Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

CS:GO instances

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by Ghost, Sep 1, 2012

1. May 14, 2011
    So I have realised CS:GO has an instances folder.

From what I remember from my brief stabs at Portal 2 mapping instances are like separate maps in thier own right.

Would this mean you could go way about the entity limit in cs:go?

I will tag @Motanum because he has experience mapping with portal. :smile:

I found this quite a revelation.
  2. Nov 11, 2011
    I would be curious to find out as well.
  3. May 31, 2012
    I doubt it will allow you to go past the entity limit, being it a static one, and considering this instance thing is, according to the Dev Wiki, like a prefab system to simplify things. I suppose that, while compiling, Hammer will load the instance's vmf file and 'paste' them into the map, so they are only a 'Hammer-side' thing. I might be wrong, though, as I've never worked with them.
  4. May 14, 2011
    Thats why I tagged mot. In Portal 2 I'm sure they went way over the entity limit with those bot disassemblers things when you go into the pipe in co-op. That isnt a vid btw, its all part of the map.
  5. May 31, 2012
    You could test it quite easily actually. Make an instance with a shitload of point_spotlights (for example 16 or 32 so that it's a power of 2) and then place the needed (theorical) amount of those to normally crash the game (considering the 2048 entity limit of course).

Edit: as an unrelated note, I think that the entities per player on GO have increased by 2-3. This might bug some mappers (ZE mappers specially, complicated MG mappers too...)
  6. Jan 9, 2012
    When you compile, the instances is dropped in the map. So any entities in the instance will also be included in the map. So it does not save you entities. If you are not carefull it can be quite the opposite.

I can see instances being used for setting up common entities in zego maps. Like @command to fire out say commands, an instance for signature, or an instance for difficulties.

In short. If you have 10 entities in the map. Decide to remove them and copy them into an entity. When you compile you will still have the 10 entities.
  7. May 14, 2011
    Ah shame but still useful if you know how to use them.
  8. Apr 9, 2012
    The entity limit is still there. There are 'rumours' that it has been increased in GO but I don't believe it for a second...