Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Couldn't CRC map, disconnecting

Discussion in Help Desk started by Kyron The Wise, Sep 6, 2011

1. Apr 29, 2011
    This is why I haven't been playing much recently, I can't download the damn maps! As I'm on a new computer, a Mac no less, I knew I was going to have to download all of the maps again. However, some of the maps just refuse to download properly, giving me an error message that looks like this:

"Couldn't CRC map (map name), disconnecting."

I've poked around the inter webs a bit, trying to find a solution to this, and all it says is to delete the map, try reconnecting to the server, and if that fails, download the map elsewhere and place it in your map folder manually. Well, some of the maps on Pf have been edited a bit from their original format, and are thus unavailable for downloading anywhere else (Im referring to the maps with Pf or plaguefest at the end of the map name, signifying we've edited it from original.).

So I need one of two things. Either A.) I need a place where I can go and download all of Plaguefests maps, including the edited variants, or B.) I need to annihilate my Mac, find a Windows, and hope it doesn't happen to it. (Apparently this problem has also happened to some windows users.)

Tho if there is someone who can solve this problem for me, that would also be appreciated. :grin:
  2. Jun 30, 2011
    First of all, Why the hell would you get an ugly mac ewwww

And i would suggest only downloading huge maps that plaguefest frequents, like minas or mako, i know that predator is on gamebanana but thats about it :/
  3. Aug 18, 2006
    Yeah, why a mac? :wallbash:

Which server does this happen on?
  4. Jun 4, 2006
    According to our other Mac guy, Dill says maps above ~40mb or so fail to DL. Anything below that should work. I can PM you direct links to the maps you need if you gimme the names.
  5. Apr 29, 2011
    First of all, getting a mac wasn't my decision, it was forced on me by my parents.
    Second, If I only download those maps, what about the other 60% of the time when we are playing other maps?
  6. Apr 29, 2011
    On ZE and on MG.

And Brian, Ill get back to you on that once I have found out which ones work and which ones don't. So far, I know that showdown and pitch-black don't work, but Im unsure about everything else.
  7. Aug 18, 2006
    I'm glad you said it's happening on ZE as well. This rules out The new FastDL Server as the issue.

But yes, the issue does look to be Mac specific. I am not sure if there is a fix for it. There is a server-side filesize limit for non-FastDL servers, I wonder if the client has something equivalent to it?
  8. Jun 4, 2006
    I'd almost wanna hit up the Steam forums and see what other mac players are saying. Maybe there is a fix. At any rate, Ray's going to finish setting up the FastDL onto the rest of the servers and then look into getting some map packs uploaded for admins. We'll most likely just post the zip's in the admin section for now, and perhaps go public with them once we're on the new site. Might even have the packs automatically update too so they're always current if we come up with a solid way of doing this. You may see the packs today, but no guarantees (heck you may never see 'em).
  9. Apr 29, 2011
    Oh, I DID check the steam forums and a lot of good that did me. There was several pages of people complaining and whining for Valve to fix it. No 100% accurate solutions there as the few fixes I could find within the complaint swamp did not work for all of the maps the people were having issues with.

That map pack would be lovely tho. My only problem is that its in the admin section. My decision on whether or not to extend my admin hinges on me being able to fix this problem, and my current package runs out on the 16th. Not to put a bit of a rush on you or anything but....PLEASE GIVE ME THOSE MAPS!

EDIT: I just connected to the ZE and was able to download and get into ZE Dust Escape. So FastDL definitely has no issues with my Mac.
    Edited EDIT: I'll try to see if I can play Mako or something of similar size later. Mayhaps the FastDL will help me resolve this problem.
  10. Jun 4, 2006
    dust escape is a 500kb map so yeah that working makes sense, if that didn't work then I'd be real worried. We're looking into the map packs... just gotta figure out a good way to read a server's map cycle file and then have it archive just those maps from the /maps dir, rather than us looking at a map cycle list and going into /maps and picking out the ones one by one, copying them to a folder, archiving the folder, and transferring the archive to a host for downloading... it just takes way longer, and also wouldn't get us any closer to automatic map pack updates, in fact we'd be taking a step back. So, sit tight while we see if this is even possible with bash...
  11. Feb 1, 2011
    It doesn't have anything to do with how fast the DL servers are, its all about file size. Maps that are over ~35mb will fail to download on a Mac and give you that error. I've read extensively about it on the Valve forums and they have yet to fix it, nor do I know any workarounds which will make them download ingame.

You're just gonna have to get used to visiting GameBanana a lot, like I had to. For maps that are pF exclusive or not available on GameBanana, find a friend who already has the map downloaded and ask them to upload it a file sharing site for you.
  12. Sep 14, 2008
    mhm. My bf has a macbook pro. but fortunately he has a windows side so he just dl'd steam and css like that :razz:
  13. Apr 29, 2011
    WTH is this? Why put a limit on map size that can be downloaded from a game server? Well, I guess Ill just have to go download all of the goddamn maps then. If someone can just upload the Pf edited versions to Mediafire or something like that, I'll be good. Guess I will extend my admin after all.

Thanks for all the help guys.
  14. Apr 29, 2011
    Errr..... Could someone give me a list of all the maps in pF that are greater than 35 MB so I only have to go out and find what I absolutely have to?
  15. Mar 25, 2011

Those are the only pf ones i have >36 MB
  16. Apr 29, 2011
    Could you may haps give me those files over media fire?
    PS: Could you also tell me the names of any maps that aren't necessarily edited by pF, but are on the server? For now, I only want to know the ZE ones, I'll work on getting the MG and ZM ones at a later date.
  17. Jun 4, 2006
    http://plaguefest.com/index.php?/topic/8344-map-packs/ here you go.
  18. Apr 29, 2011

Welp, now i'm definitely going to resub my admin once it runs out (Using a new card) and I'll probably throw in a donation as well.

19. Jan 10, 2009
    i haven't really had any troubles when i have wanted to play. but then again it isn't as often as some of you. ill check this out tomorrow and see if the maps that are played when i get on have this issue.
  20. Apr 29, 2011
    Are you on a Mac? While this does occasionally happen to Windows, its pretty much universal for Macs, due to our crappy "Its over 35 MB, fuck that shit Im going home."

I have decided to start a list for why the Apple Headquarters should be nuked. This BS is one of them.