Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Decals or overlays?

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by Trond, Dec 1, 2013

1. Jul 20, 2012
    What's the difference between the two other then I can manipulate the overlay while decal always stays the same? And why can't I see decal other than it being almost entirely black in-game?
  2. Apr 9, 2012
    Decals are cheaper, much cheaper than overlays and can only be used on textures that have the
    Code:
    "$decal" "1"
    parameter in their .VMF

Also decals can't be modified in size or orientation, and are more difficult to be used on curved walls/faces.
    Overlays however, can use any texture, no matter what settings (unless it's a texture that is being used on a model but usually you don't encounter this issue as those textures don't show up in the material browser). They can be rotated, resized in any way, and can be applied on any surface. You can even click/select the surface you want it to be on. As a result, these are 'much' more expensive. Also, overlays are not counted toward entity limits, decals apparantly do (although there is some debate about that).

You should use either, but I suggest overlays, because of the entity count. Do know that you can use a maximum of 500 in your map, so make sure to apply the right overlays at the right place. 500 is a number you should never reach anyways xD and don't worry about them being so called 'expensive' as they really aren't and they can achieve effects that you could hardly do with a decal in most cases.

The thing is, decal textures have settings with size and appearance as they should appear in Source, indicating that Valve suggests those are the best settings for the decals. I you were to stretch or change their size it would look worse, so that's mainly the idea and probably difference between overlay and decal.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
      JorisCeoen, Dec 1, 2013 Last edited by JorisCeoen, Dec 1, 2013
    • Jul 20, 2012
      Strange do give Decal such an important part then with its own button in Hammer. My short experience is like you said that Overlay is easy to fiddle around with making it to my likings with the surroundings.
    • May 31, 2012
      Both are counted towards the edict limit when the map is spawned but not later down the road (at the point they're into the game they're deleted and are rendered forever). You can test it by putting 2048 decals/overlays. The game will blow up on map load.
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Jul 20, 2012
        I may have dozent more small chit chat questions about SourceSDK, or is it just called Hammer now? Anyway are there such a thread or do I make a new thread each time I wonder about something about mapmaking? Cause I don't want to be a "spammer". Apropos limits, I'm making a new thread about the question so I don't forget about it.
      • Apr 3, 2013
        Yeah, it's just called "hammer" now.

Go to Steamapps // Common // CS:S // bin // hammer.exe
      • Feb 27, 2012
        You could go to your Original Post and edit the title of the thread to "Trond's Hammer Questions" or something. And just bump this thread whenever you have an issue. That way as you said, you don't flood our mapping section with questions :wink:
      • Apr 9, 2012
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_Hammer_Editor

SourceSDK just brings everything all together that you could need to edit your game. Face Poser, Hammer, all the compile programs, bspzip, etc.