Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

edicts and server stores...

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by nyronic, Apr 29, 2013

1. May 17, 2011

My maps run fine w/o this shit, but servers owners that know nothing about mapping/entities like to throw on as much stuff as they can. Then when maps crash they blame the map.

There was a server that complained glacier was broken when I first released it, after further investigation I found out the trail plugin they were using was actually changing the targetname of players. Which glacier used for filtering who finished and in what place. When I told them this they told me it was my problem and to fix the map.

Galaxy will randomly crash on servers and I'm not 100% sure why, but it has a high starting edict count(around 1500~). Anywhere from 500-1000~ of this will be deleted once a game is picked. I'm sure I could of made things more efficient if I were to do it nowadays.

Now I'm getting reports of servers crashing on metropolis, which also has a high starting edict count(around 1500~ as well). It will run fine on the first round, then when the 2nd round comes(which is when most people have connected and joined a team) It will crash when everyone spawns and 75% of the server has hats and trails.

I get the appeal of hats and trails, in the sense that people are attracted to stupid shit. But that's just my opinion. It's just frustrating that servers crash because they want to add all that unnecessary shit.

MAD
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Jul 4, 2011
      Reminds me of Enviolinadors Christmas Infection (ZE). This one server had flashbangs modded to light up areas when thrown, they spammed them at spawn and lit up huge displacements causing massive FPS drops then blamed the map for "not having a skybox". Oh well.

I'm also having a similar problem with my most recent bhop map where the boosters I use won't work 100% of the times on easy/autohop modded servers. They do work perfectly fine on regular ones though and I have no idea why.
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Children are usually attracted to shiny things and flashing lights, nothing we can do to help it. Best we can do is ignore it, and let the little children run around with their pretty little trails and abundance of stupid hats.

[IMG]
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Apr 28, 2013
      • May 17, 2011
        Yeah, sorry for the rant guys. Glad others feel the same way at least.
        • Agree Agree x 2
        • Feb 24, 2011
          No worries, i have pretty much the same view of it.

Mappers unite! Let's rebel against the oppressing oppression of edict-eating bullscheisse!

mappersunite
          • Like Like x 2
          • Dec 6, 2011
            You should make your secret project play on pF only =P Purposely have it cause extreme errors and conflicts with the dumbass trails and hats on the childish servers XD

They'll freak out like little kiddies.
            • Funny Funny x 1