Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Cooking (perfect steak)

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Grape, Dec 22, 2014

1. Oct 24, 2013
    Today I cooked myself the perfect steak without having a grill, using the oven, or even a skillet. Here's how I just learned to do it. :nerd:

All you need to do is get yourself
    -A steak, the better quality meat obviously would be advantageous...
    -butter (1/2 to 1 stick)
    -diced fresh garlic
    -salt
    -pepper or lemon pepper (I used lemon pepper)
    -frying pan
    -stove top
    -olive oil or regular cooking oil
    -something to flip the steak with
    -a lid to put over the steak, preferably one that is from a pot that fits perfectly over the steak giving it a slight weight to press it down

Steps

Melt a half stick of butter, then add a pinch of salt, a little pepper and diced garlic

Put your steak in a glass cooking pan, like a 8x8inch pyrex.

Stir your butter mixture and pour it on both sides of the steak, make sure to cover each side well

let the steak preferably sit in the fridge with this layer of goodness over night, but at least till the butter hardens back up

take out your steak from the fridge and let it sit out for at least 30-45 minutes before cooking
    this prevents you accidentally cooking the whole thing through and drying it out

Oil up a frying pan liberally so that it is well oiled all over

Set the pan on the stove and set the stove to high

When the oil in the pan starts to smoke/fume that is the time to put the steak in

With your steak in the pan (BE CAREFUL IT WILL POP AND SIZZLE) cover the frying pan with a pot lid like in the picture below. Before covering you should add some of the butter that is melted off the sides in the pyrex bowl to the top of the steak to give it some extra moisture to work with.

[IMG]

Cook the steak on one side for 3-5 minutes for "rare to medium rare"

Flip the steak and cook for the same time on the other side. You should notice it has blackened a bit and part of it looks almost burned but, it's just the butter and it will have cooked on the "flavor".

Cut into the steak carefully while it is cooking, using a steak knife to see if it needs more time to get to how you like it to be cooked. If it's still moo'ing and you want it to be cooked a bit more just remember when you've flipped the steak to take that excess butter that is still solid from your pyrex bowl and add it on top of the steak.

If you've done it correctly you will have some char on both sides and even on the outer "rim" of the steak, while still seeing some red juices come out when you cut into it on the stove

One you've reached the desired inner tenderness you can remove it, just don't drop it back in or it will splash hot oil everywhere!

Here is what you should have. :laugh:

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 4
    • Wizard! x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Mapping King x 1
    • Useful x 1
      Grape, Dec 22, 2014 Last edited by Grape, Dec 22, 2014
    • Dec 7, 2012
      Mhmmmm...... I think I'm gonna try it with a :tiger: cat. I'll post mine up as soon as I catch one! ...cheers:beer::tiger::beer:
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Oct 24, 2013
        Also if you don't want to cut the steak and feel brave enough to try this method of testing whether your steak is cooked to a certain tenderness you can use this
        no pun intended "Rule of Thumb". :kiss:

Touch the steak with your palm of your hand, take the thumb from your other hand and place it on the meaty muscle part of your hand touching the steak and compare whether it's about as soft.
        If you want it to be a little more cooked through, touch your thumb to your pointer finger, you can do this all the way till you get to your pinky for well cooked.
        It's a weird trick but if you follow the order of your thumb to your pinky finger you can actually gauge whether it's cooked rare or well done.
      • Feb 1, 2011
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Oct 24, 2013
          I think I actually even like this method better than using a real grill because you don't lose any of the juices through the bars of the grill.
          The butter just burns onto the outside of the steak with the garlic and other seasonings, sealing in the good juices so it doesn't dry out.
          I've tried searing steaks at 500' F on a grill then lowering the heat to finish it and they've never come out as good.
          I really think the fact you're not losing the butter down into the fire makes a huge world of difference.
        • May 31, 2012
          I personally like to cook mine using Garlic Butter and Soy Sauce, but I'm open to other variations of cooking it... it's a steak :smile:
          • Like Like x 1
          • Dec 7, 2012
            Try bone ribeye on a skillet w. just olive oil, garlic, sea salt and black ground pepper. A1 or Worcester sauce on standby and can't forget the choice of beer.:beer:
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Oct 24, 2013
              Noooooooooooo you can't put that blasphemy on the a good steak! The butter will caramelize the garlic onto the steaks surface and make a nice crispy surface and seer your steak easier.
            • Jun 20, 2013
              Rock salt on one side black pepper on the other. Bam perfect seasoning. Also what sort of pleb eats a well done steak.
            • Oct 24, 2013
              That isn't well done beyond being cooked verly well. You don't see the perfect pink center? It's seered to protect the inner juices.
            • Jan 5, 2014
              Looks really delicious, will try it for sure!
              Thanks for sharing!
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Oct 24, 2013
              • Jan 2, 2012
              • Oct 24, 2013
                Fyi be careful using too much oil and if it matters I used a fairly fat free london broil cut.
              • Oct 24, 2013
                I cooked another one over the weekened I'm pretty proud of.

Attached Files:

• Wizard! Wizard! x 1