Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Framerate and Sound Issues in CS:S only

Discussion in Technical Support started by Ajfonty, Jan 18, 2012

1. Jul 10, 2011
    Hi all,

In CS:S I get two unique problems that only occur in valve games I own: whenever noises, such as gunfire and music, are playing in the game, I hear a static sound in addition to the sound itself. Also, I've noticed my framerate drops like a rock when I'm on the server, but I don't think it's a server issue.

My PC is good (8 GB ram and ATI 5500-something) and my audio driver is IDT HD CODEC, which are both up to date as far as I can tell. Anyone have any advice?
  2. Jun 4, 2006
    The static could be due to your audio driver's buffer size set too low, it's unable to utilize enough samples for the sound being outputted, thus you hear a static, crackling sound. If your driver is determined to not be the issue, perhaps the card is having connectivity issues, either via wire or how it's seated in your case. Do the obvious just to rule it out - make sure it's fully in and connected, then make sure your wires are all connected fully as well (I doubt this is it, but it doesn't hurt to rule it out).

You say this _only_ occurs in valve games? No where else? What OS? Win 7 x64?
  3. Dec 6, 2011
    I have a somewhat decent GPU and even I drop to 10fps at a few parts. Something like predator at spawn with 50+ other people running around is almost impossible not to drop below 30fps unless your Johnny and have $1,500 worth of GPU's in your computer.
  4. Jun 4, 2006
    There appears to be a bug with the audio driver(s) you use, each time the GPU throttles it causes a DPC latency spike, this will thus cause crackling, stuttering audio. This could explain why it's happening only in-game.

You can try to uninstall the IDT HD driver completely, reboot windows, and then let windows try and determine your audio and install a driver for it (presuming you're on windows 7). One guy did this and said his audio performance improved, and windows 7 had installed a 'High Definition Audio Device' in the process.

Short of this, I'd make sure your BIOS, chipset, and audio drivers are up to date.
  5. Dec 28, 2010
    i have the same problem with the cpu too. i usually get around 8-10 fps with everything turn off and when going to old maps it suddenly went up to a 60 fps and stay until the map change to a new map. then i started to get around 10 fps. 20 fps is good for almost everything. also try to turn off everything esle you dont need such as IE etc. i have a geforce GTX 260m (one of the best GPU) and i still running around 10 to 20 fps. either you turbo boost your cpu, get a different GPU, or change where you start the game (i mean were you turn your computer on and play) or change your router.

also go to the option of CSS and turn the other sound off.
  6. Jul 10, 2011
    Thanks for the help guys. The static sound problem occurs *only* in valve games (CS:S and Dota 2 come to mind), in other games it's fine. In fact, when I am in CS:S, and alt-tab to youtube, the youtube video starts having static, even though that does not occur normally. I'm going to try your suggestion and see if Windows 7 can install a new set (64-bit).

As for the low framerate, I ran the video stress test option in CS:S and it measured my framerate as 111, even though it clearly drops to single digits on the server -- should I assume that some of the maps (Predator, Minas, etc.) are just so large/draining that it would drop my framerate?
  7. Feb 18, 2011
    It varys from the server to even the type of map. If it is very big with like 63 others in it with zombies on fire and more it goes down significantly. I have a radeon 5450 so I feel your pain.
  8. Mar 20, 2011
    Well I can say one thing, this may or may not be your issue. I went SSD and after my new install I did run into issues with frame rates going horrible after a few seconds of joining a game and video issues. Once I updated my ACHI drivers it resolved all my issues. You should do everything that was listed in the posts above me as well, but it is worth a try. See in your bios if you even have ACHI enabled. If it is not enabled you can turn it on, but beware sometimes you will not be able to boot unless you have the ACHI drivers installed before changing modes from RAID or IDE. I also have changed my fps_max in my autoexec.cfg file and when not much is going on I have hit over 700FPS on CSS so give it a shot!

9. Jul 10, 2011
    Thanks for the advice!

I seemed to have solved the audio issue. To be honest, I couldn't tell you what I did to fix it, but I updated several seemingly unimportant drivers, one of which was the ATI HDMI Audio driver that I assumed had to do with HDMI, and that fixed it. Now, I have no idea whether that drive was the problem, but that was the only audio driver that I could update. I updated about 24 drivers in all, but most were unneccesary for the audio problem (ie, printer and keyboard drivers).

As for the video problem, I ran a bit of a test to check what the problem is: I joined the server with settings at max (which, with my PC, I'd be comfortable running on another similar game), and ran into the terrible fps problem (single digit fps). I then changed the video settings to minimum, including textures and resolution, and rejoined the server -- the fps stayed the same (single digits at some points), or improved only very, very, very slightly.

I have no idea what that means though.
  10. Mar 20, 2011
    I would try turning of vsync as well but this will only help going over 60FPS