Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

De-extinction: Playing god, or FUCK YEAH, Science?

Discussion in In The News started by Taters, Mar 25, 2013

1. Mar 12, 2008

http://www.thejournal.ie/science-conference-de-extinction-840062-Mar2013/

"...taking old DNA samples, reassembling them into a full genome which is then injected into embryonic cells which have had their own DNA taken out, and then finding a suitable living surrogate to give birth."

No, dinosaurs are not possible.

The list is pretty big so far. It would be amazing to see if/what they can "bring back" .

If i can at least try a wooly-mammoth steak in my lifetime i can die happy.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Apr 1, 2012

it's been a habit for many humans to think that something they do not understand as something that is a work of an ethereal supreme being when there's a perfectly logical explanation for such occurence to happen.
      e.g. I can imagine that centuries ago where people have no logical explanations of what lightning strike is, they would say: it must be god's work, you can't explain that!
      *insert Bill O'Reily pic here*
      and then when Tesla built his own tesla coil, people would say that he's playing god with dem man-made lightnings.

if tesla coil is too hard for you: 40 years ago, if you bring out the iPad 4 to the public, people would go "wow, is he the 2nd Jesus?"
      that's just how most people are.

no don't storm me with dem "fucking atheist" comment.... hang on.. *puts on flame retardant suit*
      ok now you can flame all you want.

to be honest it would be real awesome to bring back extinct animals as long as they bring more good (aesthetic, commercial or personal uses) rather than harm (harmful environmental impact such as food chain and the ecosystem).
      sure, mammoth steak sounds awesome but what if you need to feed 1 mammoth 157 kg of grass everyday or 30 Snickers and keep them refrigerated in a 400 meter cubic cooler at exactly 250 Kelvin? that would be one hell of a maintenance cost just for a mammoth. overall, it's cost-to-benefit analysis.
    • Mar 12, 2008
      I don't want a "god vs. athiest" thread. The title of the thread was alluding to the page it linked. I'm putting this up so that there's an actual intelligent discussion on the forums that provokes thoughts and ideas on a major current event. I'll not have a flame war about religions. I will be reporting each and every post that attempts to flame one side or the other.

What is with your reply.
      You sound like one of those militant athiest that do as they please and are the first to chime in on a one-sided debate about the "magic sky genie".

personally I am an athiest but I do not give a fuck what someone else believes in. If you believe there is an all-knowing and powerful creator, that's cool. If you believe that the can of expired tuna in your fridge will be the answer to life and all of the afterlife, then that's a little crazy but who am I to tell you that you're wrong? I live by one rule when it comes to meeting people and making friends: If you do fine by me, you're O.K. If you're forcing your religion or beliefs on me, you can go get fucked, and I would tell you to do so. This includes other "athiests" and how they choose to act around me.

EDIT: Cleaned and kept somewhat civil
      Taters, Mar 25, 2013 Last edited by Taters, Mar 25, 2013
    • Dec 6, 2011
      This would be totally awesome, but wouldn't there be obvious difficulties to overcome? The world was completely different millions of years ago so these things likely won't survive well, unless they're living in a controlled habitat (which will also be expensive). I'm not sure exactly how this is going to work, but it'd be nice to see it happen so we can study these species further.
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Apr 1, 2012
        well good for you, the point I was making is that most of us are comfortable living in ignorance (not many of us go like "I wonder why the clear sky at day is blue instead of pink"), but now it's no longer relevant to your thread title or contents.

anyway, getting Dodos and other birds back would be just fine. Mammoth and sabretooth cat? need a lot of thinking.
      • Mar 12, 2008
        In that article they mentioned they tried to "bring back" an extinct wild goat species, but it died shortly after it was birthed. This was roughly ten years ago, but who knows what could happen now. Things truly are different than they were back then though. You never know that the species may be allergic to certain pathogens or even medical supplies/atmospheric conditions, temperatures...literally anything can go wrong. This is just for the initial DNA replacement. The actual embryonic development is another hurdle to jump. Any number of things can happen before and after the birth as well.

I just hope they go about it carefully instead of wasting precious resources.

It was never relevant.
        • Like Like x 1
        • Dec 6, 2011
          I'm not that familiar with genetics, but wouldn't their immune system be based on what it was back when they were alive? Just the difference in air would fuck with them terribly. The air quality was much more rich with oxygen, and would probably be crucial for any of these extinct to live again.
        • Mar 12, 2008
          Another concern. I'd also wager the elevation would also have something to do with it. Even if the species is successfully bred, they might need to remain in a carefully controlled environment before they can be released to a zoo, or research facility or wherever it is going.

I would like to see them bring back the sabertooth. That would be a sight for sure. It would be a waste to see any of the "resurrected" species end up on a dissection table.
        • Jan 11, 2012
          I think if they really did this, they'd even do some genetic engineering giving them the immune system or they do it like in the movie Evolution and let some hundreds of them die & evolve themselves or stuff.

Bringing back mammoths would be awesome as fuck. I can see the Warcraft cosplays with epic mounts, haha ^^
        • Dec 6, 2011
          A Sabertooth was always my favorite animal when I was younger.

That kind of stuff is only in movies for a reason... O.o
        • Mar 12, 2008
          Force-evolving sounds like a recipe for disaster. I'd love to see mammoths brought back. A beast that large can surely be of some use. If they are allowed to evolve to their surroundings, that would make it easier down the road to have different varieties.

...Maybe even smaller ones for a little bit of WoW RP

On this same topic, there was a thread recently on reddit about a type of swallows that developed shorter wings to make more frequent turns and fly faster because they lived next to a freeway for ~30 years. Not sure about the legitimacy of that report, but if it's true it's definetly adaptation to it's finest.
        • Jan 11, 2012
          That stuff is possible and serious science
        • Jun 10, 2011

/quitthread
          • Like Like x 1
          • Dec 6, 2011
            30 years is damn short for an adaption, possibly just a minor difference in length of wings?
          • Feb 21, 2007
            I hope they can bring back saber-tooth tigers. I've been looking for a challenge in hand-to-hand combat lately.....
            • Funny Funny x 3
            • Like Like x 1
            • Mar 4, 2012
              Is anything truly a challenge for the gladiatorial master and sexual beast retslag?

In fact I would argue that the best lag is retslag.
              • Like Like x 1
              • Feb 18, 2011
                Lets do this for humans too. Zombie infestation detected.
              • Mar 12, 2008
                That's not how it works. Possible to bring back earlier hominid species? perhaps.
              • Dec 6, 2011
                This is why we need more geeks in genetic engineering. So fools like Anathema can buy a winged monkey with a horn on its head.
              • Jul 1, 2010
                Genetics is one of my obsessions >.< Got deep in a four year degree in it at OSU before switching to a 2 year forensics degree... I have several genetics classes (including gene manipulation) upcoming in my forensic biology track at my university I'm going to be going to, and I can't wait heh. Taking a genetics course now as well heh.
                • Like Like x 1