Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Suggestion File Extension

Discussion in Website Feedback & Bugs started by sajak, Mar 7, 2013

1. Nov 11, 2011
    Brian, can you please include .vmf and .vmx as allowed file extensions to the website? As of now, we can't upload map files directly to the site. Thanks. :thumbsup:
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Feb 24, 2011
      I agree on this, but i'd also recommend to zip your files in cases where the filesize of the .vmf's begin to go over a few MB's.
      It's not the biggest deal, but for us poor souls with a slowpoke-connection it would surely be alot more comforting. :chic:
    • Nov 11, 2011
      Unfortunately, us amateur mappers don't make 40MB vmf files :razz: lol But yeah, I do compress everything but for small files (less than 1MB), it's easier simply to directly upload them.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Apr 9, 2007

Those are the only 'good' ones.
      • Nov 11, 2011
      • May 14, 2011

You could do this; This file I just uploaded, I changed the extension to vmf.zip ; just remove the .zip part and you got yourself a vmf.

I dont see the issue. :S
      • Nov 11, 2011
        Why come up with useless ideas that everyone already knows? It's a site suggestion for a reason. It's because a couple of us mappers would like to be able to upload vmf's without having to rename or compress files. And a vmx is a backup for your vmf, in certain cases, they come in useful. What are you getting at?
      • Apr 9, 2007
        Guys, please don't upload uncompressed files to the forums... You're only wasting disk space.
        • Zing! Zing! x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Good Idea Good Idea x 1
        • May 14, 2011
          A vmx is a vmf in all but name... You would have to re-name it at some point for it to become usable anyway.

Anyway Kyle's word seems to be final.
        • Mar 12, 2008
          I remember that brian mentioned this once.
        • Nov 11, 2011
          Some of the pictures that are posted on the forums are larger than the files we're trying to upload. :wilt:
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Mar 12, 2008
            Most are linked via steam or imgur, not a direct upload. If something is uploaded via this site it's using plaguefest's resources, not someone else's. I'm sure the site would go down if everyone simply uploaded a video instead of embedding from youtube. Uncompressed files would stop spam shit faggot the everything eventually if everyone would do that.

Can't you .rar it or bzip it like kyle suggested? I doubt that would take up much space. You could also host it via jumpshare (thanks @Brian for showing me this site, you're the best! :heart: laaahve u) and paste a link too.
          • Nov 11, 2011
            This is stating the obvious. Do you even understand how small most vmf/vmx files are? There is no need to compress them.
          • Apr 9, 2007
            Are they all so small? If its anything more then 200KB, you can definitely compress it. If you don't, you're only a fool, unfortunately. That is, if were only going to insult each other.
          • Nov 11, 2011
          • May 14, 2011
            Kyle is right, compressing a map does make a big difference.

Capture3
          • Mar 12, 2008
            I don't see the point of leaving something uncompressed if you plan to distribute it to others.

It's not like anyone doesn't have winrar or something