Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Could my pc run CSS maxed out?

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Orgasmic, Apr 24, 2012

1. Apr 23, 2012
    I would like to know if my new Alienware x51 could run counter strike source maxed out here are my specs Intel core i3 2120 3.3GHz Processor 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GT 545 video card
  2. Feb 18, 2011
    I hope this isn't serious.... These specs are really poor compared to the ones out now. A dual core is alright at 3.3 ghz. But you have a gig inside a 545 which is outdated to say the least. Sorry, I don't think you will even be able to max it.
    Anathema, Apr 24, 2012 Last edited by Anathema, Apr 24, 2012
  3. Dec 6, 2011
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

What resolution are you running? Can't help unless we know. You could be rolling with 720p or 1080p. Makes a huge difference.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Oct 17, 2011
      Not funny anymore. Posted 2 times already o.0
    • Feb 18, 2011
      • Zing! Zing! x 1
      • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
      • Dec 6, 2011
        I had the same reaction. There was no reason to change it.
        • Winner Winner x 1
        • Feb 18, 2011
          Laptops also get a -1 because of their limits when they try compensating for size. When you have a mobile card you got to remember that all they do is put some thermal compound on it to cool it, as opposed to a GT545 that exists within a desktop which has it's own fan, which you could even change to have water cooling.

Edit: mini tower, whoops. Still, I don't think you can run full.
          Anathema, Apr 24, 2012 Last edited by Anathema, Apr 24, 2012
        • Aug 18, 2006
          It should be fine... I'm not exactly sure how well the GTX 545M performs as there isn't a GTX 545 Desktop graphics card... But the general rule of thumb is that mobile GPU's are about half as fast as their desktop counterpart.

As far as it running CS:S maxxed out, I really don't see why it shouldn't be able to.
        • Dec 6, 2011
          Some clarification Ray, Anathemer was incorrect about it being a mobile card. The X51 is a mini-tower system from Alienware that's pre-built into a tiny compact case, with difficult upgrading as well.
        • Nov 29, 2010
          Counter strike source is a 8 year old game. Even for its time it was a very accessible game for a lot of computers.
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Apr 23, 2012
            I guess I will run it on 1080p resolution
          • Aug 18, 2006
            1080p resolution shouldn't be an issue at all.
          • Apr 23, 2012
            I think it would be cheaper to make my own gaming desktop at Walmart I good all the good up to date specs for cheap
            • Winner Winner x 1
            • Feb 9, 2012
              well u said it's ur new comp..meaning u already have it right..? why don't u just run it and find out yourself?
            • Apr 23, 2012
              Well I'm planning o n buy a new gaming desktop I just want to know if it can just runs this game maxed out with high fps and I don't want to make the wrong choice and pick the crappy pc u know what I'm saying?
            • Apr 23, 2012
            • Mar 6, 2012
              The Alienware x51 is built to be a gaming system.
              It should run a game so old pretty well.
              If you are looking to build a gaming a system for cheaper, I would use newegg.
              The money you would spend on that Alienware would create you a seriously beefing desktop.
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Feb 11, 2012
                Well i ran test on my laptop gtx570m with i5 2430m on full 64slot pf zombiemod server map was zm_dust_arena_v1_final.. fps went low as 40-50 everything maxed except detail and reflections i think.
                EDIT: Resolution was 1920x1080
              • Dec 6, 2011

2. I'm having trouble understanding why you'd buy such a compact desktop, especially from Alienware. You could get a lot more performance for almost the same budget for the X51 if you built your own full size desktop. Learning to build a computer is extremely simple and will save you hundreds of bucks.

Here's a link to my thread a made a little while ago about PC's and building them. http://plaguefest.com/threads/building-or-just-want-to-know-about-a-pc-click-here.10090/
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Informative Informative x 1
                • Useful Useful x 1
                • Feb 18, 2011
                  Check out other threads for computers in addition to Quietly's. brownieapple has one, I have one, and hell, even make your own and get advice as you go along.