Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Course Maps?

Discussion in CS:S Custom Maps started by Rubber Johnny, Sep 10, 2011

1. Aug 12, 2011
    Sorry if I'm reviving an already-discussed topic, but I have no idea why the majority of course maps on this server were removed from the nominations list. Most people loved them, and it looks like the servers population has gone done a bit since this happened :frown:

I think these maps were on the server, if I'm wrong about any of them please correct me:
    http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/157609
    http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/143839
    http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/154925
    http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/146563
    http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/149760
    http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/156698
    http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/144305

I believe the only 2 true course maps left in the nominations list are Office_Course_2011 and Wipeout2.

So I'm just wondering if they could possibly be re-added or if someone could shed some light on why they were removed.

Ps. Good new saw map that could be looked at as well: http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/159428
  2. Feb 20, 2011
  3. Jun 4, 2006
    imo course maps are fun perhaps the first.. 3 times you play them then they get old quick, and due to the nature of some of them the server stays on them forever. I personally feel course maps have no business on MG. Course maps should be their own server imo, right next to bob maps. :confused:
  4. Aug 12, 2011
    For me the real fun of Course maps is mastering them, something that you couldn't be able to do in 3 rounds on good course maps at least.

I understand your point, but imo Course maps have more legitimacy on an MG server than maps like Smee Tower. Thanks though!
  5. Jun 4, 2006
    Smee actually has a ton of different ways to play it though, course maps are pretty limited and linear... and also smee (or similar) maps don't stay on the server for hours before changing. I understand the desire to master a course map, but imo this would be better done on a server dedicated to this type of map / game play, not a MG server. We try to keep a balance however, and we certainly had too many versions of saw and so forth loaded up on the rotation. If there's an outcry for any particular map that's been removed we can consider re-adding it.
  6. Jan 30, 2011
    I agree with Brian. I personally don't really enjoy course maps that have a spawn killer that makes whoever is already dead wait 10 minutes for the last person to die. Now, there are some good course maps that don't have a spawn killer, believe it was called ninja course or something of the sort, that one was fun.
  7. Aug 18, 2006
    Course maps are very popular though. They don't seem to decrease server population.

I'm sure they'd be more popular if we enabled respawn on all of the course maps. Could we consider that to be an option?
  8. Jan 21, 2011
    The afk killers would have to be disabled.
  9. Aug 12, 2011
    That could be done, despite the fact that most Course maps have spawn killers for a reason: Most course maps don't slay all players when they finish a map, JUST the winner himself. For maps like this, if there was no spawn killer, a round could go on forever when it shouldn't be, and it could definitely break the map. Also a map that never slays everyone like Bob requires everyone to RTV if they want the map to change, something I don't think should happen. You'd have to edit the map, it's possible though.

Also Brian I'm not quite sure what you're referring to when you say that Course maps are played for hours and hours, the only way that's possible is if the round never ends like on Bob, and all the maps I suggested don't suffer from this problem. If a map has a spawn killer, then it'll have several rounds and have the same potential for map time as anything else.

My hate for Smee is because it has no MG elements at all, it's just classic CT vs. T. Course maps can be inventive and a hell of a lot of fun if you have the dedication to get better at it.
  10. Aug 18, 2006
    Or make a plugin that removes any func_damage entities within a certain area. :tongue:

Agreed. There were 3 Smee maps on the server at one point which was absolutely stupid. I removed the ig one, but for some reason smee is too popular.
  11. Aug 12, 2011
    On some maps maybe, but if you just remove spawn killers it could break maps, for example on Saw players would be able to respawn after someone wins, playing it from that point on would be pointless.

Most of these maps were made with the intention that once you die, you're out. That's your own fault, and it contributes a lot to the excitement when you know that if you die you'll have to wait a minute or two for your next attempt.

It could work well on some maps though.
  12. Jun 4, 2006
    I really don't see any solid solution to course maps. The problem with spawn killer maps is players waiting forever for the round to end so they can actually try the course, this usually results in players leaving cause they're tired of waiting and/or would rather just play more traditional MG maps. The counter-argument you've already stated, the risk of dying and having to wait is part of course map game play / the excitement of it, putting this aside and going for respawn regardless the maps will now last forever like bob maps until there is an RTV, some maps will just down right break, and another issue is the plugin itself - certainly we wouldn't want respawn to be enabled 24/7. Only solution I see is the only keep the best of the best course maps and nothing less. Fuck 20 different versions of saw, we don't need that. And why we had all those smees was stupid, I only wanted fix2 from the beginning. Smee could be seen as just one 'level' from a multigame mg style map, similar to how say... an awp level is a part of a multigame mg map, there's nothing fancy to the awp level.. all it is is 2 sides with awps, just like any normal CSS map. Only difference of course is you don't play anything but that awp level... on a semi-related note it would be pretty funny / silly if a mapper made a multigame map, but instead of multigames it was just different versions of smee that you played each round. At any rate I digress, as I said the only logical / simple solution I see is to only keep the best course maps, we don't need to add every single little neato looking course map we see...
  13. Apr 14, 2011
  14. Mar 25, 2011
    I would be happy to edit any of these maps, as long as It's okay with the authors. I'm quite apprehensive about decompiling and making changes to other peoples maps.

And don't we have a telebox version of SAW?
  15. Apr 2, 2011
    Possibility: Create WarmCup Headshot style (in the sense of gun choosing... just random guns picked by the server) on the smee maps... would not have to be headshot.... hmmm could make smee more interesting...

SCREW COURSE MAPS, they all are terrible, the desire to master a shitty linear course boggles my mind.... why the fuck would you want to do that?! :wallbash:
  16. Apr 14, 2011
    fuck you too
    • Like Like x 1
    • Aug 12, 2011
      Because course maps are, if done right, inventive and fun. Take the stick out of your ass and at least have the decency to explain your hate with a little bit of reasoning.

I don't enjoy playing board games. Does that mean board games are shit, and no one should play them? No.

also lol Ace XD
    • Feb 21, 2007

Also, I think what we are ultimately talking about here is.....is MG a minigames only server...or is it a potpourri server?

I've always kinda viewed it as the latter...but I'm not on MG much so my opinion is mute.
    • Apr 2, 2011

I hate course maps because as soon as someone gets to the end of the map he/she whines and bitches that the map is boring and wants to switch it, OR he/she will laugh it up and cause others to whine and bitch... INSTEAD of listening to their shit I would rather play something were I don't want to strangle all of the players... Even if I just sit in spectate and catch those spamming and crap, it is still annoying as Hell... and I would rather play something more fun...

Granted any map is better than ski mountain... that map infuriates me to no end...

Also WHO WANTS TO MASTER A COURSE MAP??? Seriously... CSS was, and always will be to me a shooting game... while I may enjoy some platforming... but should just be a means to an end in the art of killing each other in the game.... heh art in CSS... heh heh....

Anyways I view that Course maps have really... no place in CSS as a whole... it is just the wrong damn place for them... if others wanna master courses like this, then A) create a course server... or B) find a different game...

Hopefully that KIND OF explains my hatred of those maps... :thumbsup:
    • Aug 12, 2011
      The Minigames genre of CS:S is centered/was created around various game modes that don't use weapons similarly as classic CS:S does, or not at all. CS:S is a wonderful game because of all of it's variety and modding capability, expansion is a good thing. You're saying you want a shooting game? Go play Deathmatch, this is MG we're talking about. Course maps have been a part of MG for a long time, and there's nothing differentiating it from the rest of MG, considering it's such a broad game mode.

You also state that you hate peoples attitude regarding Course maps... are you seriously blaming the map for this? People have shitty attitudes and opinions about everything, there will be people that don't want to play, they can RTV. If they spam, mute/gag them. This isn't the maps problem, it's the faggotry of people in the server.