Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Tutorial Difficulties switcher [For ZE maps]

Discussion in Resources & Tutorials started by SubDelt@, May 19, 2012

1. Feb 12, 2012
    One guy asked me to make a tutorial about how to make difficulties.
    Here it is.

I’m sorry for language mistakes, but I think it’s not a problem.

Mkay, let’s get started.
    It’s really easy to make “difficulties switcher”. We need just 3 types of entities:
    - Func_physbox (or prop_physics)
    - Func_brush
    - Trigger_multiple (or trigger once)
    [IMG]

*On the picture, it's func_physbox, not func_physics. My mistake.

So, what’s the idea. We have 3 triggers. Each of them activates some difficulty/level (for instance left one activates NORMAL difficulty, middle – HARD, and right – EXTREME). To trigger that triggers we need 3 physic objects (one for each trigger, like on picture).
    So, we have difficulties triggers and activators for them. Now we need something to block physics objects (so we can’t turn on, for example, NORMAL and EXTREME in one round). Also we need that difficulties don’t change on next round and changing only when we want it (when humans win). That’s why we need func_brush. It has a very useful property: it doesn’t change it’s state on next round (if it was open in the end of the round, it stays opened in the next round).
    Finally, to switch the difficulty, we opening certain func_brush and closing the others.

When the map starts, brush “1” is opened, “2” and “3” are closed (initially state). Physics object “1” falling through the opened brush “1” and activates trigger “1” (NORMAL). Physics “2” and “3” are blocked by closed brushes “2” and “3”. When humans are winning NORMAL (there were humans in the ending zone, and there were no zombies in it), brush “1” is closing, brush “2” is opening.
    In the next round brush “2” is opened, brushes “1” and “3” are closed. Physics “1” and “3” are getting blocked. Physics “2” activates trigger “2”. Trigger “2” (HARD) is closing/opening some doors, braking some barricades (to make it harder), adding health to boss etc. When humans are winning HARD, brush “2” is closing, brush “3” is opening, and so on…

You can also make just 1 physics object to activate all triggers (like on Predator or Paper).
    Well, that’s all.

If you found out some mistakes or I didn't say about some issues, you know what to do :razz:
    • Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
      SubDelt@, May 19, 2012 Last edited by SubDelt@, Dec 14, 2013
    • Oct 17, 2011
      @SubDelt@ this is really useful but uhhhh the image does not work :razz:
      Edit: umm sorry again but maybe if you can put the outputs for the triggers it would be more helpful and make it with steps. I am retarded in English and I would like to know this more better because I do not understand most of it if you do not mind, thank you.
    • Jan 11, 2012

[IMG]
    • May 14, 2011

#1 - Physics object - This will fall with gravity
      #2 - func_brush - You will disactive it after humans complete Stage 1
      #3 - trigger_multiple - OnStartTouch (go to the logic relay for Stage 2) - Delay 0.5 sec
      #4 - func_brush - you will deactivate this when you finish Stage 2
      #5 - trigger_multiple - OnStartTouch (CancelPending for logic relay for Stage 2 and Trigger Relay for Stage 3 w/delay of 0.3 sec)
      ... You should work out the rest.

As I had a bit of trouble understanding this guide I made a visualisation of what you ment, or what I think you ment.

I hope this helps.

Besides that fact it was difficult to visualise an excellent guide, I didn't know about this before, I assumes it was something to do with Global_entity states.
    • Oct 17, 2011
      Why doesn't it appear?? I can only see a small box with a question mark on it and it does not open.
    • Jan 11, 2012
      Don't know. If you see a "No Pic" Box, right click it, and click open in a new tab
    • Oct 17, 2011
      Sorry but I can't right click on my iPad haha. Curse mouses!!!!
    • May 14, 2011

His image, why cant anyone upload in the pF website?
    • Jun 4, 2006
    • Feb 12, 2012

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
      • May 14, 2011
        I could think of ways to reduce the entities. Hmm i guess it would just involve some experimenting.
      • Feb 12, 2012
        Your way is good too) My way is easier) Your way is better for entities number)
      • May 14, 2011
        What I wrote was pure theory mixed with what I gathered from your tut.
      • Jul 20, 2012
        So I tried by doing and experimenting. Why does each lvl trigger have the others lvl trigger disabled? Also the e-level activates all the other levels breakable.
        Trond, Dec 13, 2013 Last edited by Trond, Dec 14, 2013