Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Crazy Lag only on ZM

Discussion in Technical Support started by errl, May 4, 2013

1. Jan 17, 2013
    Every now and then, especially when i'm at home, i can't even play ZM because of the lag. it's so intense to the point my whole screen is lagging, and all the sound cuts out for sometimes up to 30 seconds then it'll work, then lag again. it's weird because it only happens at home, and only on the ZM server. i need to get a video of how serious this lag is, it's not your typical jittery lag, this shuts down my whole ability to play lol

i can play other servers with just as many people and won't lag at all. i can play at work all night long, and there at work there's probably a good 50-100 computers taking in wifi so i have no idea why at home it lags when i only have three computers on the internet.

Any idea what would be causing this? i was going to get a new router but i don't want to buy one and that not fix the problem.
  2. Feb 27, 2012
    What kind of lag is it exactly? Frame rate lag? Or just actual connection lag? Because if it's frame rate, it's your computer, not your internet.
  3. Jan 17, 2013
    i might sound dumb but i don't know the difference in those.

when i lag, on my screen it'll show me walk like ten feet, then lag back to where i was when it started, then walk again, then go back. it'll do that about ten times or more before it kicks back in, and when i kicks back in the little symbols pop up saying i just added stuff to my inventory, like the grenades, p90 and pistol.

i just need to get a clip of it happening to show you, it's ridiculous.
  4. Apr 12, 2012
    Thats server/internet lag
  5. Dec 30, 2006
    Definitely not FPS lag. I agree with Andrew on this. But I also think it's probably on your end of the connection rather than ours. Might want to verify your signals with your ISP and check for packet loss at different hops, etc etc.
  6. Dec 7, 2012
    Try lowering your video settings in CSS. That should help a little or a lot. "Good luck!":wink:
  7. Jan 17, 2013
    Secprotocol, how do i find out about the packet loss stuff? just call my ISP and have them check over everything or what?

and Ghosted, i'll give that a try, but i know my computer can handle pretty intense graphics without lagging. Skyrim for example, i can play on the highest settings and not lag at all, but of course that's not online play either..
  8. Apr 12, 2012
    Yeah I agree, its probably his end. I was just saying what he described could be server lag, although in this case its not because it seems he's the only one lagging at the time.

I would doubt its packet loss if you don't have this problem on other servers.. if you've made it past enough hops/relays so that all other servers don't cause lag, I don't think you'd randomly be dropping packets halfway thru or more towards pF's side. But, it cant hurt: You can go into the windows console (type 'cmd' in run) and type 'tracert zm.plaguefest.com' to run a traceroute and see if there is loss. If there is, it will say 'timed out' or something similar (cant quite remember, but it'll be obvious).
  9. Nov 11, 2011
    When this happens to me and I can't figure it out:

10. Jan 17, 2013
    ^hahah that's exactly how i am when it happens