Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

feed back on zm test map

Discussion in Work in Progress (WIP) started by Chris Jenkins, Mar 5, 2013

1. Jan 14, 2013
    Hey guys I been messing around in hammer a few days can you take a look at this map and see if Im doing anything obviously wrong and tell me before I continue. I want to start doing it correct in the beginning rather than having to fix how I do stuff down the line. Thanks

I realize I have some problems when i did the look for problems in the menu but I know how to fix those. Thanks again

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/399026/zm-testmap1-vmf.html

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Mapping King Mapping King x 1
    • Jan 13, 2013

First: The windows act in a wierd way, make sure you aren't overlapping materials/walls
      [IMG]

Second: Make the buttons not move. (Go into to settings of the button and tick Don't Move)
      [IMG]

Third: A couple of your spawnpoints are either in the ground or in an object. Make sure they are not touching anything but air.
      [IMG]

Fourth: Don't nodraw your windows, they need to look like windows from both sides or it isn't a window =3
      [IMG]

Also, a tip to making that bridge look better.

via http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ouIKw_mcrM

It will look much better overall that way. Other than that, looks good!
      • Informative Informative x 2
        Who_er, Mar 5, 2013 Last edited by Who_er, Mar 5, 2013
      • Jan 14, 2013

Im not sure whats going on with the decals (windows on building) ill have to find a tutorial on how to operate those.

EDIT. Can anyone point me towards a tutorial on timers? things Im wanting to do is like destroy a func_buyzone after 30 seconds after the round starts. / Have buttons not active until after all players on on ct (to prevent terrorists humans at the beginning from hitting them , etc.
      • Apr 9, 2012
        The overlapping happens because both textures (The window and the Fence texture) are translucent. They will blend into each other and overlap depending on the POV. I suggest using either a model as a fence, or using $alphatest instead of $translucent. More info can be found here: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/$alphatest#.24alphatest

Good luck on the map!
        • Mapping King Mapping King x 1
        • Jan 14, 2013
          Oh thanks I had no idea it would do that!

Another quick question, how do you trigger a round end like on a ze map?
        • Apr 9, 2012
          Have one gicantic trigger_hurt covering your entire map (keep everything (inclusif the origin point) within your skybox wals) and activate at the end whenever you feel humans have won, add 50000 generic hurt.
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Jan 14, 2013
            So if everyone gets 50000 dmg hurt the CTS win?

Thanks
            • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
            • Apr 9, 2012
              Well, the area where the humans end should NOT have that trigger_hurt, so that the humans that are at the endroom/endarea/final place do not die.
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • Jan 14, 2013
              • Nov 11, 2011
                I tried to test it out but every time your map loads, my game crashes. :struggle:
                Post Merged, Mar 7, 2013
                I looked at the VMF, you seem like a really good beginning mapper. Don't quit mapping even though it will become frustrating :wink: Just make sure you pay attention to details, it's the little things that make maps come alive. For example, instead of this:

[IMG]

Click on all your brushes, then check "Treat as one" and click "Fit." Then change the "Rotation" to 90.

[IMG]
                Post Merged, Mar 7, 2013
                Also, I think you have your windows confused. You can make two types of windows, one that breaks into small pieces (func_breakable_surf) where ALL the sides are nodraw and only one side has the window texture. The next one is simply one that breaks completely after you shoot it (func_breakable). Here is a screenshot:

[IMG]

And I've attached the map and vmf so you can see how they look and work.

EDIT: I have no fucking idea why I named the map ZM_WINDOWS... but whatever.

Attached Files:

• Jan 14, 2013
                  Great information thanks! I was definitely confused because one tutorial said only use 1 window texture and the other said use both sides, thanks for clearing that up about the surf vs non surf differences!
                • Jan 13, 2013
                  Also, a tip on your windows. I would use a func_breakable, as it is not nodraw (ed) on all sides. Since i assume you will be able to view from both sides, it would look much neater.

In terms of timers here are some images to what you can do.

Hope this helps!
                  • Jan 14, 2013
                    Awesome tips! I really like the logic_auto since it is an easy way to start counting once the map begins!