Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Distance Faded Sprays

Discussion in Tutorials started by Drunk Cat, May 8, 2014

1. Oct 13, 2011
    Alright, today I'm going to show you how to make one distance faded spray. I tried to make it as simple as I can so you guys can do it without any problems. Also, in this tutorial I used photoshop, but you can use Gimp to make yours. I'll update this tutorial with Gimp soon.

What you will need:

Finished spray will look like this,

Lets start

IMPORTANT

You are going to need 2 images and they should be the same size. Your image size must be

512 by 512 pixels
    256 by 256 pixels
    128 by 128 pixels

Image Size

In photoshop, go to Image > Image size to edit your size. Edit your second image also.
    tut0

Click ok, select your image (CTRL+A) and create new channel from channels. Your image will look black, don't worry about it.

tut4

Now there is a new channel, Alpha 1. Click on it, and use Paint Bucket Tool. (White color)

tut5

Now important part. We're done with your 1st image. Go to File > Save as. After that name your file (I named it far.) Save it as .DDS (This is Nvidia plugin .dds extension )

After you save it this screen will pop up

nvidia1

Change DXT1 to DXT5 | interpolated alpha and save.

nvidia2

Alright now, open the dds file you just saved. Go to File > Open > filename.dds and this screen will pop up.

tut13

IMPORTANT

Don't forget to check Load MIP maps. Click Ok.

tut15

Now, your image should look like this. Select the biggest one and use brush or Paint Bucket Tool to erase it. (Use white color) Make sure your RGB channel is selected. (RGB = Red Green Blue, clicking on RGB will select all 4 channels but Alpha 1) Erase everything.

tut16

Once you're done, it should look like this. Now, here comes the tricky part.

tut17

When you click on Alpha 1 your image will look white but its not. Select the biggest white box and erase it with Paint Bucket or Brush tool. It won't make a difference on your screen but you should do this. Also make sure that you erased all selected area.

Alright we're almost done. Open your 2nd image File > Open > 2nd image.

tut18

Select it (CTRL + A) Copy it (CTRL + C ). Then go back to 1st image, click on RGB and paste (CTRL + V) 2nd image.

tut19

Adjust image position. Now click on Alpha 1 and paste again, your image will look black and white.

tut20
    Adjust image position, and use your Brush tool to erase it. It should look white.

tut21

tut22

Now click Layers, Select all layers and merge them (Right click > merge layers or CTRL + E)

tut23

Make sure your new layer is named Background.

IMPORTANT

Save your image as .DDS but this time you have to click on Use Existing MIP maps

nvidia3

Save it. Open Quick & Dirty Bloodlines, Go to Texture Tools > Open File, find your .dds file and from others click Convert DDS to VTF

tut27

Now we have our VTF file yay! Open VTFEdit, go to File > open > yourimage.VTF then go to Tools > Create VMT file > Create.

That's it. Make sure that your VTF and VMT files are in the same folder. Launch css and import your spray. Have fun!

Hi @Carpe
    • Useful x 4
    • Wizard! x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Mapping King x 2
    • Like x 1
      Cat, May 8, 2014 Last edited by Drunk Cat, Nov 23, 2014
    • Jun 11, 2012
      I still have no clue who that pokemon is.
      • Funny Funny x 2
      • Apr 9, 2012
        Note that this only works on high texture settings because the lower settings won't take the highest quality MIP (which is the original texture). Thanks for this tutorial, although I have seen plenty of those already :smile:
      • Jun 4, 2012