Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Florida Shooting

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Benvolio, Mar 29, 2012

1. Mar 4, 2012
    Hey PF, just wondering if anyone has been following the Trayvon Martin shooting that happened recently and if so how do you feel about it?

For those of you that are not familiar with the case, here are some facts that I have read/heard

1) Trayvon Martin went out to a 7/11 (or similar store) to buy skittles and an Arizona tea.
    2) While returning to his family member's house inside a gated community he was spotted by George Zimmerman, the community appointed neighborhood watch captain, he was legally carrying a Kel Tec PF9 9mm handgun at the time.
    3) Zimmerman, still in his SUV, calls 911 to report suspicious activity (in reference to Trayvon Martin... also of note, there had recently been a string of robberies inside this gated community).
    4) Zimmerman leaves his SUV and walks toward Martin, who proceeds to take off.
    5) Zimmerman follows Martin despite the dispatcher's saying "We don't need you to do that."
    6) Zimmerman loses track of Martin and heads back toward his SUV.
    7) Martin confronts Zimmerman and then attacks him, punching him in the face, which knocks him down.
    8) Martin gets on top of Zimmerman and begins hitting him
    - One witness saw the scuffle, claims Zimmerman's account is true.
    - Another witness only heard the struggle, came out after the fact and believes Zimmerman is lying.
    9) Zimmerman shoots Martin.
    10) The witness that only heard the scuffle comes out and asks Zimmerman if he is okay.
    11) Zimmerman tells her to call the police.
    12) The police come and attempt to perform CPR on Martin but to no avail, Zimmerman is cleaned up by paramedics and take to the police station where he is interrogated for 5 hours and then released.
    13) Zimmerman has not been charged as the police do not have any evidence to do so.

That is what I have reconstructed based on various articles I have read.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...erman-profile-20120329,0,3452783.story?page=2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Mar 13, 2010
      Problem is you have plenty of black rights groups involved now. And what would have been a normal case is now a 'national scandal' and 'hate crime'.
    • Oct 29, 2010
      It's all hearsay, no actual evidence on the case last I heard; as far as how/why it went down anyway.
    • Mar 4, 2012
      Well they released the police report from the responding officer.

Zimmerman had blood on his nose and on the back of his head and his back was wet.
      So he at the very least was attacked.

Yup.
      http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/28/justice/florida-tourists-murder-trial/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn
      No hate crime here?

God people are ridiculous.
    • Mar 13, 2010
      I was commentating on how the media can turn anything into a hate crime when its "white on black". I quote that because when they originally began reporting it they erroneously claimed that Zimmerman was white rather than Hispanic.
    • Jan 8, 2012
      It's pretty fucking dumb how black people can get away with a lot... [IMG]

In the end this black girl goes around calling people names, saying shes going to kill people all over a stupid fucking question and nothing happens to her. If some white dude went around saying "nigger this" I'm going to all black people in some class, the NAACP would be all over it, and it would be a national thing.

Society is all a bunch of chauvinistic, racist people, and it's very biased IMO.

I think after watching that video I learned the different between the n word and a black person.
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Nov 29, 2010
        From how the story goes, Zimmerman was the one who provoked the attack.

However other than peacefully resolving the incident, Martin attacks him. Zimmerman then had the right to defend himself.

Both parties are at fault in their own sense, however society ticks differently.
      • Mar 12, 2008
        The fucker was carrying a gun around in public. Even if it was Legal that's just something you don't do, especially around a gated community.

Glad he was sorted out.
      • Oct 29, 2010
        The moral of the story... the media is fucking stupid.
        • Agree Agree x 3
        • Feb 14, 2012
          When you don't have a lick of evidence as to what actually happened. SPECULATE!
        • Jan 22, 2012
          yeah he had a right to defend himself but not to break out a gun, shoot him, and kill him.... especially when the dude was an unarmed... when someone attacks you with their fists you dont automatically kill him.. thats just going to far dont you think?
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Mar 4, 2012

I think you need to take it into context. If you had a gun on you and someone was on top of you, beating the shit out of you, and you don't know when or if he is going to stop, don't tell me you're not going to shoot the guy. You can say you wouldn't shoot the guy but until you've been in that situation you cannot comment.

If you don't shoot the guy and you lose consciousness and are lucky enough to survive, there is a possibility that the attacker took your weapon.
            Now you have an armed thug roaming the streets with YOUR stolen handgun which could potentially get someone else KILLED.

Now that's a slippery slope but I feel that the shooting was justified - IF - Zimmerman was attacked first.
          • Jan 22, 2012
            yeah i see ur point but i have been attack like that and had dude on top going at me but i didnt have a gun i had a knife and let me tell u i didnt just jump to stabbing or cutting his throat... theres plenty of things u can do to prevent a punch other than a gun thats all im saying. and honestly whos to say hes a thug?? and the dude shouldnt of been carrying a gun in a gated community
          • Nov 29, 2010
            As far as American laws go, within context you are allowed to pull a gun on an unarmed attacker. Legally carrying a firearm and appointed neighbourhood watch, something you'd see on a high-level security guard or police officer. The only thing this guy has done wrong was provoke an attack. If this man was a stranger in the community then I can sympathize with his motives.

If an attacker comes at you unprovoked, and attempts to either beat the shit out of you, or go for your weapon, then yeah, you have the right defend youself with deadly force. You don't know if he wants to kill you, but then again you don't know if a man pointing a gun at you wants to kill you either, chances are he's going to kill you.
          • Jan 22, 2012
            you a completely right but was he ne kind of law enforcement and is it really necessary to carry a gun on a neighborhood watch? when ur on a neighborhood watch your not supposed to take matters in ur own hands you report it and leave to actual law enforcement right?
          • Mar 4, 2012
            You may know of plenty of things to prevent a punch without a gun but did Zimmerman?

You're looking at this incident from YOUR point of view. Attempt to drop the bias and look at it through Zimmerman's (and Martin's).

As far as Zimmerman is concerned Martin is a thug. The kid was wearing clothing which concealed his face, took off after being confronted and then assaulted him as he was returning to his car.

As far as carrying a weapon inside a gated community, it was Zimmerman's gated community. It was his HOME. I do not understand where people fail to understand this. He was protecting his COMMUNITY. I suppose in today's society no one believes that they have a duty to uphold the safety of the community which is why they cannot understand why someone would be on neighborhood watch nor why someone would be carrying LEGALLY.

I really do not understand the statement "the dude shouldnt of been carrying a gun in a gated community". Well where the hell is he supposed to carry his weapon? Concealed carry is meant for use outside of one's own home. Are you saying people should only be allowed to use weapons in self defense inside their homes? Well if that's your opinion so be it but according to Florida law Zimmerman is not at fault.

I feel as if the media and the majority of the American populace are just sheep. No one appreciates the sheep-dog doing his job until the wolves come howling.

http://warriorofsuccess.com/on-sheep-wolves-and-sheepdogs-dave-grossman.htm
          • Nov 29, 2010
            That is true, but doesn't take out the factor that he was assaulted.
          • Apr 29, 2011
            I'm on the side of this being completely blown out of proportion. I witnessed a flame war started by this in the campus shuttle on the way to class. Even the bus driver got involved. Of course, I am about 2 hours away from the place where it happened, but still. Many are getting caught up on the races involved part rather than the actual incident.
          • Jan 22, 2012
            yeah but only bc he went to far... after he reported it he did his job. no need to jump out and go after him to confront him, dispatcher even said "We don't need you to do that."