Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Elevation Training Mask v2.0: Why you should get this perfect piece of equipment

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Brett, Feb 14, 2013

1. Dec 6, 2011
    This is probably the greatest piece of workout equipment to date. When I was told about this from a friend at the gym, I decided to do some research.

What is the Elevation Training Mask?
    It's a small mask that covers the mouth and the nose and basically simulates a higher elevation while using resistance training. It's made of easily washable materials, and is very high quality in my opinion.

What is elevation training and what's so good about it?
    Simply put, the higher the elevation, the harder it is to breathe. This mask enables you to simulate a wide variety of elevations: (in feet) 3k, 6k, 9k, 12k, 15k, and 18k (being the hardest). What's good about this is, since it's harder to breathe with (in a sense), your lungs work harder, working for more oxygen and therefore pushing your lungs to their full potential. Many athletes go to higher altitudes to train for this experience. As a side note, when I say "harder to breathe", I don't mean as if you're gasping for air in space, but it's a unique experience that makes your lungs work while you feel normal, but just focused on breathing a little more.

What's it feel like? Will I be claustrophobic? What was your first experience?
    It's difficult to precisely describe the experience, since it obviously differs for everybody. After about 5 months of inactivity from sickness/ankle injuries, I've reached near 200lbs at about 5'9. Quite a large amount of it is muscle, but I can sure say I lost my chiseled abs, and now I have a little bit of extra baggage. I also have sports induced asthma. So how was my first time? I will admit, the first couple breaths I wanted to tear it off of my face. There's that feeling of "not enough oxygen", although it's just your lungs being resisted against for the first time, you will get used to it. I sat down at my computer for about an hour with it set to 6,000 ft, and focused on keeping my breathing normal without tearing it off of my face. Once I started to get used to it (you will know, you won't have any worry of danger/not breathing enough), I ran 1 mile in my normal 6-7min-time, and strangely enough, I DIDN'T FEEL FATIGUED! After a quick 2-3min break, I went back and ran ANOTHER 2 MILES at the same pace as the first run. I haven't been able to do this in over a year. I actually headed to the gym after with the Training Mask and did my full blown workout and then some. I was so surprised at how little I had to worry about running out of breath, or gasping for air. With the Training Mask, your breathing is so perfect and so focused, you get every inch out of your workout. Even for me there were no asthma problems after (I usually have a persistent cough for ~1hour after cardio exercises due to asthma).

What are the benefits of the Elevation Training Mask?
    Where do I start? It's amazing Diaphragm Resistance Technology has loads of benefits:
    •Increased lung capacity
    •Increased anaerobic thresholds
    •Increased oxygen efficiency
    •Increased energy Production
    •Increased Mental and physical stamina increase
    •Increased Mental Focus gets better

It forces you to work for your air. No more lazy breathing, you're going to give your lungs the attention they need. You don't even need to be some fit person to begin using this. Anybody with asthma should really give this a shot too, you'll feel exhilarated. Just 2 puffs of your regular inhaler (the emergency one) at least one minute apart, and off you go. You'll feel like Lance Armstrong on doping drugs.

What if I don't want to look like a douchebag?
    Fuck off. This shit makes you look like Bane times 10 and you know it you hipster (they even have a Bane skin + loads of others, even a Canadian one for you Canadia peeps). Or for those of you who like to pretend you look and sound like Darth Vader, this is your chance.

How much does it cost?
    It's $79.99, with a bunch of other accessories to purchase along with it such as skins that are $19.99, and black resistance caps that are $14.99.

If this still isn't enough to convince you, try checking out their website: http://trainingmask.com/pages/About.html . It has a load of information if you still are unsure.

Also, here's a great article about the mask and how it increases body O2 count: http://www.normalbreathing.com/d/training-mask.php

• Like Like x 1
      Brett, Feb 14, 2013 Last edited by Brett, Feb 14, 2013
    • Feb 18, 2011
      I don't need this shit I already live in the Mile High City.
    • Dec 6, 2011
      You can still improve your breathing even more then by using this.

This resistance training will further improve your amount of O2 as well. Just living there is one thing, but training in this is a completely different approach.
    • Aug 18, 2006
      Your body is accustomed to having less dense air, though.
    • Dec 6, 2011
      I'm doing about 25% higher weights on my routine just due to the more focused breathing from the mask now. Yesterday I did a full 4 sets of 12 of 185 instead of 165.

......("insert douchebag guido yolo saying here")
    • Oct 29, 2010
      I lived in 4500 ft elevation (and jogged in 7000 ft elevation) for ten years.

Exercising at ocean level (where I live now) is such a breeze. . .
      meeko, Feb 17, 2013 Last edited by meeko, Feb 17, 2013
    • Dec 6, 2011
      It's also the diaphragm resistance that's another important part in this. You focus a lot more on your breathing, thus resulting in a better workout or run.
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Fornax
        This message by Fornax has been removed from public view. Deleted by PeNguiN, Feb 17, 2013, Reason: Stay on topic, don't spam..
        Feb 17, 2013
      • Benderius
        This message by Benderius has been removed from public view. Deleted by PeNguiN, Feb 17, 2013, Reason: Stay on topic, don't spam..
        Feb 17, 2013
      • May 14, 2011

The point of breathing at high altitudes is for you body to produce more red blood cells in you blood so you can transport oxygen around your body easier. This can only come into effect after a few days. Not a few hours.

I guess all this will do is make you respire anaerobically while exercising.
      • Dec 6, 2011
        Pretty sure you're not a poorly thought of animer character with eyes half the size of his head that says everything he thinks out loud.
        Post Merged, Feb 17, 2013
        It's not a placebo affect... didn't you read the links? Did you read anything?
      • Jun 18, 2012
        Viewing numbers, I also need to make a living.

Idk ... Seems to me it just suffocates you to whatever degree you like.

There's only so much you know about me Brett, only so much ...
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Feb 4, 2011
          Doesn't that seem unsanitary for something that can easily atomize stuff that your breating in? Can you bleach it after every workout or something? It looks like its 2 to 3x the price of a 3M half mask with a larger head strap.
          3M half mask 10 to 20 bucks. Cartridges 5 to 30 bucks.
          Go to the gym with this on and I bet all the equipment will be free to use shortly.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dbjBKNsx2Dw
          Or go full on SCBA
          epi1to10000, Feb 17, 2013 Last edited by epi1to10000, Feb 17, 2013
        • Benderius
          This message by Benderius has been removed from public view. Deleted by PeNguiN, Feb 17, 2013, Reason: Stay on topic, don't spam..
          Feb 17, 2013
        • Apr 1, 2012
          can I wear this while doing mundane activities like pruning?

I'm the lazy dude, cbf going to the gym that is 22 min walk away from my new "home"
        • Fornax
          This message by Fornax has been removed from public view. Deleted by PeNguiN, Feb 17, 2013, Reason: Stay on topic, don't spam..
          Feb 17, 2013
        • May 12, 2012
          Just Breath From A Dam Straw Man. (Simple As That)

[IMG]
        • Dec 6, 2011
          So on July 1st, they're selling TWO Training Masks + 2 drawstring bags + 2 lanyards for only $99.99. Though, it's only a limited time, and once this sale opens on July 1st, they'll run out of stock quick. I'm going to pick up one or two deals just to sell them to guys at my gym. Might even make $10 off each one and still give them a great deal.