Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Tutorial CS:GO SDK: what's new

Discussion in Resources & Tutorials started by GRUDGE, Jun 8, 2012

1. Jul 28, 2011
    I figured that this can be a thread to help out anybody who is using the CS:GO SDK for the first time or the nth time. Feel free to ask questions here or point out other differences you find that will help people making the switch.

1. Distances
    The first thing I want to point out is that in CS:GO player heights are slightly different than they are in CS:S. What I mean by this is that the player models are still both 72 units high, but the spaces they fit in differs. This will be very important because some crouching spots will no longer be accessible and some spots that you could walk in before will now be crouch spots.

For CS:S, a player can crouch under any space at least 48 units high and can stand under any space at least 64 units high.

For CS:GO, a player can crouch under any space at least 64 units high and stand under any space at least 73 units high. That means that if the distance between the roof and the floor of a location is 72 units in GO, players will be required to crouch.

The highest a player can jump is still 64 units (I believe it is 65 for players with a donor or admin skin).

2. Ladders
    If you used func_ladders to make a ladder in CS:S, you will find that this does not work in CS:GO. Making ladders is still very easy, though. Simply use the tools/toolsinvisibleladder texture and apply it to a brush. It should automatically be added to the Tool Brushes > Invisible > Ladder visgroup and will work with no problem.

3. Precipitation
    Precipitation is a lot better in CS:GO than in CS:S. In CS:S, rain would fall from where you told it to and ignore anything like roofs, so you would have rain inside unless you put a lot of effort into telling the rain exactly where to fall.

In CS:GO, you just have to make a large brush using the tools/toolstriggers texture and turn it into a func_precipitation. It should cover your whole map. So what's different about precipitation in GO? Well, first off, brushes will block rain, so rain will not go through your rooftops. Another thing is that you now have the option to choose options like particle rainstorm or particle snow for more variety.

However, one thing you have to keep in mind is that the rain/precipitation will not show up unless your func_precipitation brush is 1024 units high (not 100% sure about that measurement yet). What this means is that you may need to raise your skybox significantly. Anything closer than 1024 units to the top of the precipitation brush will not have rain, so instead of making the skybox 1024 units from the ground, you will need to make it 1024 from the highest point players can go.

4. Lighting
    All of your light entities and light_spot entities should be fine. However, CS:GO will only make your map look even better. The light_environment entity now casts dynamic shadows from the tools/toolsskybox texture, so any place outside has the potential to look a lot better than it does in CS:S. I believe that you can adjust the color of the shadows cast by the light_environment by adjusting the ambient setting. I recommend not using a dark color for that (unless it is night time) because it will make the shadows look strange and contrast with everything else at an unnatural level.

Another thing that I am happy about is that these dynamic shadows mentioned above are still cast (to some degree) when no light entities have been added to your map (aka mat_fullbright). These shadows will be pitch black. This should make fullbright maps even uglier than ever, and hopefully help with the death of all fullbright maps! :devil:

5. Porting your CS:S map to CS:GO
    Porting your map will be pretty easy for the most part, but part of that depends on your map. Keep all of the things mentioned above in mind, but also these:

CS:GO has some of the same textures and models as CS:S, but many of them are different too. I recommend that instead of simply porting all of the models and textures from CS:S to your fresh GO port that you replace them instead. This should reduce the file size of your map significantly and also hopefully bring about a visual upgrade. I know it's hard to say goodbye sometimes, though.

When replacing the textures in your map, a handy tool to use is the "replace textures" feature (this is still available for you in CS:S as well). Open up the texture tool [Shift + A] and click "Replace...". Select the texture you want to get rid of under the "Find" section, and then select the new texture you want under the "Replace" section, then hit OK!

CS:GO still has the most popular two cade props: the vending machine and the sofa. The vending machine also has two new skins available, so you can check those out if you want. However, it is easy to fear the unknown. Some of these new props are just so intimidating! How do you know if it will make a good cade prop? One thing you can do is under the model browser, go to the "info" tab under the preview of the model selected. It will tell you whether the selected model can be a prop_physics, prop_dynamic, or prop_static (remember, you can always use override!). It will also tell you the mass of that object. For reference, the famous sofa has a mass of 50, while the beloved vending machine has a mass of 100. If you make the props a prop_physics_override, you can even adjust the mass scale to your liking!

6. Custom content
    As of now, I do not believe custom sounds work in CS:GO. I have not tried mp3s yet, but I know (as of a couple weeks ago) that wavs did not work. The preview works in hammer, but not in game.

Also, packbsp does not currently support CS:GO, so you will have to use something like pakrat until packbsp receives an update.

Hopefully some of you will find this information useful. There are a lot of other new features which I have not / will not touch on now, especially a lot of new entities like postprocessing and cascade light. If anyone has anything to add, do it!

Edit: also forgot to point out, updated compiler is better!
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
      GRUDGE, Jun 8, 2012 Last edited by GRUDGE, Jun 24, 2012
    • May 15, 2011

Went and played with it. Yes, if your ceiling is under 1024 Units the Rain will not be displayed.

Heh. Even when testing, it's pretty as fuck. The lighting is so much better.

• Nov 11, 2011
      Lighting is amazing, just fix the damn game play. Bring the old gun models and sounds back and I'll be a fan! -_-
    • Aug 1, 2011
      I'm sure someone will find a way to bring them back, I wouldn't worry much :smile:.
    • May 15, 2011
      Yes. The modellers over at GB have already made some, like the MP5, now replaces the MP9/4. Sounds and all, with updated graphics.
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Jan 28, 2012
        I found out the height thing the hard way after spending hours making a vent system then having to redo it because I couldn't fit in them.

Also, custom content and sounds do work. You can tell from one of my youtube videos I had music playing just fine. Plus I added a custom Nihilanth model to my map as well.
      • Jul 28, 2011
        Ohhh nice! I knew that custom models/textures worked, but the last time (maybe a month or so ago) I tried sounds they did not work, and I found that other people were having the same issue. I'll be sure to try them out again though!
      • Nov 11, 2011
        I redux and sdk works. What are the odds homeslice? :razz:
      • Jul 28, 2011
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Dec 3, 2011
          Any idea how it comes i cannot see the SDK from CS:GO? Would like to see how that new SDK is and how advance it became, maybe then i can port my escape maps also to CS:GO since ive been asked already if i could do that, so why not.
        • May 14, 2011
          If you have CS:GO then its the same procedure as installing Source SDK, go to Tools and download it.
        • Dec 3, 2011
          I dont have the CS:GO 'yet'.. and i cannot buy it also, there is no option to do that yet
        • May 14, 2011

If you manage to get it just go to tools and you will have the SDK for it.
        • Jul 28, 2011
          You're going to have to either wait until you get a beta invite or until its official release on August 21. There might be a stage where the beta is opened to all players as well. And don't get your hopes up too much, the SDK is not really "advanced" at all.
        • Dec 3, 2011
          I dont beg for stuff like that so i prefer will wait until it comes out :razz:

I see, it would be nice to make my maps also available for CS:GO but hey then i wait untill it comes out.
        • Nov 11, 2011
          I doubt they will open up another beta wave right before release date.