Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

CPU Fan Failure

Discussion in Technical Support started by P@P@, Nov 27, 2012

1. Jul 16, 2012
    Started up my PC this morning and received the message :
    CPU Fan Failure
    Press f1 to continue
    Press f2 to enter setup

I pressed F1 and everything powered up as usual, is there any way I might be able to check what caused the failure?

http://imgur.com/sQnq5 is my current setup. My new case will be arriving some-time today so this will be changing :razz:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Apr 9, 2007
      I'm going to hazard a reply here, have you checked the CPU Fan?
      • Zing! Zing! x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
      • Good Idea Good Idea x 1
      • May 14, 2011
        This is what happens with most water cooled systems and the pump is not recognized by the motherboard as a real fan.

1. Check if your fan is actually spinning (if not replace it)
        2. Check if the fan is plugged into the motherboard correctly. (If not check if it works now)
        3. Hit F1 and monitor your CPU temps. If they are fine proceed if not get a new fan immediately/check if heat sink is attached properly.
        If all 3 of those are fine then you can disable this warning in your motherboard bios.

EDIT: I didn't real whole whole post. I jumped to kyles reply, sorry.

You can simply edit this setting on your mobo to disable the warning. Also please pull the cpu fan connector in and out of the mobo to check it is functioning.

EDIT 2: Update your mobo BIOS.
        • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
        • Jun 11, 2012
          Check if CPU fan is spinning differently than before. If you have knowledge of building PC (which I think you do due to your recent thread of which PC Case to buy), try reseating and check connectors to motherboard.
          Usually hard to tell in OS or Bios what the issue is for a hardware CPU fan failure since it can range from it failing to just loose connections.

Edit: I hate it when Ghost beats me to it :frown: but help is help :smile:
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
          • Apr 9, 2007
            • Funny Funny x 4
            • Winner Winner x 2
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • Jun 11, 2012
              • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
              • Jul 16, 2012
                lol yes, I checked it and everything seemed fine from the outside.

@Ghost
                I just removed the connector and plugged it back in, started back up and the message didn't appear.

@Bender Bending Rodriguez
                I actually don't know that much about computers to be honest, will be my first time removing the continents of my case to put them in another (I've removed my HDDrive, vid-card, and PSU before however)

Thanks for the help and sorry for being a nub :razz:
              • Nov 29, 2010
                First off, the fan needs to be spinning. No-Brainer, so go check the power cable for the CPU fan to see if it's spinning. Chances are the pins were loose
                Clam Chowder, Nov 27, 2012 Last edited by Clam Chowder, Nov 27, 2012
              • Jun 11, 2012
                It may just have been a loose connector, hope your new PC case fixes your issue and you can finally cool PC. So great fo you :smile:
                Benderius, Nov 27, 2012 Last edited by Bender Bending Rodriguez, Nov 27, 2012
              • Jul 16, 2012
                I still want to update my mobo, CPU fan/Heatsink, and ram. Then I'll probably get an SSD & new vid card lol
              • Jun 11, 2012
                Ahh yes, incremental update to hardware been there. Also SSD will make you join CSS faster, that's a thing. If you can afford 680 are super noice since I own 2 and they perform crazy.
              • Feb 14, 2012
                To be honest with you once you've experienced the load times of an SSD you will not want to go back.
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Useful Useful x 1
                • Mar 12, 2008

no probs.
                • Dec 6, 2011
                  Well, if anybody actually saw what @P@P@ 's setup looked like, they'd know exactly why he's getting errors -.-

But anyways, like I mentioned with you before, it's probably time to upgrade to a new mobo + CPU
                  Brett, Nov 27, 2012 Last edited by Brett, Nov 27, 2012
                • May 31, 2012
                  Looks like your CPU fan question has been addressed and resolved, but I do want to add this: RAM and SSD is always the first upgrade. ^ What he said; and when your friends and family see how fast your computer runs, they'll want one too. With the advances in technology and materials, prices have been really competitive and continue to decrease.
                • May 14, 2011

Anymore and its just a number.
                • Jul 8, 2012
                  I agree with this. You really don't need much more than this, but at least ram isn't very expensive.
                • Jul 16, 2012

Got everything setup in the new case, get everything plugged up nice and neat. Go to power on, and I hear a click (from pressing the power button)... Press it a few more times, nothing. So I unplugged everything, got the side panel taken off, and start looking around for the culprit. Checked every cable, everything was plugged up right. So I was baffled. A few weeks back I tried to change my PC around to another case that would hold my PSU, and the same thing happened.

I've came to the conclusion this Mobo is either A) Haunted or B) Rigged by Dell to only work with the Dell Studios XPS 7100 Case.

I now have to try & purchase a new Mobo, along with that I'll be purchasing a new CPU Fan, Heatsink, and Processor. Any suggestions? I'd prefer to keep the over-all budget under 350-400, if possible.
                • Dec 30, 2006
                  Woah, you have a computer made by dell? I'm going to assume you have the original motherboard too. If so then the connectors for the front panel are not the standard pins on an aftermarket case. Probably why it wouldn't turn on maybe? Try tracing the two wires from the power button on the dell case and see if you can plug in the connectors from your new case to the new pins.
                  • Informative Informative x 1
                  • May 14, 2011
                    Thats impossible. The most common mistake is to forget to plug in the 4/8 pin northbridge connector at the top of the board.

Elaborating on what sec said.

At the bottom right of you motherboard there is a group of pins known as the front panel connectors. Your best bet is to find an assortment of pins and read the mother board. There should be wrtinging around the pins such as PWR, RST, HDD LED.

First off try to trace the wires from the front panel in your old case as sec said.

DO NOT TRY THIS
                    If you cant find it you can resort to russian roulette. You need to short a pair of pins. I recommend using a resistor or a multimeter. If you touch a correct pair your pc will power up.