Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Finally started the GT40 build...

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by doc watson, May 12, 2020

1. Jul 13, 2008
    • Apr 24, 2012
    • Jun 17, 2014
      About time! I've been waiting on this build for years now man.

Catch up!

94023939_1140262162983858_4203811876477337600_n
      This was when I dropped the 507hp 383ci Stroker LT1 into my C1500.
      • Like Like x 2
        Bapple™, May 12, 2020 Last edited by Bapple™, May 12, 2020
      • Oct 25, 2012
        When you get it done i want to race it with my 69 Charger RT/SE
      • Apr 24, 2012
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Feb 27, 2012
          • Like Like x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Oct 25, 2012

Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy........as it was ment to be
          • Apr 24, 2012
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • Jun 17, 2014
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • Oct 25, 2012
                Keep the pics coming for fapping material, thanks!
              • Sep 7, 2010
                edit: yea there is a knob there. yes.. yes... killer on the road.
                edit: plastic bag?????
                edit: tbh you moving the wrench is okay
                edit: okay on the first video you threw that nut on the wrong way and it never got mentioned
                edit: got kinda hard when you talked about it being more lapping than sanding.
                edit: yeah.. you clean those tiny bits off.. with that wd40... that nasty residual crud...
                edit: that fucking rust really did come off with that lapping motion
                edit: plastic bag??????
                edit: yo doc lets do some carb cleaner sometime. (if you huff carb cleaner you are a fucking idiot)
                edit: al u min e um.. *shudders* sempai onegaishimasu
                edit: those bolts are totally in the right place
                good vids doc
                adinsx, Jul 18, 2020 Last edited by adinsx, Jul 18, 2020
              • Jul 13, 2008
                'Lube....'
                'Put it on the end and let it drip down....'
                'Im going in....'

all in ep 4...lol
              • Jun 17, 2014
                you Ford guys scare the shit out of me sometimes

edit: Try giving those bearing sleeves a little heat therapy with a torch and freeze the bearing before pressing in. Makes for a nice smooth fit and you don't have to worry about bending your table vice / redneck press :wink:
              • Jul 13, 2008
                I bet you got a redneck press!!!!
                • Funny Funny x 1
                • Jun 17, 2014
                  Heh. I actually do, works great for packing wheel bearings too. Great versatility.

F**k specialty tools. Sometimes you have to make do with what you have, and in this case I had a great idea and some Grade 8 all-thread, 5/8 Nuts, And washers!

(Side note; I can always change washers for whatever diameter bearing I may be packing/pressing.)
                  BearingPress

Just wait until you see my redneck tire machine!
                  Heh..
                  Bapple™, Jul 24, 2020 Last edited by Bapple™, Jul 24, 2020
                • Jun 17, 2014

@doc watson, I HAVE to ask why it is you're going with those old SMOG compliant 2 barrel 289 66 heads? :tremble:

Don't let the 54cc combustion chambers fool you, even the GOOD M-code Non-SMOG 289 heads flowed like crap, your J-code heads flow even worse & neither were ever intended for burning the unleaded fuel we use now days man. Those old school heads DO NOT LIKE the new unleaded pump gas. Without MAJOR valvetrain work done to them, I'm almost certain you'll end up with scorching valves, fouling plugs, burning pistons, or even lifting your headgaskets purely from spark knock/pre-detonation, and unfortunately, There is no amount of retarding the timing advance curve, changing out plugs, or re-adjusting spark gap will help you prevent this & it'll take alot more then just simple porting and polishing my friend.

That being said; I'd ditch those heads and start looking towards a new aftermarket set of fully-dressed 289 heads, or maybe even a used set of GT40P heads. They would save you money, time, elbow grease, and perform much better and efficiently in the long run.
                  (Not to mention, gives you a higher ceiling in case you ever to swap for a higher lift cam.)

Don't get me wrong, If you can manage to successfully grind off the SMOG humps, then do porting, polishing, screw in studs, valve grind, seats. retainers, springs, rocker arms & get GT40 valves installed into them, Then yeah you can make these heads become little monsters. But why the hell would you do that? Lol

Another pro engine builder tip as a friendly reminder,
                  289's have the steam holes directly above the bore, towards the lifter valley. 302's have them off to the side a bit. You're going to want the steam holes to match up again, so just take a head gasket and lay it on both the block and head and use the gasket to either drill a matching steam hole in either the block or head. Just make sure the holes line up & you're all good.

Keep up the build man! I can't wait to hear that 5.0 fire up for the first time. Hopefully my advice was helpful to some relevant extent. :beer:
                  Bapple™, Sep 14, 2020 Last edited by Bapple™, Sep 14, 2020