Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Folding@home

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Ghost, Jan 10, 2013

What do you think of folding?

Will help out. 4 vote(s) 36.4%
Nice idea but I wont help out. 2 vote(s) 18.2%
I think this is a bad idea. 1 vote(s) 9.1%
Does folding make paper airplanes? D: 4 vote(s) 36.4%
  1. May 14, 2011
    Well I was talking to brett about Folding@home and he didn't know what it is.

So I thought I would make this thread to let people know about folding@.home

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Folding@.home is at its core "distributed computing". This is based on the theory that computers around the world can do more work than one super computer on its own. So what you do is download a client that adds your computer to the "cloud" and your computer helps with its own resources.

People more into computers may be thinking "well this has existed before". Prime95 was a good example of this. For those of you that don't know Prime95 was a program developed for the sole purpose of finding prime numbers. A quite pointless task to be honest. Prime95 later was adapted into a CPU stress test because of how much it strained your CPU.

Whats different about Folding@.home is that it actually makes a difference. Folding at home is all about folding proteins. This can help combat diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease. Now this is all just a paste of some waffle about this from the website that can explain it way better than I do.

So that's all the waffle done.

A more first hand account of this from me on what actually happens.

You download the client and it installs basically by itself. By default it runs at 100% cpu. Now this doesn't mean that it uses 100% of your CPU by itself. It constantly adapts to what your computer actually needs to do. So if you were playing CS:S and that used 50% cpu then the client would use the other 50%. And yes you do barely notice it.

In advanced you can change the % the client will use all the way from 100% to 0% depending on how you feel so it doesn't have to stress your CPU the whole time.

There is also a Team part to this. People create teams to see who can gain more compute points and you also get your own personal folding ppd (point per day) approximation and score.

Thanks for reading if you got this far and hope you can help out!

Link to folding website: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
      Ghost, Jan 10, 2013 Last edited by Ghost, Jan 10, 2013
    • May 12, 2012
    • Aug 18, 2006
    • Jun 11, 2012
      You can also fold with your chrome browser. Personally I've been doing this for the past couple of years.
    • Feb 14, 2012
    • Apr 12, 2012
      • Feb 21, 2007
        I've been participating in this for years. Since the Pentium3 days, if I remember correctly.
        really?
      • May 15, 2011
        I don't really understand. Does this mean, when I compile a map, I'll be getting help from other people? So my compile times will shorten?
      • May 14, 2011

when I compile a map -> when they need to "compile" something

I'll be getting help from other people -> You and thousands of others will be helping a few people

So my compile times will shorten? -> So thier compile times will shorten?

Also change every compile time to "folding"
      • May 15, 2011
        So I'm just giving my CPU power to someone I have no fucks for and receiving nothing in return? Bleh.
      • Apr 12, 2012
      • Feb 14, 2012
        It's called cloud computing. If you have issues sharing it's not for you. Keep in mind the majority of your processor is unused on a daily basis.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
      • May 14, 2011
        Incorrect its called distributed computing. :wink:
      • Jun 11, 2012
        The idea use to be that the browser itself will just do the folding instead of you installing a app. I should have said used to be. They quickly found out that the client itself is more effective than a overhead browser CPU usage from the browser itself. They are however trying to make a extension for Chrome since it would be a great thing for the ChromeOS that Google is planning.
        Post Merged, Jan 11, 2013
        You are tottaly right you don't receive anything. But here's what you are contributing: the resources not being used by your processing power of your PC. There is not big MACHINE that can unfold proteins thus by using multiple processors but by distributing the workload, we can speed it up and unravel what was once a mystery that could lead to medical advancement by ten fold.
      • May 14, 2011
        Or we can try and help find aliens like @Ray
      • Jun 11, 2012
        Yeah I should have mentioned SETI. I thought about it after I wrote that.
      • Feb 14, 2012

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2