Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

CS:GO shadows!

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by nyronic, May 2, 2012

1. May 17, 2011
    Anyone who's played the beta or seen footage of has probably noticed the vastly improved shadows.

I was trying to figure out how they did this so without destroying your PC with a bunch of doom 3 light calculations, here's what I've figured out:

http://imgur.com/a/K5YIn <- screenshots showing what I've explained below.
    • shadow_control seems to be obsolete now, instead dynamic shadows will use your light_environment angle(I think).
    • light_environment seems to cast a dynamic shadow covering the entire map.
    • light_environment lightmaps still exist.
    • lightmaps fade out when far.
    • dynamic shadows fade in when close.
    • dynamic shadows now cast on models, not just brushes. This includes the weapon model on your screen as well.
    • dynamic shadows are not drawn if the object is not in the light_environment's light.

As a side effect, there are no longer dynamic shadows when indoors. However there was a command called r_shadowfromanyworldlight but it doesn't seem to work. I'm assuming in future versions of Source we'll see true dynamic shadows casted from world lights for models. Much like the flashlight which casts client side lighting/shadows. I do recall an early HL2: EP2 preview video that displayed this when a Vortigaunt was killing an Ant Lion, the light coming from his green electricity attack was casting dynamic shadows everywhere.

Out door maps are going to look way better now, and the best part is its not expensive at all to render.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Mapping King Mapping King x 2
    • Feb 24, 2011
      I surely love this improvement. I cant wait to play around with it.
    • Nov 11, 2011
    • Jul 28, 2011
      I will welcome anything that will allow me to half ass my work and then have the updated engine make it look better for me.

Ha jk, but I'm really glad to see these changes. Also @nyronic , you wouldn't happen to be one of the 5 or so people who got the CS:GO SDK beta, would you? :razz: edit: as of now, 5 or so people = everybody!!! :grin:
      GRUDGE, May 4, 2012 Last edited by GRUDGE, May 4, 2012
    • Dec 6, 2011
      @Luffaren 's new map will be 50TB big and look like this:

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Jan 21, 2011
      • Aug 18, 2006
        The shadows in CS:GO are really, really impressive. I was amazed how much better/alive the game felt after they implemented it. The trees move and the leaves flutter in the wind, and those get cast by the shadows as well.
      • Dec 6, 2011
        Exactly. Just imagine how much more traffic we'll pull in with ZE maps on GO. I've already converted about 6-7 friends in the past couple months from console to PC just because of newer/better graphics.
      • Nov 11, 2011
      • Dec 6, 2011

2. Let me see you set up ZE w/ all of the plug-ins and mods on a PS3 ^^
      • Nov 11, 2011
        Just wait till PlayStation 4 and Xbox720 come out bro! Just kidding, I hate console even though I have them. They are sitting collecting dust.
      • Dec 6, 2011
        They're putting this generations graphics into them, while they're not releasing them until late 2013 or so. AMD 9000 series would be out, as well as GTX 800 series. So your HD 9970, or GTX 880 will be almost twice as good performance wise than the 7970/680 if you consider how fast technology is moving.
      • May 17, 2011
        Players cast shadows too, but they disappear once you go indoors out of the sunlight. Which is probably better because it looked weird having a shadow cast in the wrong direction.
      • Mar 12, 2008
        Dynamic shadows you say? I believe I may need a change of pants. Or some water.

Imagine the fun you can have with this... it will make running through brush and trees in ZE that much more intense. Not only that, but being shadowed by objects falling/launching through the sky as well. That's very impressive. I'm glad that it respects proper objects, like walls and the such. Otherwise it'd be a bit weird to have a constant shadow.