Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

cpu thoughts.

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by brownieapple, Aug 23, 2011

intel quad core vs and hex core

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz 2 vote(s) 22.2%
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz 7 vote(s) 77.8%
  1. Jan 10, 2009
    i'm kind of stuck about which direction i want to go. i know for sure that the i5 is better hands down [i've looked at all the benchmark tests and what not]. i know that the x6 will be better at multi-threading but other than that the two extra cores will just kinda be a bump on a log since i don't use many apps that require multi-threading that other than the occasional photochop.

so this is my problem. i can either get on the next big thing by jumping on board with the hex core systems. or just have raw power with the i5. need help. :frown:
  2. Apr 9, 2007
    Get the 2600K. I do hate AMD though, so I'm a bit biased.
  3. Jan 10, 2009
    i thought about going that route as well since i am buying the entire system over time. but so far all i have is the case.
  4. Oct 22, 2007
    if you can wait a few months the 2011 socket should be out and the i5 will be it's bitch... i7 kills the i5 when you start going into the multi gpu area of things, but i5 clocks like a beast. Besides that new socket i believe will go 4 channel on memory instead of 3 i7 or 2 i5.
  5. Jan 10, 2009
    yeah i have plenty of time to wait. i was planning on buying everything one at a time or just saving up and buying it at once. unless i come across some crazy deals.

when is the new socket coming out?
  6. Jul 14, 2010
    Are you planning on overclocking a little, or a lot for max overclock performance or stability?
  7. Jan 10, 2009
    in the end i plan on water-cooling the system after i have the system set up and have it running.

so i think i will be trying to max it out maybe.
  8. Feb 21, 2007
    what are u primarily running? If you need cpu intensive things done, I would go with the 2600 as kyle suggested. If not, then stick with the i5
  9. Jan 10, 2009
    mainly just games/p2p i have my macbook for general internet use and other various things. the only really intensive things i will be using the computer for is photoshop/illustrator but that isn't very often maybe 2 or 3 times a month.
  10. Oct 27, 2010
  11. Jan 10, 2009
    thanks guys. I'm starting to have an idea of what road to take.
  12. Feb 21, 2007
    for reference, I have a q9550 cpu, and I do some cpu intensive stuff, and I am perfectly happy with it. No problems in games either.
  13. Jan 10, 2009
    okay cool rets! and again thanks everybody. i have decided to go with the i5 2500k. also i just got my case in yesterday. it looks way better than it does in the pictures online. i was sort of second guessing my purchase. but when i opened it up i was more than impressed. now i just need to get the rest of everything >.>

oh and another question. AMD 6950 or nvidia equivalent [which would be what exactly]? i want a mid/high-end card i guess.

//EDIT//

Here is what i currently have on the wish list. [ignore the rads and random stuff. also note i do not have thermal paste in there ignore that. if you have any feedback to which is a better paste i would love to hear it.]
  14. Oct 27, 2010
    The 6950 is a good choice (the 2GB version specifically) because it's the the best performance for the price range. Also it give you a really good option for upgrading in the future by simply adding second one on to your system in crossfire. With two cards it will be about the same as the GTX 590 at about $200 cheaper.

But one should do you for now.
  15. Jun 23, 2010
    Best CPU for gaming is either the i5 2500k or the i7 2600k or wait for the new Ivy bridge CPU.
  16. Feb 21, 2007
    Shin-etsu Is the best of the best :> and Coollaboratory Liquid PRO
  18. Oct 27, 2010

How to make diamond based thermal compound: Here.
  19. Jan 10, 2009

O_O wat? have you made this and tested it yourself? interested i am. sort of.
  20. Jun 23, 2010
    Lol Idk where you get that from. But a lot of Overclocking pros still use this.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=150&Itemid=62

But remember, you need a good cooler too :smile: