Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Tutorial EntSpy - Adding Spawns to a Map

Discussion in Resources & Tutorials started by Tony the Tiger!! :D, Nov 1, 2014

1. Feb 27, 2012
    First off, let's open up our map so we can check how many spawns exist. I will be using a self created example map for this. Once you have loaded the map, type report_entities in your console. You will see a list of different entities come up in your console, the ones we're looking for are info_player_terrorist and info_player_counterterrorist. As you can see, i only have two spawns. We are going to create two more spawns, one for each team.

If you want to see where the spawns are exactly, you can type map_showspawnpoints in console as well. You will be shown with green (and 1 red) boxes. You can't make them disappear without loading a new map.

Take note of the number of spawns, then close your game, as we won't need to go back in there for a while.

Grab the map you want to edit, copy it to a folder (i use a folder inside my EntSpy folder). If you want, you can make a backup somewhere else. Entspy doesn't auto-save, so if you fuck up, you have to start all over again. You also can't keep saving, because even if we "preserve the checksum", it can still break.

Open up EntSpy and open your BSP. Leave this running, we'll come back to it later.

Next, open up BSP Source with bspsrc.bat. Click the Add button, find your map, and click Open. Click decompile and save it somewhere. Now you'll see you have a vmf that we can open in hammer. Next step is to open hammer from
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Counter-Strike Source\bin
    If hammer.exe doesn't open, try hammer.bat, then hammer.exe

Go to File>Open, and navigate to your decompiled VMF. Change your 3D view to 3D Textured by clicking the Top Left of the view where it says "camera". Navigating the 3D view is pretty simple. Pressing Z will lock you into "fly" mode. Use WASD to move around and mouse to look. Increase/Decrease grid size with [ and ] (i recommend using 2 or 4 for editing spawns, what it is set to can be seen at the bottom right of the screen) Find where the spawns are located (they look just like a regular CT and T model)

Click on one of the player spawns in the 3D view. Then on your Top-Down view (top right quadrant) hold Shift, Click, and Drag to where you want it, then release. Make sure that they are outside of the bounding box of the other.

If your spawns are inside each other's bounding boxes, there is a good chance they will become bad player spawns, and be unusable (you'll see errors relating to invalid players spawns, and the engine will remove them) At the bottom right of your screen, take note of the @(0 0 0) values, we will need these in a minute. Ignore the last value, it is always wrong. If you want it to show the right value for the last one, click on one of the spawns and drag it a little. In my case, the real value is 5. Most of the time you won't need to adjust the height of player spawns.

After you've copied a spawn somewhere, go to EntSpy. Look for any player spawn, select and click Copy. It will automatically select the copied one. Now, from those values we noted in hammer, Double Click on the Origin numbers and put those in. So, mine will look like this. We don't need to change any values other than these.

Do the same thing over and over again until you have as many spawns as you need. MG needs at least 50 (25/25), and ZE/ZM needs at least 64 (32/32 preferred, more T spawns are nice, though. You can exceed 64 total spawns) I will only be adding 2 more spawns for a total of 4.

Once you finish making all of your spawns, click File>Save BSP. You will be greeted with this window.
    Choose the Store at End option (you MUST do this, otherwise players will receive a Map Differs from Server error) It will make the map slightly larger (sorry, Kyle) but is the only way to preserve the map. Save the map somewhere. Then copy it to your C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Counter-Strike Source\cstrike\maps folder. Overwrite the current one (i hope you made a backup, just in case)

Load up your map in CS:S, and entities_report in console, you should now presented with more spawn points.

Last thing to do is verify your edit worked with a friend who has an original copy of the map downloaded. If they can connect to you, then you're golden. If they receive some kind of disconnect error, you probably messed something up. Post the error here (or ask me on steam) and i'll see if i can help you figure out where you went wrong.

It's pretty easy once you do it a couple of times. It takes a bit of time as well. It's a lot of back and forth between Hammer and EntSpy.
    • Mapping King Mapping King x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
      Tony The Tiger, Nov 1, 2014 Last edited by Tony The Tiger, May 13, 2015
    • Dec 30, 2006

But tanks.
      • Informative Informative x 1