Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Counter-Strike: Source Works Out of the Box on Linux

Discussion in Software Sanctuary started by Aprz, Apr 30, 2014

1. Mar 26, 2012

I was pretty surprised how easy it was to install Steam and Counter-Strike: Source on Gentoo.

Code:
    $ wget http://media.steampowered.com/client/installer/steam.deb
    $ deb2targz steam.deb
    $ tar xvf steam.tar.gz -C /
    I installed the Steam client, and then installed Counter-Strike: Source through the Steam client. When I tried launching Counter-Strike: Source, I got an error.

Code:
    This application requires either the GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, or the GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 + GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt3 + GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt5 OpenGL extensions. Please install S3TC texture support.
    After one trillion picoseconds of searching Google, I found out I needed libtxc_dxtn. On Gentoo, you can obtain this via Portage.

Code:
    $ emerge media-libs/libtxc_dxtn
    And it worked.

My only issue is that it was so laggy that it was unplayable. I also needed to fix things with X like have it recognize my screen resolution cause Counter-Strike: Source only appeared in the upper left hand corner of my window manager. I didn't download ALSA yet so I had no sound. I was only able to talk through console by typing "say "Whatever I wanted to say"" because it wouldn't get passed the motd. :[ It's a really old laptop (I think 8-years-old) with an Intel graphics card, and my Internet has always been really shitty.

Oh well, that was fun. I am considering risking it on my better laptop and going back to exclusively using GNU/Linux. I used to use exclusively GNU/Linux for several years. I accidentally gave away my LiveCD, and made it unbootable. I could've just went to a friend's house to burn a new LiveCD, but decided that it was time to buy a new laptop. I bought this laptop with Windows 7 on, and decided to download Steam and Counter-Strike: Source for a little bit of fun. I was hooked, and was like "Fuck it, I am just gonna keeping playing on this", and haven't gone back to using GNU/Linux really until now. I did make some attempts again to install Archlinux on my old laptop (the one that has Gentoo now), but couldn't get GRUB2 to work, and didn't really care.
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • May 31, 2012
      • Zing! Zing! x 1