out the best layout.

well the money thing. haha most of it will be just saving up and buying it. but i see this build coming to an end soon. hopefully.
  13. Dec 6, 2011
    Ahh I see what you're saying about the 240's. And I don't think you've seen how sweet rad's on the outside can look. I had a giant ass forum thread on Tom's Hardware with a master Water cooler and he was showing me some crazy modded shit. I'll look for them when I can to show you what I'm talking about, so either this will be later edited or it will be in a newer post, so stay tuned for the pics.

Are you working a lot or is it just slow gross profit? I'm getting roughly $100 a week after I subtract all of my expenses so it's making me very anxious. I recently had to drop a ton of money on my car so I'm only up to $500 right now. If I can buy everything before the end of February, it would be awesome. The only shitty part is that I'll probably be running off of a 128GB SSD for a month, unless I can figure out how to get an HDD in a 2002 Dell into here so I can take this one for my build. And I'm not buying a new hard drive for two reasons: FUCKING EXPENSIVE RIGHT NOW, and I need to save up for the 7950 that's supposed to already be out right now .....
  14. Jan 10, 2009
    okay that might change my mind. any chance i could also get a link to the thread? slow gross profit really.

yeah HDD prices are stupid right now because of the natural disaster over there in asia. the same HDD that i bought a few months ago is like 250$ right now or well last time i looked.
  15. Dec 6, 2011
    Yeah I'm still looking, this thread is from a couple months ago, so I have to dig through every single noob topic... "HOW I DO THISS?!?!?!?!".

Also, Production is actually already built back up mostly. Their just milking the fuck out of this, because everybody needs a hard drive. I just can't wait to see the look on these companies' faces when Intel/Corsair/OCZ or somebody figures out a cheap way to made large space SSD's, then I'll laugh in their greedy ass faces :grin:
  16. Jan 10, 2009
    okay here are some quick and slightly blurry pictures to tide you over. though i am about to buy a new desk soon-ish.[yes i know it is a dining room table.] but we don't eat at it anyway :grin:
    also note that if you put an E-ATX board in this case you can really only route the cables down at the bottom of the motherboard and not the side like most. everywhere i looked said this was an ATX board. go figure. so don't mind my cables this is what i got after about an hour and half when i fist put it together. ill try again when i pull everything out to put it under water.

the setup:

the fans:
  17. Dec 6, 2011

So when should I expect you to be adding onto this nice machine? (never realized your case looked that nice and well-designed on the inside). Funny, my gaming desk is where I eat everything at >.<

Also, how the FUCK are these blurry? These are amazing compared to my blackberry's shit camera.

No worries, my setup is going to be some half-ass setup on my crappy (but elegant looking) glass desk.
  18. Jan 10, 2009
    hmm i think you will see me adding on to it soon. i will keep this thread updated for when i do make any additions or changes.

meh i need new glasses so i think my focusing is off.

i can't wait for yours. its gonna look great.

and yeah well i eat there and always have ever since we moved in. no one else ever used it so i just took it over.

I edited OP with some things.
  19. Dec 6, 2011
    For tubing and fittings, your going to want 1/2 ID and 3/4 OD, it's usually the most popular. And please tell me your at least getting the MCP655 pump?

Also, if you want to be badass, get a reservoir like one of these =P:

Like you will see in my upcoming godly Raven build:

Edit: here's the radiator pictures I found in one of my old forum topics from TH.

My personal favorite done by a master:

And here's my friend cramming all his shit inside of his HAF X >.<