Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Desperate problem, cubemaps and bumpmaps.

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by llVeXXll, Sep 14, 2012

1. Jun 18, 2012
    CUBEMAPS- what I did: created several custom textures. Added this to their vmts "$envmap" "env_cubemap". Inside of hammer, they became shiney, which indicates my vmts are correct. Placed cubemaps inside the level. Compiled and ran the map. Typed into the console: "sv_cheats 1" and "buildcubemaps". It took a load of pictures and restarted the map. I changed to a different map, then loaded the other one back up, no reflections are visible. I typed into the console "sv_cheats 1" and "r_showenvcubemaps". My glove and piston reflected their environment perfectly, changing from room to room, which indicates the problem is not with my cubemap entities. Finally, sent the map and textures to a friend to test. AND THEY COULD SEE THE REFLECTIONS PERFECTLY, WTF?

BUMPMAPS- what I did: created a bumpmap and saved as a vtf. Been creating bumpmaps for a long time so I know the issue is not because the bumpmap is too weak. Added to the vmt of the textures I want to have a bumpmap "$bumpmap" "file path" and even tried also adding "$normalmap" "filepath". None of them are showing up in Hammer or in game. I typed "sv_cheats 1" and "mat_normalmaps 1" which should instantly change all the textures which have a bumpmap, to display their bumpmaps, but this did nothing, they all stayed as their original diffuse textures. FOR SOME STRANGE REASON, one bumpmap IS working, but this is an animated bump map, on a water shader, and even then, when I type "mat_normalmaps 1" the shader stays as its diffuse texture and I can't view the bumpmap. No one else I have asked to test this out can view my normalmaps either.

It is worth mentioning that I never had any of these problems during the beta.
  2. Apr 9, 2012
    First things first: You never use $normalmap on a normal texture. $normalmap is used for water textures. For normal textures, just use $bumpmap
    Secondly, when you are creating these throught VTFEdit, make sure you vinked the 'Normal map' option.

[IMG]
    Like this ^

Also, I've been trying to use env_cubemap for some time with bumpmaps, and as you may have noticed, combining specular maps with bumpmaps result in horrible reflections. Make sure you use env_maptint:

"LightmappedGeneric"
    {
    "$basetexture" "cathedral/cathedral_floor01"
    "$bumpmap" "cathedral/cathedral_floor01_normal"
    "$surfaceprop" "Rock"
    "$surfaceprop2" "Rock"
    "$envmap" "env_cubemap"
    "$envmaptint" "[ 0.05 0.05 0.05]"
    "%keywords" "cathedral church floor 01 rock"
    }

Something like that will still give you little reflections while keeping the bumpmap. Many people do not realise this is possible but you can reduce them with env_maptint
    If they do not seem to show up in-game, make sure you used 'buildcubemaps' once you runned the map. If it didn't work, then you might want to enable bumpmaps to show via console by the command you used. If they do not show up, you simply misbuild them. Try doing what I did above. You either forgot the bumpmap flag, inserted a wrong path/missed a string/used $normalmap instead of $bumpmap and so on...

I sometimes use a bumpmap, specular map and parallaxmap all together in 1 texture and this gives me no problems :smile:
    JorisCeoen, Sep 14, 2012 Last edited by JorisCeoen, Sep 14, 2012
  3. Jun 18, 2012
    Thanks Joris but I am still having problems. The normal map check box is checked on the vtf, I am only using "$bumpmap" and not normal map, I have realised using bump maps and cube maps together is tricky but I am not using them together, these are 2 seperate problems. bump maps alone wont show up. And cubemaps show up on everyone elses PC except for mine.
  4. Apr 9, 2012
    Then you shouldn't worry about the cubemaps. For bumpmaps, there's probably some command that is deactivated (try inserting in console: mat_bumpmap 1) because this is not really normal... If you did fine they SHOULD appear. Make sure shaders are on high. I once could not know why the hell at a certain point my map had constant 30fps on a location (it was on my very first abandoned map) and I spend days searching it out, I'm still afraid to think to all the things I tried, just to know after 6 days or something that it was due to my MSAA being x8 instead of mfcking x4
  5. Jun 18, 2012
    My shaders are on high, everyone I have asked is stumped on this problem. The command is mat_normalmaps 1 which I have done several times in game with sv_cheats 1 and no normal maps are showing. I know it is not a case of my normal maps being too faint because even if they were they would still show up when i type mat_normalmaps 1. I can't understand why I was not having this problem during beta.

And I am still worrying about my cubemaps because I have also got envmapmasks on them. They are working on everyone elses PC but I need to see them for myself to tweak the envmapmasks etc.
  6. Apr 9, 2012
    mat_normalmaps and mat_bumpmaps are different I think

EDIT: To use envmapmask you need specular maps. Do you have these?
  7. Jun 18, 2012
    mat_bumpmaps is not available in CS GO console, even with sv_cheats 1.

I don't know what a specular mask is, but everyone else who has tested my map can see that my envmapMASKS are working fine! So if I haven't included specular maps yet I don't see why I should need to now. :frown:
  8. Apr 9, 2012
    A I completely missed the fact that you use CS:GO

Well a specular mask is a mask existing only of white and black to let hammer see what parts of the texture should be reflected and which not. This is an example of a specular map
    If you don't have these, do not use that command. Simply use envmap and envmaptint. If you use envmapmask without specifying one, I think they will either not show up (for you) or simply reflect every material entirely.
    If speculars do not show up for you, insert mat_specular 1
  9. Jun 18, 2012
    Ok we were using different words for specular map, Yes i have created a specular map for each of my reflective textures and saved them as vtfs. I put it in the vmt using "$envmapmask" "file path". my specular maps are showing up fine on friends' computers.

My bumpmaps are not showing up on anyones computer.
  10. Apr 9, 2012
    Please, copy and paste any of the vmt's that contain a bumpmap of your textures :smile: that would help to clear out if the problem resides there
  11. Jun 18, 2012

"LightmappedGeneric"
    {
    "$basetexture" "MINE/CROFT/test"
    "$bumpmap" "MINE/CROFT/test_normal"
    }
  12. Apr 9, 2012
    ATM I don't see a direct reason as it seems to simply straightforward, however it might be because you don't use "$surfaceprop", like

"LightmappedGeneric"
    {
    "$basetexture" "MINE/CROFT/test"
    "$bumpmap" "MINE/CROFT/test_normal"
    "$surfaceprop" "Rock"
    }

I wouldn't immediatly see that it should be used, but in any case I recommend adding it since without it you will have all the same default sound when walking any material. It's generally adviced to always add that.
  13. Jun 18, 2012
    I have plenty of other textures that DO use $surfaceprop as well as $bumpmap. this has not made a difference.
  14. Apr 9, 2012
    www.mediafire.com

rar one of the textures (with the bumpmap of course) to me. Speculars should perhaps also be included because maybe it's due to them. That should make me be able to solve it
  15. Jun 18, 2012
    http://www.mediafire.com/?1b989s53km9wczu

this is just a test texture and normal map which I have tested and it does not work, just like all the others do not work. I have not included specular maps, as none of my textures have BOTH bumpmaps and reflections, They only have one or the other and it is still not working.
  16. Apr 9, 2012

Give me 10mins to explain it all ok :smile:?
    Post Merged, Sep 14, 2012
    [IMG]
    Explanation coming in 5mins

So first off, you're going to like it because it's solved, but you're not going to like the reason why:

You used the incorrect format compressions. This means you used no alpha format for the normal texture and perhaps also no simple diffuse format for the normal texture.

For the normal map, it should be put into the alpha format. BGR888 is by far the best solution for that. You couldn't perhaps know this so it's not your fault at all. I took a long time reading every single format of it to know what they are useful for, I just give you the best solution I have to offer:

Then also vink normal map (it should be the only vink for a normal map. If you somehow see the 'Eight Bit Alpha' vinked, you did something wrong as then the normal map will not be rendered)
    [IMG]

For a simple diffuse texture, I recommend using twice RGBA8888 as it provides very high quality textures. DXT1 till 5 are good too. Some others are a little different in color or sharpness so I wouldn't recommend using any other than these ones. Do not vink anything else than what would be vinked by default after using these settings:

[IMG]

VERY IMPORTANT: People seem to ignore these by a longshot and I don't understand why, but use mipmaps. Not only do they heavily optimize at a cost that no one can even see, but it uses less memory too. Also, if you don't use mipmaps on a normal map, you will get very strange and ugly effects. This is because no filtering and smoothing is applied, making it render the alpha channel (where the normal map is) at any given distance...

That's about it. I can send you the fixed textures but it could be useful for you to re-make all the textures this way, as it's the only way to repair them :smile:
    There you go :wink:
    BTW I know I used CS:S but it makes no difference as it works the exact same way in GO
    • Like Like x 1
    • Jun 18, 2012
      Thankyou so much :grin: , yes please send me the fixed textures, but.. I don't know if it will work still. I will try it with new textures now. I tried using BGR888 for my normal maps and it didnt make a difference. I will try again. Does the diffuse texture have to be bgr888 as well? i have been using BGRA8888. Ok I will give it mipmaps. Dose the diffuse texture have to have mip maps too for normal map to work? And finally, what is the difference between BGRA8888 and RGBA8888? Thanks!
    • Jun 18, 2012
      AAAAAAAARGH. I did as you said, created a new normal map with BGR888 for both the options, made sure mipmaps was on, made sure eight bit alpha was not ticked. IT STILL DOESNT WORK :crying:!!!!!

Here are my textures now still not working:

http://www.mediafire.com/?4xw5xju4vbz6jz3
      llVeXXll, Sep 14, 2012 Last edited by llVeXXll, Sep 14, 2012
    • Apr 9, 2012
      Hmmmm... If it still didn't work, then I see only 1 possible problem left...
      When you are creating textures via VTFEdit, do you use .TGA as extension for the pictures? I mean when you have a texture, before you turn them into a .vtf, were they .TGA? If so, when you save those .TGA's, save them with RLE OFF. If you save them with RLE on no texture will work for normal maps

I just copy-pasted them into my csgo materials folder without changing anything, and this is the result:

[IMG]
      [IMG]
      The only way I saw that it didn't work was when my shaders were below high (medium and low do not render them) but for all the rest it just works perfectly fine. You HAVE working bumpmaps, but due to some reason it doesn't render...

I'm kinda lost now

EDIT: Make sure you save them with the latest version of VTFedit, as those are textures with 7.5 version (the ones for CS:GO)
    • Jun 18, 2012
      This is so weird, I sent my textures to 2 more people and it worked for them too! But I also sent it to another 3 people, and it is not working for them. It works for some people and not for others. Yes I do use .tga, but I do not know what you mean about RLE? ANd I have 2 more questions also: Does the diffuse texture have to be bgr888 bgr888 or can it be bgra8888? And what is the difference between BGRA8888 and RBGA8888