Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Considering an upgrade

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Seeker, Mar 8, 2015

1. Jan 21, 2011
    I'm considering building a new PC to replace my faithful Gateway. I don't have any issues with my current PC. It actually runs fantastic and I have no complaints, but my tax return has me contemplating an upgrade.
    My current specs:
    The GFX card is a 7950

I have a 3 monitor setup currently with 2 1080p screens and a 1440x900 screen. I may upgrade to a 1440p screen and not use the 1440x900 screen anymore, so I'd like to have a graphics card that can handle that. The two builds I'm looking at:

Quad core DDR3-

6 core DDR4-

I'm just wondering if the difference between DDR3 and DDR4 is that big of a jump. I don't want an i5 either; I like my i7. The price differential is also irrelevant to me so long as this computer will last me as long as my current one has (almost 5 years). I'm also considering waiting for the Intel Skylake CPUs to be realeased. Thoughts?
  2. Dec 30, 2006
    Personal opinion, I would only upgrade when I see a need to. There's no reason to upgrade now when you're current set up is satisfying your needs. Every year tech advances and you'll never stay ahead. If you can delay the purchase, you can purchase something better/more efficient later. If you decide on sticking with the parts you stick with now, the prices will drop and you'll benefit there too.

I don't think there's a major difference between DDR3/DDR4 other than the timings and DDR4 is slight less power hungry.
  3. Oct 11, 2012
  4. Jan 21, 2011
    I don't want to deal with SLI. Too many issues currently.
  5. Jun 11, 2012
    Yeah no matter how many SLI gets recommended, it's always a second thought to developers which leaves thing not able to launch unless you disable it or take da card out.
  6. Jan 21, 2011
    DirectX 12 sounds like it will add some neat things for SLI and crossfire set ups, but the devs have to actually use it.

I may just get a 1440p monitor, but I'm not sure how my 7950 will handle it.
  7. Jan 21, 2011
    Thinking about just getting this monitor and a GTX980 to throw in my current PC...
  8. Jan 5, 2014
    That's the monitor I'm using right now. No bells and whistles (e.g. only 60hz, no G-Sync), but the colors are really nice and overall it's a solid monitor. I might be a little biased because this was my first monitor after using a shitty laptop for so long, but I really, really like it.

As far as I know, you likely won't see much performance difference between DDR3 and DDR4. Especially if you're just gaming. Unless you do a lot of work that requires multiple threads, stick with the i7-4690k. Chances are, you're better off investing that cash somewhere else. Maybe get a nice mechanical keyboard or save up for a really nice, ergonomic chair.

Agree with your decision to stick with a single GPU. A single powerful card is almost always better than a comparable SLI setup. I'm assuming you're gonna play games only on one 1440p monitor. A single 980 will run that thing perfectly.

All in all, I think you're better off just getting a new GPU and monitor and calling it a day. Maybe throw in an SSD or HDD if you need one. If your computer is already running great, then you probably won't take advantage of the processing power anyway. Maybe invest in some cool peripherals. As someone who types for a living, getting a mechanical keyboard was a life-changer for me. Maybe invest in an ergonomic chair to help out your back/hips/etc. Maybe go for a cool sound system or even a standing desk.
    • Informative Informative x 1
      Beggar So, Mar 9, 2015 Last edited by Beggar So, Mar 9, 2015
    • Jan 21, 2011
      I'm curious how much performance gain I'd get out of just the RAM frequency change from my current 533MHz...

I've already got a mechanical keyboard, ssd, and comfy chair lol.

I played around with eyfinity for a bit with 3 1080p screens and enjoyed it, but it doesn't work well for all the games that I play. (The CSS hud spreads out to the side monitors making it challenging to keep track of chat, see who is using mic, and play since they're all essentially on different screens lol)

I'll see how my current set up runs the new monitor and decide what to do from there.

I think in a few years once DirectX 12 is widely adopted and devs make use of the split-frame rendering stuff, I'll consider SLI. Currently the alternating frame drawing while using only one cards VRAM is kind of a turn off for me on it.