Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Consolidated

Discussion in News started by Kyle, Feb 6, 2015

1. Apr 9, 2007

Earlier in the year we piloted out OVH for a little bit, to see if the performance metrics matched up against the current gear from LSN. The network was far superior in terms of PoP's in Europe compared to LSN. LimeStone Networks believe it or not experiences complete network outages daily, causing their Data-Center to drop off the face of the earth. Unfortunately though, the issue is since they're much smaller LSN can offer new gear much more easily. The Haswell upgrade caused us not to move as the @Luffaren Lag-o-vator would have returned, the best OVH had was Ivy Bridge. So there we sat, on Limestone Networks.

Towards the end of the summer, we had banned a kid who seemed to have a little bit of money. They bought 'booter' services or whatever they're being called now, and essentially caused the week long outage on individual servers. The attack seemed mostly targeted against Zombie Escape. However the attack varied between ZE, ZombieMod, MiniGames, Mumble, and ZombieLila.

We argued a bit back and forth, but we had the foresight to see it coming... At the time I was moving from place to place every couple days, didn't have the typical HSIA and I think I was on another persons WiFi. Brian bought the new server for a week, then we waited the night for OVH to set it up. I believe in the morning I sprinted a little and got the basics running, then started porting things over. I realized something had broken with the way we were assigning SteamIDs to Game Servers, which caused an implementation hiccup with the move. We proceeded onwards anyways, because the attack was relentless and being down for even a day is unacceptable. The a-records were cut over, and we made a couple events. People started joining, everything was great.

Then the clown targeting ZM on LSN started attacking us on OVH. Brian received an email, then we looked at the firewall and laughed. The server wasn't impacted at all, everything was being blocked. A few other attacks were tried, one worked (issue is with the Linux Kernel unfortunately), the rest did not. When the attacks subsided, we cut the servers back over to LSN and fixed the accountid issue. We also created accountids for servers that didn't have them before so they would remain in peoples favourites across IP moves (in theory, practice has it working about 50% of the time).

We had an issue though, we only had that server for a week. We could have renewed, but we switched and I redid the whole server yet again (at-least I'm faster now :smile:). I don't remember how we did it, but I had HSIA for most of it. I believe I used the Terminal Emulator on my Galaxy Nexus for the portions that were missed.

We cut the servers back over, and consolidated both Haswell1 and Haswell2 back onto the new server we had ordered, like the legacy setup we had, except this isn't a dual socket server with 12cores w/ HT. Everything seemed to go well, except some maps were busted from a seemingly incomplete rsync. Brian fixed all the symlinks (did the backup solution, you know, everything I don't credit him for), Retslag and SecP fixed maps as they were found to be busted.

Since then we've been with OVH in Beauharnois, Quebec, Canada.

We also hit a pretty sad milestone. Since we've been with LSN, August 15th, 2009, we had a network range that followed ZombieMod everywhere: 216.245.195.0/29. Specifically, 216.245.195.2, which was the only address I had remembered all these years. The address was our independence from HellsGamers, from Quantum-Servers, from everything that tied us to not being us. We cancelled our LSN boxes, and subsequently lost that address. RIP :weep:

I'd like to thank everyone sincerely for their help, including the player-base who continue to drive the player count despite things remaining mostly static. I have a new job now, which is either way more or less travel (so far, way more :razz:).

Thanks all.

via https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-Dy0iqB7f8

Attached Files:

• Like x 7
    • Informative x 3
    • Friendly x 3
    • Winner x 1
    • Wizard! x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Feb 8, 2013
      Nice song. That's about all I read. You should listen to Cassie.
    • May 31, 2012
      Congratulations on the new job, and interesting story. Farewell to the old address.
    • Aug 7, 2012
      Thanks for the detailed update :smile: Good luck with the job!
    • Dec 17, 2007
      I'm at least glad that we have the servers up and running again, even though the attacks were the straw that broke the camels back w/ZE.
    • Oct 24, 2013
      Thanks for bumping this Tangerine. Thanks for the update Kyle.
    • Jul 7, 2014
      Interesting story, makes me wonder why people go through the hassle of attacking servers. Nothing better to do I guess. Good luck with the travel issue. Thanks for hosting such great servers. Props to everyone.
    • Feb 25, 2014

Good luck on ur new job kyle thanks for the good read.
    • Apr 18, 2014