Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Tutorial Configuring Source Sdk

Discussion in Resources & Tutorials started by terrora, Jan 2, 2010

1. Dec 14, 2009
    Hey guys in this tutorial I will show you how to configure and install source sdk so that everything works properly. I will do this in a number of steps. If you do not understand feel free to ask, tell me what you think of the tutorial is it clear? etc.. hope it helps! Hope this helps. All tutorials I upload here are written by me.

If videos work better for you here is a great video from youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvoBTP1gAlA

NOTE: Screenshots will be added soon.

Part 1: INSTALLATION

Step one:
    A/ Ok so the first thing you want to do is to go into your steam menu,
    B/ Then go into the tools tab,
    C/ Then right click on
    Source Sdk, not Source Sdk base (I am not sure what base does, I believe it allows you to play mods.)
    D/ Click on install
    E/ Ok so
    Sdk should take around 30 minutes to install...

Step two:
    F/ Ok so once it has been installed, go back into the tool tab and right click on Source Sdk again, then go into properties-->set launch options and in the set launch options copy and paste this in -engine ep1 without changing it at all, or the program might not work... Hit OK

Part 2: CONFIGURING HAMMER

Step one:
    A/
    Relaunch Source Sdk if you havn't already after editing the launch options, ok so you should have a menu like so:frown:screen shot to come)
    As you can see you have the different applications/ tools, and at the bottom you have Current game ok so with this select Counter-Strike: Source, (if thats what your using it for) if it doesn't show css make sure the game engine is set on half life episode 1 or hl episode 1.

B/
    Now double click on the Hammer Editor tool under applications (at the top) ok two things can happen here, if a pop up appears asking to configure hammer skip to step: D If a pop up doesn't appear then do all the steps.

C/
    If the pop up didn't appear asking you to configure Hammer, then the Hammer Editor program would have loaded, at the top left hand corner of the program menu, you should see a tool tab, click on it and one of its sub directories is options click on options. (skip D)

D/
    Ok so if you got the pop up when you tried to launch Hammer, click yes to begin configuring it.

E/
    Ok so now you should have a menu with Configure Hammer written at the top and this menu has 6 tabs, the first tab is called: "Game Configurations"
    Under the first selection box called "Configuration" select your game, or if there aren't any in the list enter it manually here are some of the games exact names:

Counter-Strike: Source
    Day of Defeat: Source
    Garry's Mod
    Half-Life 2
    Half-Life 2: Deathmatch
    Half-Life 2: Episode one

As we are configuring for Counter strike source, enter Counter-Strike: Source or select it.

F/
    Under the next option "Game Data files:" click add and it should open up a open menu, ok so you want to go into the steam files, steam/steamapps/'username'/sourcesdk/bin then you should see a cstrike file, make sure it is a FGD file, then double click on it.

G/
    Ok now you can skip, to the Game Executable Directory, then click on browse, and go into your steam files, under your username, and click on counter-strike: source just select it DO NOT GO into its files, just select it and click ok.
    steam/steamapps/'username'/

H/
    For the next Directory, (Game Directory) go to the same place, except go into the counter-strike source files and this time select the cstrike and hit ok.
    steam/steamapps/'username'/counter-strike source/

I/
    For the Hammer VMF Directory, go into steam/steamapps/'username'/sourcesdk_content/cstrike and then select the mapsrc file and hit ok.

Step two:

A/
    Go into the Build Porgrams tab (at the top of the menu)

B/
    In the first selection, 'Configuration' Select or retype, Counter-Strike Source.

C/
    For the Game executable, go to this directory underneath and select the little hl2.exe icon...
    steam/steamapps/'username'/counter-strike source/

D/
    For the Bsp executable, in the directory underneath, select the vbsp.exe file and hit open
    steam/steamapps/'username'/sourcesdk/bin/ep1/bin

E/
    For the Vis executable, in the directory underneath, select the vvis.exe file and hit open

F/
    For the Rad executable, in the directory underneath, select the vrad.exe file and hit open

G/
    For the 'Place compiled maps...' in the directory underneath select the maps folder and hit open
    steam/steamapps/'username'/counter-strike source/cstrike

H/
    Hit ok on the main menu

I/
    Reload Source Sdk (shut it down and restart it)

Then you should be done!
    Happy mapping
    Hope this helped
    Alex