Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

First 2d side scroller

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by Who_er, Jan 29, 2013

1. Jan 13, 2013
    Anyone wanna work with me to make the first 2d side scroller?

Fixed camera angles and strategic distances would make it possible. Hit me up here if your interested!
  2. May 27, 2008
    I actually think it's been done before, so to call it the first wouldn't be accurate in the slightest.
  3. Jan 13, 2013
    Can you link me to a map? I know a person tried to make one, but it was LBP and never was finished to my knowledge.
  4. Feb 1, 2011
    mg_divine_multigames has a 2d side scroller type of thing for one of the modes. It's on minigames if you wanna check it out, not sure if it's exactly what you're talking about or not.
  5. Jul 4, 2011
    @Kaemon made a 2D system I believe, and was working on a map using it. Paul used the system in mg_divine_multigames as dillinger stated.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Jan 11, 2011
      Yeah, the system is made and I hope to get to the map someday. But before I go back to slacking on the 2D Minigame I have to finish slacking with Junon.

Eddie also made a 2D (top view) Space Ship Battle Mini Game map. Unlike my version (1 camera, edited/tested until it dind't bug) or Paul's one (view from the player perspective, no cameras no bugs) he was using 1 Camera per vehicle.
      It worked quite fine (the system itself), but he was getting bugs by time to time (people stuck in camera from previous round or not getting the new one); but I guess he could have polished those if he kept trying. He however dropped the map and didn't make a proper release after the test versions.

Here you can see a video of one of my early tests, the 3 Bullsquids are Hannibal, Luffaren and myself:

via http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeqgy0Z9EWc

Thats in-game view from Hannibal, who was playing. The big black borders were made by me to mark (on all depth levels) where the borders were located (which push players so they can't go out of the screen). However, Hannibal's resolution made those borders huge, while they were just a little frame (like on Top and Bottom) on my view...
      Still, they didn't look that bad, and it kinda helps having the Radar and names of people speaking on those borders instead of in the jump you are trying to make. XD

Also notice that this was just a normal Lan (Hamachi) server with Block ON, thats why we move so badly when we are close. XD
      Paul had a better video of a test we did in Steam Gamers with more models and a nicely done Mario Level, and up to 30-40 players playing it; but it was removed from Youtube at some point for some reason. I have to ask him if he has a copy somewhere.
      Kaemon, Jan 29, 2013 Last edited by Kaemon, Jan 29, 2013
    • Feb 1, 2011
      Wow!! This "test" level is super awesome and seems way more involved / complex than the stage on Paul's divine_multigames. Gosh, I hope that this system you guys came up with gets put to use more often in the future!