Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Fraps help

Discussion in Software Sanctuary started by Gonepostal3000, Jan 16, 2012

1. Jul 24, 2011
    Hey guys, so I just got the full verison of fraps and I'm having trouble with something.

For some odd reason, when I record a 10 minute video on me in-game; it'll make 3 video files. The first two videos are about 4 minutes long each and are 3.95gb each. The 3rd one is the remaining 2 minutes.

I was wondering how come i'm getting 3 different video files for a single video, and why they are being so large(4gb each???) any help would be nice:smile:
  2. Jun 4, 2006
    fraps records in an uncompressed .avi format, which explains the very large size. I suppose it's automatically splitting the recordings into chunks for various reasons (preserve audio sync, keep filesize to something manageable, make it easier to import clips or sections of footage that you want instead of huge 100gb 20minute file). Fraps certainly isn't meant to be a straight from game to youtube ordeal because of this. People that use fraps import their uncompressed raw footage into an editor, do their magic, and then encode it to a compressed format for youtube or whatever. This is just my speculation of course, I don't know if Fraps has any options in regard to file splitting or recording in a different format/codec, as I don't use fraps and the last time I did was years ago.

ps. this was the appropriate place to post this, as fraps is software. :smile:
  3. Jul 24, 2011
    Jesus that was a lot. So what should I do..? I honestly have no experience with editting, and half the stuff you said I dont even understand. I could perform brain surgery better than I could figure out how to use fraps.
  4. Jan 10, 2009
    when you finish recording. just use Windows Movie Maker for starters. drag and drop. chop. chop.
  5. Jun 4, 2006
    what are you TRYING to do? Record something and throw it on youtube or what? you may not need an editor if you dont want to actually edit your footage, as in, you want those raw 10 minutes on youtube just as they are, in this case you just need to re-encode them, though I'm not sure if you can merge 3 .avi files in the process... you may need an editor just to line the clips up chronologically and then render / encode that to the compressed format for youtube... which is also easy, and can be done with any editor... windows movie maker, sony vegas, adobe premiere, etc, though windows movie maker is shit for encoding, and you'd be better off exporting from that as an uncompressed .avi and then encoding it elsewhere, like with windows media encoder... unless you don't care much for the video quality in which case fraps -> windows movie maker to line the clips up -> youtube would work.
  6. Jul 4, 2011
    There is a limit on how big an avi file can be which is why Fraps splits them like that. As Brian said, you will need to import the clips and render them with a video editing software, shouldn't be very difficult if all you want to do is make them into one video, import the clips -> export. I myself use Sony Vegas but Windows moviemaker would work as well. Good luck. :thumbsup:
  7. Nov 29, 2010
    As Brian stated earlier; FRAPS record uncompressed AVI files, also, the files tend to be huge, especially if played in recorded in 1080p. The file size limit is 4gb.

If you want smaller file chunks for fraps, I suggest limiting the frame rate and lowering your game resolution. FRAPS is very CPU intensive so make sure your computer can handle

if you want to publish movies, I suggest getting editing software like Sony Vegas, or Adobe After Effects. If you don't have the money, go get Windows Live Movie Maker (Piece of shit, but better than nothing).

(There is of course torrenting hush hush)
  8. Jan 7, 2009
    Try Virtualdub. It's free, and it has a bunch of different encoding options. It's also really easy to join multiple files together. It's what I use.
  9. Jul 24, 2011
    Alright so I am using Windows Live Movie Maker to compress my Fraps videos. After making the video, I upload the video file onto WLMM but my screen goes black:

[IMG]

It'll play but I can't see what it is I am doing because my "view screen" is black. How do I fix this???
  10. Jul 4, 2011
    I've had this problem as well, fixed it by re-rendering the video. Not sure what causes it. :confused:
  11. Jul 24, 2011
  12. Jul 4, 2011
  13. Nov 29, 2010
    this may help. Windows live is a terrible program imo because when you want to render hd movies, it'll crap out on you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BYFcrvOxDA
  14. Jul 24, 2011
    I've already seen that video, tried what he did, and it didnt help. I swapped to Expression Encoder 4 and I'm Encoding my video right now as we speak. Hopefully I'll get some better results with this.