Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Free To Play Games Have Arrived on Steam

Discussion in Gaming started by Google, Jun 15, 2011

1. Feb 1, 2010
    Five F2P Launch Titles Offering Exclusive Content to Celebrate Launch

Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today introduced support for Free to Play (F2P) Games on Steam with the launch of five F2P games.

Available immediately, the launch titles are Spiral Knights, Forsaken Worlds, Champions Online: Free for All, Global Agenda: Free Agent, and Alliance of Valliant Arms (AVA).

Beginning tomorrow (Weds) with Spiral Knights and concluding Sunday with AVA, each of the five launch titles will offer exclusive in-game content to those who try the "F2P game of the day" on Steam. In game transactions in all of the titles will be supported by Steam's micro-transaction backend system that is available to Steamworks partners and currently used in Valve's Team Fortress 2.

"The introduction of Free to Play games is another example of the constant evolution of Steam," said Jason Holtman, director of business development at Valve. "Free to Play games offer new game genres and game experiences for customers, while offering developers and publishers new revenue opportunities and the ability to reach customers in areas of the world where the traditional packaged goods model is less popular than F2P."

Specific details on the F2P games of the day and their exclusive in-game content will be made available in the coming days.

Steam is a leading platform for PC & Mac games and digital entertainment serving over 1,500 games to over 30 million active accounts worldwide. For more information, please visit www.steamgames.com

http://store.steampowered.com/news/5657/
  2. Apr 13, 2011

[IMG]
  3. Feb 1, 2010
    Can we stay on topic? Dont make retards comments like this ^
  4. Feb 20, 2011
    hmm.... could be interesting, might have to check it out, still have that Alien game they released for free a little while back.
  5. Jan 30, 2011
    Playing Spiral Knights right now, pretty fun game for being free to play. Somewhat resembles torchlight but with multiplayer capabilities.
  6. Mar 16, 2008
    I was playing Spiral Knights last night, I enjoyed it.
  7. Feb 1, 2011
    LOL like you haven't trolled my threads? GTFO nooooooooooooooob
  8. Apr 9, 2007
    That's on topic. Drop the s on retard, otherwise it is quite ironic.
  9. Feb 1, 2010
    Yea, Spiral Knights is realy awesome game. [IMG]
  10. Dec 28, 2010
    i dont get it. so where is the free games.
  11. Apr 9, 2007

mmo ftp - i bet it has a cash shop
  13. Sep 6, 2010
    That's pretty cool. Sometimes they have big sales on some games that you can buy for like $2-5. Thanks for posting this :smile:
  14. Feb 18, 2011
    To be honest, I don't think theese games are really that good. The best was probably Global Agenda and even that wasnt so good in my opinion. I don't know about you, but I think Steam just did that to make them a better marketing tool.
  15. Jun 10, 2011
    Been playing Spiral Knights for a couple of months now, it's always been free to play...

All adding to Steam has done is improved the in-game economy, and made the makers a hell of a lot more money!
  16. Feb 18, 2011
    Ninja[IMG] and Steam go well together. But when they do stealth ideas to reel buyers in I poop myself.
    Seccond line like most. I do hope most know it is a marketing scheme.
  17. Mar 16, 2008
    I wish I was more rich on Spiral Knights so I could afford gear *cough* *cough*
  18. May 27, 2008
    Spend the $5 and get the 1600 energy, convert it to Crowns. Problem solved.
  19. Oct 29, 2010
    We set a guild up on Spiral Knights, Add Momoiya and let me know if you want in. =D