Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Floods, floods, floods

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Ray, Sep 18, 2008

1. Aug 18, 2006

I'll provide some background information:

I live in a small town called Chillicothe. It is located north of the city of Peoria. Chillicothe is linked to Rome. The town sits on a large river, the Illinois river. The Illinois river starts in Chicago and dumps into the Missisippi river. We get about 2-3 minor floods, 2 moderate flood, and 1 major flood every 10 years (ish).

Right.

So last week it decided to rain 8 inches in Chicago. Other areas along the river also got similar amounts. We got 7. Now as the water flows south as it dumps into the Mississippi River, more water gets added to it. A lot of it. Most of it is runoff. However, Chicago for some fucked up reason is dumping shitloads of water into the river. I mean shitloads. So to keep Chicago dry, they are helping the flood down stream where I live. Yay.

Right.

So my parents also own 4 (yes, you heard right), four (4) houses, guess where two of them sit? Right by the river. In Rome. So I ended up missing school today because I had to move shit out of them and sandbag them. The National Guard is here to aide in flood relief, and they had shitloads of sandbags, thank god for that. The other two houses are not by the river though. One is in Chillicothe while the other one is in Wyoming IL. This house is safe, thank god..

Right.

I went canoeing in my back yard today. Soon I may be able to whip out the jetskies. I decided to take some pictures of the current damage:

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

The two properties sit about 50 yards back, while the other one sits about 100 years back. It will be several feet under water by the time I type this:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

The river has come up significantly since I took these shots. Lets just say my day sucked.
  2. Mar 15, 2008
  3. Dec 30, 2006
    Best of luck to you Ray. In times of these, nothing can stop mother nature. :\
  4. Jul 16, 2008
  5. Aug 18, 2006
    Update: the river is a lot higher now, crest dates keep getting pushed forward. Sandbags are holding.

Thomas: floods are serious and very very costly. Sure, we don't have wind damage, but we have water damage.
  6. Mar 15, 2008
    I live next to the water cam i think i know what water damage is xD

But all the best

(i only gots 1 house lol)
  7. Dec 30, 2006
    Water damage sucks because i dont think house insurance covers water damage. Which is a shame.
  8. Feb 21, 2007
    it does ck, but you have to specifically have water damage insurance. Anywho, that sucks cam, hopefully damage isnt too bad for you guys. Hopefully the flood wont trickle down the mississippi to St. Louis. I remember the flood of '93 still.
  9. Jul 31, 2007
    Thats a shitnami sized shitwave if I ever did see one.

You're in the eye of a shiticane Cam.
  10. Aug 18, 2006

11. Aug 18, 2006

The sandbags don't work!

Anyways, river is going back down. Yay.
  12. Jul 16, 2008
  13. Dec 30, 2006