Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Edgers: Plaguing Plaguefest

Discussion in CS:S Zombie Escape started by raiNN, Aug 11, 2012

1. Aug 10, 2011
    I took about a year off from playing on the PF ZE server. I've come back and still have a lot of fun but have found a dramatic increase in "edgers." An edger is a human that blocks other humans view of the zombies by getting very close/sitting on spots (for example, boxes) that separate the incoming hoard of zombies from the humans. The problem with edgers is that the majority of the time they get stabbed by a zombie then turn around and have easy access to infecting the whole human team. I realize some edgers are beginners that don't know better but there are many edgers that repeatedly do it even with repeated players saying the ever-so-common phrase, "GET OFF THE BOXES." More importantly, there are edgers that intentionally edge so they can turn into a zombie and stab the rest of the humans.

Edging is part of the game but I'd like to see a more active role in admins in helping to crack down on edgers. I'd like to facilitate a discussion on edging and what can be done about it. I'm not an admin but my suggestion would be to warn them first. If they do it again they are kicked/banned from the server for the duration of the map (or possibly the next map change also). Finally, if they do it again they are banned for a week or more. I don't post on these forums often but this has become a big problem and is annoying many loyal Plaguefest players.

If we take action on repeated edgers it will allow for all of us to better enjoy our stay on the Plaguefest zombie escape server. Getting rid of edgers can help Plaguefest win more zombie escape maps. Furthermore, eliminating edgers can allow more mature members to join our community when they see how edging isn't as rampant anymore on Plaguefest. Finally, I realize we can't completely stop edging as a whole but getting rid of repeat edgers will better the Plaguefest community. A rule can be added to the server rules (if there isn't a server rule on it already) so admins can follow through with warning/kicking/banning.

-raiN
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Nov 11, 2011
      It can be considered grieving but it's hard to prove intention without watching the player for several rounds. The process would be painstakingly slow. I understand it's really frustrating because I've rarely seen a group of humans survive after an edger gets infected. I'd like other admins opinions on this subject as well.
    • Jan 12, 2012
      It's already a rule that's just not on the !rules list like many others . Admins should be warning and such but what can you do ZE "rolls eyes" .Ps You're alive rain?
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • May 27, 2008
        It sounds like it'd be more trouble than it's worth. You can't accurately set aside players who could be new to this server, and players who are not new and do it purposefully. Just don't be near them if they turn is all I can say for now. I should also add if you can get a demo of someone edging intentionally, that's considered griefing as stated above by sajak and is definitely against the rules.

Thanks.
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Jul 30, 2012
          I take it you just played portal with us not too long ago lol.. I warned them but there were just so many people edging and I prob should have kicked a person or SIX!!! for duration of the map but like sajak said you have to watch a person for a few rounds to see if the same person. I love portal and I always try to play it but its an admin nightmare. Players seem to get worse as the map goes on and really start to troll to try and get map change. There is no reason we should ever lose in the first fucking room with 6 zombies.
          Dr.FeelGood, Aug 11, 2012 Last edited by Dr.FeelGood, Aug 11, 2012
        • Aug 10, 2011
          Stormblizzard - I can't believe you removed me from friends. Re-add me. Also, I've been playing quite a lot lately. The real question is where have you been?

Dr. FeelGood - Yes, I was playing with you on Portal (talk about a headache). That was actually the map that made me want to post on here. There were consistently the same people edging (the whole server knew who they were) but nothing was done about it.

What I'm trying to say is that more action should be done for repeat/known edgers and edgers that do it intentionally. I understand there will be edgers no matter what but there are consistently the same people edging and it ruins the fun for others. It shouldn't be too much hassle for an admin online to do something about an edger every once in a while. I'm not asking for every person who edges to be kicked/banned because I realize it can be a grey area who is in the right/wrong.

I'm not here to whine/complain. I'm here because I believe if this issue is looked at more it will significantly improve the quality of play on the zombie escape server.
        • Jul 16, 2012
          ive watched ZE for a couple days. and have seen many points where the score goes 0-* and the humans fail in the very first room do too this same thing. i am new to ZE and do not know how to look at it as so i have to go with what every other admin says. after about 3-4 rounds of the same thing occurring. (3-5 players standing on the edge getting stabbed and killing everyone else.) i just use admin chat ---> "please dont stand on the edge" theres alot of people to look at and not alot of admins.
        • Jul 30, 2012
          I agree maybe we can have more strict rules as far as portal goes with the boxes. I mean there really is no reason to be on the boxes and with your entire team yelling at the edgers over mic and in chat they should get the point.
          Post Merged, Aug 11, 2012
          as I have posted before lol

[IMG]
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Aug 10, 2011
            ^ Perfect example of typical edgers. I bet there was a massive zombie train seconds after that screenshot was taken.
          • Jul 16, 2012
            i would love to know what admins can do about this. i dont want to make any mistakes and kick someone i shouldnt.
          • Apr 1, 2012
            we've been through this, it's hard to punish players because the line between accidental and intentional is very thin.

me and a couple of fellow admins (where the hell is Druber now) had been hunting some "famous" edgers but it's just that we can't really get them without solid proofs because they are so good at blurring the line between intentional and accidental..
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Apr 9, 2012
              Today AEON edged intentionally and was put explicitly in the spectators room by admins... I can't believe the guy didn't got banend for about a day at least. We're talking intentional edgeguarding here. On the reverse side, it was pretty clear he did it intentionally, but it's indeed not always clear. I wished admins got permission to ban a player edging (because it happens frequently that the same persons edges multiple times...) for only the time that specific map will last. He can reconnect at the nextmap if you'd like that...

I know of course this impossible but it would help a lot. I didn't play for weeks ze (I'm heavily working on my map to finish it) but the more I occasionally come, the more it wants me to get away from Pf ze
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Apr 4, 2009
                If you guys can name the people doing it intentionally send a message to the admins online to watch for it. If they are just morons standing on a box shoot them off when they get stabbed.
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Aug 10, 2011
                  I realize figuring out who to kick/ban for edging can be unclear. I'm suggesting that obvious, clear, intentional or even repeat unintentional edgers should have negative consequences placed upon them. There are many edgers out there that aren't too hard to keep track of that get away with it too often.
                • Jun 18, 2012
                  I've been feeling the same lately and ussually just do w/e else I can do cause it's really getting a problem.

As said above by verious admins it's hard to see the line between intentional/unintentional. But I also feel like sometimes admins aren't trying hard enough to do something about edgers. I am on the server plenty of times and there are moments where admins just do nothing about it even when people (like for example Joris) have been saying 1 specific person is doing it on intention all the time (btw admins don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you guys aren't doing anything).

And yes with the begginning ZE players it's ussually easy to just shoot them off since they don't know what's happening aswell, so our focus should be on the griefers. Maybe it's an idea to make some kind of thread to report edgers/griefers in general and once a name starts to show up time after time, admins will notice the name in game and pay extra attention to the person (with screens if possible)?

I myself have seen a lot of griefing and for example about 95% of the zes clan plays to grief, I've never understood why no one ever banned them though (also on other servers) cause they do it pretty obvious. Anyway I suppose it also depends on how much time a person plays on a ZE server. I myself for example bet I sometimes fall for a noob mistake and people might consider this griefing while I play 10x (no I don't that much) more then them. In which it's only normal it happens more often to me than them.
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • May 27, 2008
                    Read:
                    If you can provide a demo and a SteamID, something will be done. I don't know how you're still dragging this on.
                  • Jun 18, 2012
                    Clearly this doesn't help enough since regs. are complaining about it. We are trying to figure something different out. I myself have tried demo's but they don't let them play for me (bet it's my fault). And besides that, I don't think it's either mine, Rains or Joris our task to demo players all the time. Since you guys probably won't ban them the first time (since it's a first time or something like that, in which I see sense), and again, it's not our task to literally monitor dozens of edgers. (Sorry if I sound like an ass.)
                  • May 27, 2008
                    If you cannot help us, we cannot help you.
                  • May 15, 2011
                    It is our jobs as administrators to watch the server, however, we are not always available to do so nor on at the right time. We do our best but we do need the members to help us sometimes. If we are not in game but we are online, try messaging us. Most of the time we will be willing to come and solve the problem right away. If no admin is online, then we need you to take a screenshot(s) or a demo of the player who is breaking the rules.

I agree it's not your job, since you have not taken on the responsibility of being admin, you do not actually have to do anything, but we must ask you to help us, since we can't always be there.
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • Jun 18, 2012
                      I'd like to help, but there are griefers on all the time. This would mean that people making demo's would be running arround trying to get griefers all the time while they just want to have their hour of fun, while sometimes admins could easily do this aswell, plus they have way more ''power'' to warn the server/ remove the griefer. Once more, not saying admins aren't doing anything, just saying that sometimes, especially with edgewarriors, they could do more. Besides they aswell admitted, while playing it's pretty darn hard to legitly acuse someone from edging.
                      Post Merged, Aug 11, 2012
                      I'll be making your life a hell by spamming screens of all these griefers >: O

Yes, I completely agree with this, but we know there are griefers which just play to grief, and as said before do it in such a way it is hard to tell. Maybe we can figure out a way of keeping admins updated on these people so when the admins get on they know they have to keep an extra eye out? Also most regular griefers know names of admins and stop when they join the server, maybe admins should change names for a second just to see what's going on when alerted by people . (Just brainstorming.)
                      • Like Like x 1