Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Coronavirus

Discussion in In The News started by dillinger, Mar 20, 2020

1. Feb 1, 2011
    Let's talk! How's everyone doing? What are things like in your area?

I am good here in Richmond VA. My folks are further north and I am more concerned about them. The grocery store has no TP or paper towels but all else is ok! Home from work. Gaming alot and puffing the magic :dragon: to pass the time. Been keeping an eye on numbers and the economy but not worrying because I have faith the world will rally together.

Much love to all pF family hope you and all your friends and fam are good and safe :heart:
    • Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dec 17, 2007
      I'm doing good, drinking as usual lol. Not too concerned about the corona virus, mainly bc it won't really affect me personally. Am concerned about my parents though. But I do think all this is over exaggerated and the government could have handled it a lot better. Hope everyone else is doing good!
    • Dec 30, 2006
      Shit's getting real in CA. But I'm considered essential for work in my field so we're staying open. F to pay respects.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Dec 17, 2007
        I heard you all's governor is going to force everyone to stay inside, and if they don't they'll get charged with a crime. Is that true?, bc what he's doing seems unconstitutional
      • Dec 30, 2006
        Nah. It just stay at home if you can. They're not locking us down like China. We can still get food and groceries and stuff.
      • Mar 15, 2020
        You must be a mechanic. You should demand a raise. Since you are so essential. You are putting your life on the line for your company, it's only right that you are appropriately compensated!
        EDIT: also can someone unban my BROvalone account it's been years! i would like to be able to play again!
        Doobs, Mar 21, 2020 Last edited by Doobs, Mar 21, 2020
      • Dec 17, 2007
        I would do a post in the contact senior admin thread. Bc this isn't the place to discuss it.
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Mar 15, 2020
        • Oct 29, 2010
        • Oct 8, 2009
          In Wisconsin. I'm a childcare teacher and we are considered essential business so we are open to help those who need it, we highly suggest everyone to keep their kids home if possible. So with that said, some people are not happy that they have to still pay tuition when their child is at home, and some people can't afford it anymore because they are out of work. That means, no money to pay us teachers. So, I'm finding another job to replace the missing income because we have to work in 5.5 hour shifts and rotate. Especially because our governor limited childcare staff to no more than 10 people in a center, there are 50 of us! And now he's ordered a "stay at home" starting tomorrow for all non-essential personals. On another note, my rent has gone up and now I'm looking to move at the end of June.

But hey, gives me time to get back on and play again.
        • Dec 17, 2007
          We're seriously going into an economic crisis when this is over. Smdh, govt should've done a better job at controlling this.
        • Feb 13, 2014
          Your government is about to open shop back up. Rip.
          • Zing! Zing! x 1
          • Dec 15, 2016
          • Dec 17, 2007
            Lol yea to China, bc that's who we're gonna have to surrender to. They're not opening anything up yet.
          • May 31, 2012

I can't tell if it's bad in California. I think it is, but I haven't gone out that often. My company sent us away to work from home when there were only a handful of cases. They have offices in countries like China and so I think they knew it was pretty bad. We tried following the guidelines- just do our best. We picked up the groceries and saw it was hit hard buy panic buyers. I didn't understand it. Some of the things they bought were frustrating like no more pasta on the shelf and... cheese... it goes bad. Why did they buy it all? I suppose you could freeze it... They do all this panic buying them we're figuring since we're already out we might as well pick up our food and take it to go. Holy crap the line was long (prior to take out only) and people were really right up on each other. Some people still don't follow social distancing when we went to grocery store again still right up on us and the lady behind us saw a friend and started spitting on us... excuse me... I mean yelling to her friend to get her attention. Idiot.

School's were poorly handled here, and it's one of the areas that were hit hard. I was just accepted into a graduate program so I get all of the e-mails now. Reading the e-mails early into it was worthy of face palms- more idiots. I'm going to get my degree with these ding dongs signing my paperwork? I have to keep reminding myself I'm just doing it to get it on paper.

[IMG]
          • Dec 17, 2007
            What I really want to know, is if the government knew about this last year, why wasn't anything done about it then?
          • May 31, 2012
            I would guess it's very likely- I'm allowed to speculate since I don't know the true answer.

I can only speak about my experience during an internship back in late 2014, but I could overhear a lot of things that became big on the news much later like a year after. A lot of things are sensitive even if it's not classified so I don't know what I could say about it even now, but I know that things like this are usually not surprising for people working with the government.
          • Oct 10, 2009
            Things in the PH are getting pretty crazy. The entirety of our island in Luzon has been on lock down for around 2 weeks now up until a month. It's not that we're entirely restricted from going out of our homes, but there are checkpoints in every city border to control the amount of people that are exposed outside. Social distancing is heavy. Streets and the outdoors feel like ghost towns. Everyone needs a quarantine pass too if, for example, you want to go about buying groceries even a block away from your own home. Even then the government is trying to enforce protocol of just one representative per household heading out.

Our congress granted our president emergency powers already, unfortunately. Prior to trying to win approval of taking over private sectors and utilities, which thankfully was not approved among other unapproved emergency powers(lest we have another bout of martial law here), he has control over the narrower sections of our hospitals and public transportation in the country. Even threatened to put water under government control.

Honestly don't know what to be wary of more; the epidemic or the state of our government that virtually just handed us over to China over the past years.

oh but hey at least animal crossing's been keeping me busy

Just got a bit nostalgic and ended up on the forum again since I haven't been here in ages.
            • Friendly Friendly x 2
            • Oct 8, 2009
              Update for Wisconsin...it is not down to “if you leave home, assume you were exposed to COVID-19”. I’m still leaving home and working because sadly I need the income and I have to. So I am exposing myself and keeping a careful watch in my health. Not sure what will happen when when they finally shut everything down. Might be able to put a hold on paying rent, but what happens when we come out the other end? Will all those unpaid rent rack up or be forgiven? Even during this pandemic, life continues. Sucks. But what really sucks, is I know other people who have it worst than me. :frown:
            • May 31, 2012
              There's a phrase I say all the time, that being cheap is inherently expensive. I understand there are practicalities and it's hard.

By the way I am hearing that Amazon is willing to hire people to work from home even if they know it's part-time or temporary. I haven't looked into it myself, but I'm curious what others have heard of it or if they're even trying it?