Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Don't know why my map crashed on the server. Need help fixing it.

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by Super Mario, Jun 28, 2013

1. Oct 17, 2011
    I put a lot of effort on working on this map and making levels. I am making this thread today because i give up trying to find the issue of what is causing the crash of this zm map. It's not big. It doesn't have that many entities each round and it contains levels. Most entity limit reached was about 400 each round. There are materias outside tthe map that i also made and i really don't know if that's the issue or not.

When i test the map with Josh, it crashed the first second it ran on the pf testing server. The map never crashed with me at all when i tested it by myself in create a server and it was never laggy.
    Here are some possible issues that could be leading to the crash:
    _Something wrong with the couch level system.
    _The command for the zm infection time crashes on a test server.
    _Killing too many entities each time a level changes.
    _The triggers for the level system around the whole map.
    _The hp timer.
    _Areaportal mistake.
    _Killing a wrong output (might be a stupid reason but added to the list)

I am pretty sure it is one of these. I want to ask you guys if i can trust you with posting the .vmf here tomorrow here in pubic to help me find the issue. I started working on this map since last summer and stopped 2 months ago and it took me lots of times to test out the materias and try to make it lots of fun. The map is called zm_desertcity_4levels and it feautures a bonus level which is the 5th.
    If anyone can help me, i would bee glad to post the .vmf once i get back home at night.
  2. Feb 24, 2011
    Are you killing entities on round start and everything? It sounds like it would be a possible case.
    NEVER, ever, lever, dever, ever kill/try to kill an entity twice or an unexisting entity at that. It will with most certainty cause a crash on a server. I think it's more lenient when playing in singleplayer.
    This happened in the early versions of predator, as it took forever to find the cause.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Oct 17, 2011
      Aww that's the problem but i am killing 20 different entities at the beginning of each new round. Could there br any possible solutions to fix? The entity respawns again next round and gets killed once. The map seems to crash at the beginning second of the first round. Also, i made about 30 props with one name that gets killed at the beginning of a new level. Could that be another issue?
    • Feb 24, 2011

As long as you kill something that is existing once you'll be fine. Using the same name for multiple entities is also completely fine.