Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Dying Light

Discussion in Gaming started by ColdZero, Jun 8, 2013

1. Jul 17, 2012

• Like Like x 3
    • Mar 4, 2012
    • Nov 11, 2011
      It's a cinematic trailer, no actual gameplay. You already know how vast of a difference there is between trailers and actual game play. Trailer looks good but I want to see the actual game.
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Mar 12, 2008
        Welcome back... again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again

@ColdZero

As a consumer and fan of the genre, I just see another run-of-the-mill zombie game. it looks exactly like dead island, also LOL electric wrench on demand. IMO the whole zombie genre has been played out too much/watered down thanks to (mostly) CoD and multiple other instances of indie developers (GG, no RE) flooding markets with their "attempts" at a zombie game to appeal to the masses...and they're trying to milk a dead cash cow (no pun). Some games sucked but others were shining stars of how it's supposed to be done. Resident Evil saga did it really well and was a memorable time for anyone that had the pleasure to play it. Most times you felt boxed in, you felt trapped and you had a choice to either use weapons and be safe, or attempt to get close and stab enemies and possibly get killed. Suspense, tension and shock are (in my own opinion) mandatory in a game that contains living dead. You have to feel like any second you can get your shit ripped to pieces if you aren't looking out. Left 4 Dead captured this also. Half life is exempt from this because technically it's aliens assimilating a host body.

Take a look back in the last 4 years and see how many titles alone were released: The List (This is incomplete). I like how the genre used to be niche, and survival horror really made you want to put the controller down and cry in a corner from fear. Nowadays you have casual gamers hopping on the zombie train, and companies like money, so the market gets flooded with repetitive swill that consists of "Throw the water balloon at the zombie and confetti pops out of his ass", to the generic crap of "Shoot your bazooka-banana fork machine gun lawnmower at the zombies to score points". It's time for the regurgitation to stop.

I'm just ranting now, but don't let me stop you. I could be completely wrong and this could be a good game, I've just been so turned off to the whole thing recently I guess i'm just looking for something fresh.

On the other hand, I like the direction The Last of Us is taking, because it's a different spin. The "infected" aren't actually zombies, they're people that are stillalive and have this horrible parasitic fungus growing on their person. If you kill them, you're killing a still living person. Do they want to die? Probably not. Do they have a choice? Of course. They can keep on living like they are. From the gameplay trailers it looks like they flip shit and go crazy. I would too if I looked like that tbh. It adds a surreal feel to the experience, something you just don't find in "zombie games" anymore.
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
          Taters, Jun 8, 2013 Last edited by Taters, Jun 8, 2013
        • Nov 11, 2011
          Suffice it to say, I make bad choices. lol. And I agree, the genre is too watered out. But I won't rule out this game.
        • Jul 17, 2012
          Not really sure, if i'm blinded by the trailer. I just love games with Zombies.

i'll just wait and see what the game brings. :grin:
        • Feb 3, 2012
        • Jul 25, 2012
          If they can do it correctly it should be worth picking up.
        • Apr 9, 2012
          This is just another, anothter, anothter, anothter, anothter, anothter, anothter, anothter, another zombie survival RIP-OFF of so many zombie games, not interested. Frankly this is really becoming boring. I have so many zombie games in my list, and it's all exactly the same. It seems that Developers as well are losing inspiration, and are going the "let's do something gamers already have and earn money from the fanboys" way... Jesus
        • Nov 6, 2011
          i just like the end of the trailer a way out salvation SMACK nope bitch thats my batt and this is now mine
        • Apr 24, 2012
        • Jul 25, 2012
          I can see what you're saying, however with free-running in a Mirror's Edge style it bring a whole new aspect to any type of zombie game. I'm not going to get my hopes too high, after all, these are the guys that made Dead Island. (which was a good game, just not ready for release)
        • Jul 14, 2010
          • Apr 9, 2012
            Wow, those graphics, the movement and the animations look extremely realistic for one fact. I might consider buying this :O