Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by ::1/128, Jan 25, 2012

1. Oct 27, 2010
    So I have ASUS RAMPAGE II GENE MOBO on my computer. This MOBO has on board RAID. I have a RAID 5 setup on three of my HDD drives and a RAID 0 setup on my two SSD's which I use as my boot. Recently I have noticed a problem: If I leave the computer idle for an extended period of time(I haven't been able to narrow down the time period) the computer freezes up and I need to reboot the computer to get it working again. I think I've narrowed down the problem to the RAID setup as I have noticed that if I am verifying the RAID integrity of the RAID 5 setup the computer will not freeze up so long as the verification is in progress. This work around suits me at this present time so its not a huge problem.Also, It never freezes up while in game. I'm would like to know what causes this though. Is it just that an on-MOBO RAID setup always sucks? Is it likely that there is something wrong with my setup? If anyone has any insight as to why this would happen I would very much appreciate it.
  2. Mar 20, 2011
    Mr. Loopback, onboard raid can suck really bad. I have found using raid PCI or PCIe controllers usually always pwn. Have you seen if there is a BIOS upgrade or Raid BIOS upgrade for your onboard controller? Also have you seen if there are any updated raid drivers for your mobo? I personally like adaptec controllers but there are a lot of great ones out there too.

LSI also has some bomb controller too

3. Oct 27, 2010
    I figured that this was the case, it's just nice to have it confirmed. I've update all of the BIOS and Driver software to no avail. It is tax return season so I'll probably just invest in a proper controller just to get the experience with it. Thanks :thumbsup:
  4. Dec 7, 2010
    I personally never had problems with my built in Mavell RAID controller. As Churma mentioned, make sure you are running the latest firmware and drivers.
  5. Oct 27, 2010
    Mine had worked fine for a couple of years, but the whole experience has been going south. This problem started a several months ago and then one of the drives ended up failing on the RAID 5 setup. I replaced the drive and rebuilt the array but the problem persisted after that. Could it be a failure with one of the other drives? I've run test on all of them and haven't detected anything. This is what has lead me to believe that it is a failing in the on board controller. It's not so much a problem for me as it is a point of interest in what I hope is my future career :razz: so if you have any suggestions in narrowing down the fault it would be really cool.
  6. Dec 7, 2010
    I've been working with RAID controllers for 20 years and one thing typically fails as part of their circuitry. To make RAID 5 algorithm function there is a built in XOR processor. Most XOR processors run extremely hot and must be air cooled at all times as they have high failure rates. If you don't have a direct cooling system on the RAID circuitry it can fail in just a few years. If you looked at your motherboard there are either heat pipes, heat sinks or cooling fins. The more functionality that is packed into the motherboard the greater cooling it requires.

I personally have a dedicated fan cooling the mobo for this reason. Once the XOR fails, all you can do is fall back to using RAID 0. The basic RAID function will work, but the striped error correction will not. The bottom line: If you want RAID 5 functionality again, you will need to buy a SATA RAID card or switch your RAID to 0 on your mobo.
  7. Apr 9, 2007
    I was under the impression that the XOR process was handled entirely by the CPU (He isn't running 'true' hardware RAID)?

Honestly? I wouldn't look at your array. I'd look at the PSU -> GFX (any other addon cards as well) -> CPU -> Ram -> then your HDDs running in your various RAID setups.

Quick way to do this (PSU, CPU, RAM)? Boot MemTest86+ off of a flash drive and just run it for a few hours.
  8. Oct 27, 2010
    I had done this this a few months ago and didn't fine anything, I'll run it again later this week and see if I pick up anything.