Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Extended Battery Discussion

Discussion in Android started by Zenzr, Oct 29, 2013

1. Jul 8, 2012
    Has anyone had any experience with extended batteries?

I just bought the ZeroLemon 7500 mAh batter for my S4, I had it earlier this summer but I think I messed up the battery, or it was just defective so i returned it.

My question is they recommend that you charge it for at least 12 hours prior to the first use, is that really needed or can I just charge it to full plus a bit to make sure it's full?

Any other discussion is cool too if you want to chime in.
  2. Apr 9, 2007
    You still need to do the initial charge. Some factories do it for people now otherwise they get bad press due to 'defunct' batteries.

Honestly I'd be worried about them exploding, especially if you acquire them through a reseller.
  3. Jul 8, 2012
    I've never heard of the ZeroLemon batteries being defunct, so long as they're properly maintained. Maybe my own ignorance is to blame for that lol.

I know it's good to deplete it about once a month to keep it calibrated, but other than that to charge it partially versus a full charge cycle.
  4. Dec 6, 2011
    Charge it for 24hours, then do about 5-10 full recharges after that to be sure to get the most out of it. Just run it on full brightness, and run a shitload of things at once to wear it down fast.
  5. May 27, 2008
    I have a Mophie case for my S3, I love the damn thing. It adds an overall bulk to my phone (not that I care in the slightest, it feels more comfortable this way) and it has a switch on the back to toggle the extended battery on and off. You can leave it on your phone and when it's charged, it'll charge both your phone and the battery. If you want it to go through the battery first, keep the switch in the green. It'll drain the case first, and when that's said and done your phone's battery is next. It is expensive, however I've had no issues with mine. My own opinion tells me it was very much worth it.

So if you have some cash to spare, consider it.
  6. Jul 8, 2012
    A full 24 hours?

E: I've seen a few cases like that for some phones, though I've never actually talked to someone that had one that I knew. So it seems like you approve of it, I might consider it.

I'm curious because the guys on my cellphone forum say that I should be okay in depleting it completely and charging it completely. I know for cell batteries it's actually worse to let it fully die I believe.
    Zenzr, Oct 29, 2013 Last edited by Zenzr, Oct 29, 2013
  7. Dec 6, 2011
    The S4 extended batteries don't work like that now, or at least for the ZeroLemon. It's just a single, full, giant-ass battery on the back.
    Post Merged, Oct 29, 2013
    You actually want it to fully die (or mostly) the first couple of times. The first initial charge needs to be something like 16-24hrs, it'll tell you on the info sheet they give you. I went for 24 hours just to be safe.
  8. Jul 8, 2012
    Yeah I knew that, the first few times need to be a full cycle. But after that I think it's okay to just do partial cycles. Would it make a difference if I just killed it from the initial charge it ships with and then charge it, or charge it right away?
  9. Dec 6, 2011
    I'd charge it right away, that's what it usually asks for. I'm no cell phone battery aficionado enthusiast expert, but I wouldn't try to go different from the instructions.
  10. Jul 8, 2012
    Decided I'm going to charge it first before use. We'll see how it goes.
  11. Aug 2, 2010
    I normally drain my battery first before I charge the thing for 12+ hours the first time. Then just the normal maintenance. I don't have much experience with extended batteries though. I go 2 days before I need to charge my phone on the stock Note 2 battery.
  12. Jul 8, 2012
    I just got done with charging it to 100%, time to discharge/test battery.