Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Tutorial Displacements (Video Tutorial)

Discussion in Resources & Tutorials started by Motanum, Jun 28, 2012

1. Jan 9, 2012
    A tutorial I made to teach people how to do displacements the proper way.

via http://youtu.be/27sHe9nXvR0

Let me know if you've got any questions or tips for future tutorials. I hope this helps some people.
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Mapping King Mapping King x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • May 14, 2011

I personally prefer to use a lot of brushes at power of 3. This makes a much smoother displacment imo.

Thanks for showing that drop down for the axis! Never saw that there, would usually leave my walls and let the noise tool do everything.

At 19:41 I could not believe you were not going to make the edges meet perfectly with the vertex tool. Its one of the things i'm OCD about when using displacements.

For example:

Capture Capture2 Capture3 Capture4

I guess i really am OCD lol

Love the tut btw, don't get me wrong!
      Ghost, Jun 28, 2012 Last edited by Ghost, Jun 28, 2012
    • Jan 9, 2012
      I don't recommend doing that many edges facing. If the faces are in the void, they get "deleted" immediately, so it is kinda useless. It is good in some places where it would reduce the amount of faces from being rendered, like some square frames.

Also, if you are not careful with the edge modifier tool, you can get invalid planes or break brushes.
    • May 14, 2011
      The thing with the vertex tool changing the brushes annoyed me at the start too. The fix is basically don't have skewed brushes.

Map itself works fine and I get high fps. And it just looks really neat. :smile: I can just select all the surfaces in that segment, press sew and it works like a dream. Took me ages to figure out how to avoid invalid brushes with vertices.
    • May 5, 2011
      Thanks! Now i can really do displacements a lot easier now. Never knew about all those axis as well. And about sew too, I just thought I can sew anything lol.

But anyways, great tut and very useful ^^