Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Early Production

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by Burnout, Nov 12, 2011

1. Aug 10, 2011
    Let's be honest I'm one of the more crazy mappers out there, most people start with a gungame or deathmatch map. I started with some of the hardest map types to make, Jailbreak.

But that wasn't far enough for me. I'm putting all the chips on the table, I've been thinking about this for awhile, but I want to at least try.

I want to make ze_rave. What is rave?
    An all-night dance party, especially one where techno, house, or other electronically synthesized music is played.

In other words I want to make a map with intense lighting, epic trance/techno/dance/house music and some huge ****en explosions, but not just normal explosions, I want a plethora of colours and lighting, flashes, rainbows, blinding light etc. I want this map to rape people visually. In other words people with epilepsy won't be able to play the map, an example of some of the influences of the map:

Think Nas Shaddaa from Star Wars, think about Las Vegas at night, think neon up the butt. I want you to ride the rainbow. Basically the map will be like one huge discoroom from a jailbreak map, only better.

Anyway I have some more ideas I'd like to ellaborate on, and I'd like to hear some of your ideas, no matter how farfetched they are, this map is about over the top, I want this map to get peoples hearts pumping while providing a challenge to those playing it.
  2. Mar 12, 2008
    As long as there's other rooms, looks pretty cool. if it's one SIGNLE room however chances are it will become very taxing on everyone's eyes.
  3. Aug 10, 2011
    That's one thing I thought about, another thing I considered was making it gradual, it start's with no lighting, and gradually builds up to the climax (the end of the map), or even a ze defense style map with objectives (like Helms_Deep) but I was thinking you collect light/colour or materia like things in a central generator overloading it and it explodes. I was also thinking about if it were a power generator and as you collect the 'neon power cells' (we'll call them that for now) lamposts, signs and other things will be powered up, as well as the floor in the gerator room with transparent glass that works so of like electrical lines leading to these things.

What really pushed me towards making a map visually appealing like this was the ending to Minas Tirith, it was about as epic as it gets.
  4. Aug 10, 2011
    I'm gonna start working on the google sketchup model, I wish you could port sketchup files directly into hammershark editor, instead you have to take an extra step between and change the file type :/
  5. Feb 12, 2011
    Just FYI, zombie escape maps are the very single hardest type of maps to make for CSS. The true number 1. Be sure to expect to work on it for atleast 80+ hrs totals if you want to make it a worthwhile map. As for collecting power, do you mean like hidden triggers and once you collect more the last room will have more light? (Easier to see the zombies, thus easier to hold it?)
  6. Aug 1, 2011
    I feel like based on the information you have given, and the sound of the map, it sounds like the maps going to crash the server. A LOT. But hey, I'm not a mapper, so I would not know. Just sounds pretty sketchy
  7. Feb 12, 2011
    Er.... Do you even know what makes maps crash? lol....
  8. Aug 10, 2011
    That Guy is not mistaken is his concerns, what he is referring to is the ending to minas_tirith which has crashed the server several times do to having too many entities at the ending, these entities include lighting however it is not restricted to lighting, it also included the models from the human/zombie shops, props etc.

My map will have allot of lighting and effects (something like a mashup between minas tirith's ending and the ultima materia but with more colour) however it will not have these other models to add to the entity count. Visual appeal will be before gameplay, but the gameplay will still be balanced and give the humans a reasonable shot at beating the map.
  9. Apr 15, 2010
    Should warn people who are prone to epileptic fits
  10. Aug 10, 2011
    There's a warning at the start of the song, I will include one at the start of the map, I'll have a warmup round where everyone spawns in a box and gets massacred with a warning on all 4 sides, the camera will also display the warning when people are selecting teams after having joined the server, I cannot be held liable if people choose to ignore the warning.
  11. Apr 29, 2011
    Better make sure to have it in multiple languages, not everyone speaks engrish.

Probably include a bit about "play at your own risk." in the warning.

Aside from that
    I can quite possibly see this making a beacon useless, with the flashing lights to blur out its circle, and pounding music to override its sound. This could be remedied through the use of an AFK teleport tho.

Actually, the music may be a bad idea, in some matter maps, its hard to hear each other over the map music, not to mention hearing anyone making a chat infraction. Maybe not make the music as pounding as it would be in a rave.

I think this would be a cool map if it was executed properly. You would have to put extra time in on it to iron out all the issues a graphic intensive rave would cause on some lower end computers.

EDIT: Put some 2 Steps From Hell music in there, and it will become ten times as glorious.
  12. Aug 10, 2011
    Production on the Sketchup Model is coming along, started with he generator room since the rest of it will be built around it so that it matches the music. I'm thinking about having a different song playing during each objective, slowly growing in intensity, I still want you to be able to hear each other and give orders to the people that don't know how to play the map. As well as the ending song and one for the spawn/advance to the generator building.

On that note I think I found my song for the ending, still looking for other music (trance,techno,house,dance) ((has to be epic)) taking suggestions. This is not permanent just a consideration.

go to 4:50 in the video.
  13. Aug 10, 2011
    I've decided to go a different route on ze_rave, I'm not going to find a song that fits my ending, I haven't found that electric/epic sound I've been looking for... so I'm going to make it myself, more work to do I know but I've got nothing better to do, sketchup model will be delayed, I have projects for architectural design class I'm behind on, those have priority over the map model :smile:
  14. Feb 18, 2011
    Strip the vocals from this song and tell me what you think of it :shock: Hopefully it will be what you are looking for. Its a bit weird but you know how weird raves can get..
  15. Aug 10, 2011
    Not enough major Chords, I'm looking for epic/dream trance crossover, dream trance is all about the major chords and I want the ending to be intense.
  16. Apr 14, 2011
    Hey if you need help compressing the mp3's or .wav files I can help ya. If you need help with custom scripts for anything let me know and ill lend ya a hand. I have been working w/ hammer since css came out.
  17. Feb 12, 2011
    Are you looking for something like this?

18. Feb 24, 2011
    You might wanna watch out giving normal light entities names, or start with them disabled in flags. Just by adding a name the light will count as an entity which it wouldn't otherwise, and that also means the map will compile multiple layers of lightmaps to the affected areas. Predator as an example had a rough time with crashes, and ever since i deleted the lights with names it got better. So i'm suspecting that they are pretty unstable. However, light_dynamic can serve your purpose more easily but beware, it drains alot of fps.

Short story: avoid to name your light entities

You could also check out sprites, particle effects, teslas and lasers. They could give some neat effects if used properly.
  19. Aug 12, 2011
    The idea sort of reminds me of this map:

Sounds good, definitely an ambitious first map.
  20. Aug 10, 2011
    thanks :smile: (and it's 2nd map I've already started ba_jail_blackmesa)