Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Corrupt Steam/Error

Discussion in Technical Support started by Kosuki, Sep 26, 2012

1. Apr 14, 2011
    Every time since the beginning of the week when ever I want to play any game on steam. It will do 3 things
    1. Scan all games (including games I dont have installed) for updates that takes for ever...
    2. Verify game cache
    3. Crashes randomly

I am so done with steam I am about to write them a hateful email and uninstall.
    I have no idea what to do but this is stupid...

Any ideas?

P.S. I want to save Thermiting my PC as a last resort :sarcastic:

P.S.

If I uninstall I loose it all. I dont remember any passwords or emails it was registered with so in reality I would loose it all if I uninstall...
  2. May 31, 2012
    Try to reinstall steam. If you lose any of your games you can just reinstall those. But that doesn't happen i believe.
  3. Momo
    This message by Momo has been removed from public view. Deleted by Momo, Sep 26, 2012, Reason: owned.
    Sep 26, 2012
  4. Aug 18, 2006
    Delete ClientRegistry.blob and AppUpdateStatus.blob in the Steam folder as well.
  5. Dec 30, 2011
    Uninstalling steam would only remove the program, not your account/games, your account would still be up and running, and your games would still be on your account
  6. Apr 14, 2011
  7. Jan 27, 2011
    Did u install new virus program or anything this week
  8. Apr 14, 2011
    Nope just woke up monday morning and (POOF) steam hates me ^^
  9. May 14, 2011

• Go to steam folder
    • Delete EVERYTHING apart from "steamapps" and "steam.exe"
    • Empty your recycle bin
    • Run "steam.exe"
    Should be fixed.

nb. You will not have to re-download anything for this, don't worry.
  10. Apr 14, 2011
  11. Feb 21, 2007
    Also, does this happen with JUST steam games, or with every game? Might consider video drivers updating if it is with every game
  12. Feb 27, 2012
    Update ALL your drivers. It won't necessarily be your video card drivers. Also, NEVER download drivers through the Windows Updates shit. It ALWAYS messes something up. Also, try to avoid using windows generic drivers (like if you never installed drivers for something, but it still functions), they tend not to work as they were meant to.
  13. Aug 18, 2006
    Interesting. The Microsoft Update drivers should work better if anything since they go through more rigorous quality assurance testing. What kind of hardware did you experience issues with?
  14. Apr 9, 2012
    Many, many, many people myself included have begun to get these kind of errors since the last updates from Steam. I have no clue why they are downgrading their products that much. However I managed to fix it
  15. Nov 11, 2011
    I used to have that issue too, turned out 3/4 of my 16GB mem stucks were bad after a Memtest86. Never got that problem since I removed them. I already spoke to Valve about this and they weren't the least bit helpful but I'll post the thread later on in the day.
  16. May 14, 2011
  17. Apr 14, 2011
    I tried the "Erase all files but steam.exe and steamapps" Yeah did not work steam would not reinstall at all. I had to restore back 1 week. It works now, but I have no idea WTF happened.

THX for all the ideas guys ^^
  18. May 14, 2011

Source for my method: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

No idea why it didn't work.
  19. Feb 27, 2012
    Omg, microsoft never has made a proper driver for me. Ever since i had my ATI Radeon x1300, it was never good. With that card, it refused to go past 2-bit colour. Yes, 2-bit .-. Then with my 4670, it would just put green and purple rotating squares on my screen, freeze the computer, restart the driver, work for 10-30minutes, and go through that again. With one of my sound cards the audio refused to work. My dad tried it on his 5750 and it wouldn't show past 1024x768 resolution. For a laptop i was working on it wouldn't show widescreen resolutions and audio wouldn't work. Microsoft by far aquires thee worst drivers ever. It is ALWAYS better to get them from the maker of your hardware. The microsoft ones are just meant to get your hardware in a working state, but not at their best performance. I mean, sure a Microsoft driver COULD run better than the Manufacturer one, but that's very rare.