Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

func_rotating broken?

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by ColdZero, Jun 9, 2013

1. Jul 17, 2012
    Dunno if anyone of you know the map mg_100traps_v3 but it seems that all func_rotating enity's stop working after some time.

At the beginning they were working, but after some time they suddenly stop working. Due the trigger_push and others are still active it's almost impossible to pass the trap.

Anyone knows something about it? You can download the demo from another server i saw it happen. Maybe could be due the last CSS update.

Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. Feb 3, 2012
    I'm familiar with the map but I haven't noticed any problem with it.
  3. Feb 24, 2011
    I've seen similar issues across several maps over time. I have no clue what might cause it, other than Valve doing some jerkaderkaherpa with engine updates?
    I also remember having recent issues parenting some entities to func_rotating's aswell. I personally find them to have become more and more unstable with time.
  4. Apr 9, 2012
    Lol, what else are we all gonna find, first shroomforest derping, now this MG map. I would have no solution though, does it only happen on that server, or does it too in single player?
    Post Merged, Jun 9, 2013
    A darng, well hopefully maps like your predator or other ones won't get bugged as well, or we can't play anything anymore xD
  5. Nov 11, 2011
  6. Jul 17, 2012
    Didnt tried in singleplayer, only in Multiplayer.
  7. Mar 30, 2013
    The rescue butterfly of level 1 is glitched but you can stay on the plate-form, if you go ahead the chain.
  8. Jul 17, 2012
    Ok me and some people found out that after func_rotating reaches a certain score the engine can't handle it anymore and it stops working. Seems to be an issue after one of the last updates.
  9. Apr 9, 2012
    a score? Is the func_rotating a player or something?
  10. Nov 11, 2011
  11. May 31, 2012
    Some young outcast and I already found of it a few days, and he posted it at the Github they have now to report bugs, or so he said he was going to do. It seems to overflow at a time and die completely, since at lower speeds it takes longer to blow up.
    enviolinador, Jun 9, 2013 Last edited by enviolinador, Jun 10, 2013
  12. Mar 8, 2013
    they stop working after a certain number of rotations. i've noticed that a func_rotating with a maxspeed of 500 glitches out after about 10 minutes. luckily for me and my map, rounds don't normally go on for that long.
  13. Mar 26, 2009
    func_rotating has been broken for years off and on.

Basically the problem is that the engine counts the angle of the func_rotating entity upwards on whatever axis it's rotating on, but isn't clamped. What's supposed to happen is that whenever the func_rotating reaches an angle of 359 on any axis, it's supposed to reset to 0.

So basically the func_rotating keeps counting up angles until whatever value the angle is stored in overflows and the entity breaks. I think it can get up to 359000.00 before a func_rotating stops.

There is a HL1 plugin to fix the problem: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=45346 but I don't know of a source equivalent.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Mapping King Mapping King x 1
    • Jul 3, 2012
      Sorry for necrobump but.. any ideas how to fix these stupid annoying rotating bugs??
    • May 31, 2012
      The one thing you could try is reversing the movement angular direction after some time. I haven't tried it myself, and I think that those who have tried it -I've suggested it before- couldn't get it to work, but trying again won't hurt. If the func_rotating is always working, you could make-do with a rotating texture -there are guides out there explaining how to do it, you'll need to write some proxies on a custom .vmt-. Finally, you could probably do it with physics; this will have a greater performance overhead in multiplayer games because of the amount of information that physics send to the server -and the clients-.
    • Feb 27, 2012
      Do you think that the same thing could be coded for SM? Because if so, that could bring back some ZE maps that were removed from rotation.
    • May 31, 2012
      I believe a SM could probably (easily?) check every once in a while if the distance has reached a breaking point, store the entity's properties and kill it to then recreate it with the same modelindex, targetname, speed and whatnot. It would 'flicker', though.
    • Nov 11, 2011
      Why not just use templates to kill the entities after a while and forcerespawn them to reset?
    • Feb 27, 2012
      Flicker once it recreates? Or constantly flicker? I'm not familiar with sourcemod lol.
    • May 31, 2012
      You'd need to edit the map for that. Given that rotatings are very common, I doubt that's feasible, even if simply entspying it all, because it affects all maps that happen to use rotatings.
      I said it would flicker because you'd kill the entity and recreate it, so it would be at the original distance and stopped. I think it wouldn't be hard to determine if it is in movement (to make it move again), but there would be a 'jump' at times (maybe it wouldn't even be seen at all/barely).

It doesn't have to do with SM, but with the fact that you're recreating the entity so it'll be back at the initial position.